3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
Let me know where your farm is and I'll do some advance scouting for you... like you need my help!
   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Ron,

Haven't seen hide nor hair, but didn't have cameras up on that one due to being a 1/2 mile walk in to get the cards. Didn't want to be intruding on the deer sweatin it up all summer!!

Ryan, I'll most likely be around, hard to pry me outta N MO 1st 2 weeks of Nov!!  :D  

This is for Darrel, David has been textin me reports this eve,

3:33 pm - 14 turkey and 6 deer while hangin some stands

4:05 pm -forkhorn passed at 5 yds

4:21 pm - small buck w/2 does

Last text, I will go check on em in a bit!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Darrell M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
Kenny I just got off the phone with David a few moments ago. Sounds like they're seeing lots of deer!!!!!  Saturday can't get here fast enough.
Gotta take care if those Black Friday shoppers and then I'm outa here    :goldtooth:   Gonna be hard to keep my foot off the petal.  
I gotta feeling one of them is going to fling and arrow or two tomorrow!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
David and crew should be home by now, so y'all can go ahead and pressure them til they tell their tales!!  :goldtooth:  

One more group of guys at years end....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: November 29, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
Well, we need some stories, sleep and unpacking can wait!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
Well fellas, here we go.  Last year as soon as Darrell and I pulled out on HWY 5 going home we started planning this years hunt.  What a place to hunt!  I like to hunt hard.  No messing around.  We are here to hunt deer.  That kind of hunting.

This year me and my son Noah (red wolf archer)went ahead of my son-in-law Darrell by a couple days.  We got to Linneus about 11:30 a.m. and visited with Kenny for a while and unloaded the truck.  Went to south lease to hang a couple stands in places we saw lots of deer last year.  While hanging the stands we kicked up 14 turkey and 4 doe.  Three of the doe didn't even run off.  They just hung around.

We decided to let those spots wait till morning and go to north lease and sit a couple stands Kenny already had hanging.  I went to n.e. corner of the property where I missed a deer last year and Noah hunted Charlie's stand.  That is what we called it because Charlie had some good luck from it already this year.  I'm gonna tell my side of the hunt and get ol red wolf to tell his.

It was a very exciting first afternoon.  We had been worried about not seeing deer because we were hunting after gun season and during a special gun doe season.  I climbed up about 3:15 and by 4:00 I already had a great opportunity on a fork horn at 5 yards.  I let him walk.  A few minutes later I heard a buck grunt behind me.  I eased my head around to see a small buck hurding around a couple doe in the bean field about 40 yards away.  I tried to keep my eye on him and the doe but they were very active.  He grunted several times and acted like he was going to move on so I grunted back at him.  This scared the largest do so badly you would think she had been shot!  That was the last I saw of them.  Right at dark I saw three more doe moving down the east fence line about 100 yards away.  What a way to start a hunt!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
:campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
:coffee:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
My hopes were ,with one gun hunter 30 yards from the edge of the big parcel of land, the deer on adjoining farms would move into the property to take refuge with no human intrusion.

I think it sorta worked like that!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
Kenny was wrong, it didn't sorta work it really worked!  I told him a few months ago I felt good about seeing deer and boy did we.

On day two of the hunt we went out extra early  (5:30 a.m.) to get on the stands.  Soon after daylight I saw a big bodied deer on the south edge of the draw walking around the bean field.  Didn't appear to be feeding.  It had it's head downd and moving pretty quick.  I figure it to be a buck.  Mid morning I saw three doe move into the woods very close to spot I saw the big bodied deer.  I soon lost sight of them.  Near 9:30 I had two doe bust me at 15 yards.  Sneaky were they.  I never saw or heard them till it was too late.

Noah was a turkey magnet all week.  He had turkey all around him all mornig but no deer.  Don't know about you guys but I can hardly blink my eyes while in a tree and the turkeys are gone.

We got off our stands about 10:30 and went to camp for some late breakfast.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
"Noah was a turkey magnet all week. He had turkey all around him all mornig but no deer. Don't know about you guys but I can hardly blink my eyes while in a tree and the turkeys are gone."

Wearin blaze orange don't help there either!! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
Sorry guys for not getting back to this sooner.  Been out of town and am heading out again tomorrow.

Thursday afternoon neither of us saw deer.  We were hunting stands that produced last year and had some good sign but not many daytime deer.  It was also a south wind stand.  The wind was supposed to change to the north on Friday.  

Friday morning the wind had changed to north and was blowing 30 mph.  The temp was also about 30.  Brutal cold for us warm blooded Arkansasans.  I hunted the "gap" stand and Noah went back to Charlie's stand on the north property.

I lasted about 1 hour maybe.  The wind and cold about blew me out of my tree.  I decided to get down about 7:30.  I was in the process of getting my pack and quiver on and turned to see a doe being chased by a shooter buck about 30 yards away.  Should I stay or should I go?  I was wanting to stay but was so cold I could not stand it.  I decided to get down.  I lowered my bow and turned loose of the string.  I truned to climb down and 4 doe were staring at me from 20 yards.  :banghead:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
You needed one of these that day!!  :campfire:  

I was slaving over the hot shop tools that morning!!  :goldtooth:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
That was 6 deer in about 10 minutes.  I climbed down and deciced to make a real big circle and sneak back into the wind to where the deer had all gone.  They had all gone to a spot the deer guide Kenny M had told me about the night before.  

I circled around to the dried up creek that the deer had gone to.  It took me about an hour or so to get there.  I had just found a nice root wad to sit on and looked up to see a deer coming my way.  I got ready!  I steadied my feet and stood up.  It was coming perfect.  My heart went from really excited to let down a little when a pretty big bodied spike passed by me at 15 yards.

I felt pretty good about the spot.  It would be good for a north or south wind.  I sat there another hour.  Then I saw him.  I saw a no doubter.  A really big bodied buck with a head full of big yellow antlers.  He worked his way around the creek on the far side at about 40 yards.  Passed by and never knew I was anywhere around.  Jumped a fence and was gone.

I deciced that this is where I was going to spend as much time as I could to try to get a shot at this deer.

The weather was terrible and I had seen 8 deer by 11:00.  Now to put up a stand and hopefully see this buck again.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
"deer guide Kenny M"

:laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Noah hunted the north property and was determined to sit the bad weather longer than ole dad.  He figured he would never hear the end of it if he called it a morning.  He didn't know that old dad had already hit the ground.  :D  

He saw a doe and a nice shooter buck crosing the field at the rock crossing but no shot.

We met for a snak and talked out our morning.  I told him of my plan and we decided to try to scout a new spot out for him.  I wanted to try a spot that Darrell and I liked last year but never hunted on the south property.  

We'll call this he levee stand.  We found lots of sign.  I'll bet we found at least 10 fresh scrapes that stretched out about 50-60 yards.  We set Noah up where the deer were transitioning from bean fields and the woods and thickets.  A natural funnel.  It looked great!

We set up the stand in a pin oak close to an old levee.  A small tree with lots of limbs.  He was hidden very well.  The deer would come in close.  Hope he shoots straight is what I was thinking.

We set me up in the dry creek about 20 yards from where the big buck jumped the fence to the big thicket.  Back to camp for a little rest before the evening hunt.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Kenny, I thought you would like the deer guide handle.  Ha Ha!

I may not be the smartest guy around but when a hunter tells me he saw more than one group of deer go to a certain place.  I pay attention!
  :goldtooth:

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
We didn't get much rest.  Time to go.  Wind was still howeling.  I saw of all things another spike!  Noah saw a great big buck trailing a doe about 40-50 yards behind him.  No shots.  But we felt we had great stands for the next couple days.  The wind was supposed to blow west north west for the next few days.  We were really excited about what we had seen.  Both of us were on really good bucks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©