3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Have you ever started a trip with the intention of getting a jump on things only to have every irritating little detail pop up and ruin your best laid plans?

Yeah, I'm sure it happens to everybody, but it sure seems it singles me out more often than not. This trip was like that.

I'd planned an early start on the morning before the scheduled start of the hunt. That would give me time to visit with Kenny about a custom lamination grinding sled I had in mind and with luck I'd get in the woods for a little tree stand time.
Yeah! Right!!

The truck was packed and ready and I was finishing off one last cup of coffee and updating email when  a note came through from the printer of my book.
They needed edits done on several pages and it was holding up the process.
There was absolutely nothing to do but get it done. It was fairly painless, but time consuming. I made the edits and sent them then had to wait for confirmation from my liaison.

When that came through I jumped in Silver (I call my truck Silver. It's white like the Lone Ranger's horse. That's not weird... right?) With a full tank of gas I was off like a herd of turtles.

While waiting for word from the printer my wife informed me that there was insurance paperwork that just had to be taken care of immediately.
To get the proper papers done before the hunt I'd need to stop at the VA hospital in Columbia, Missouri.
Since that had to be done and the VA facility was "kind of" on the way I changed my route and plans to suit.

In the end I got to Linneus late in the day with only enough time to drive around looking at the hunt properties from the county roads.
I wasn't going to let the interference's ruin my mood or the start of a great hunt. I'd waited too long with too much anticipation.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Kenny runs an archery/bow building supply business when he's not ramrodding the construction of local bridges.
His work is top notch and wanted to brainstorm with him on a lamination grinding sled I'd been thinking about for a while.

Together we worked out the details and when done I had exactly the tool I'd wanted... I hadn't been positive it was even possible initially.

I settled into the cabin we had rented that evening and had a bite to eat. It's got all the amenities and I hate to call it a cabin. Hell!! I could live there.
It is certainly more than worth the small extra fee added to the cost of the lease.

With an early start planned, I was in bed early.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
How cool is this?  First books is still at the printer's and you're already starting on the sequel!
Keep it coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm a pretty light sleeper so when I startled awake in the predawn hours I knew there had been a noise in the front of the cabin.
It was possible that I'd dreamed it since the sound came to me in my sleep so I laid there listening. If I heard anything more I'd pick up the Glock that was laying on the night stand next to the bed and investigate.

It's a good thing I hadn't gone back to sleep or what happened next might have ended differently. Suddenly there was a hard knock on the window next to the bed.
I could just see the eyes and top of a head. It was Terry Green. According to Kenny, Terry wasn't supposed to arrive until noon. With the excitement of the coming hunt and a few Monster drinks he'd driven through the night.

Terry would pay for his enthusiasm most of that day. At first wired from the energy drinks and hours on the road he'd eventually succumb to the fatigue and yucky feeling of his indiscretion.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Hey Joe? Shouldn't you be out hunting or something?
   ;)

I'll be back with more after church. I need to show my appreciation to the One who makes this all possible.
   :)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
When I can't get out hunting, I just love these stories as it puts you in the woods too...even though it is daydreaming! lol.. You guys do a great job! Thanks.

Kenny    :campfire:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
When Charlie tells it, it is "almost" as good as bein there!! Can't wait!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
You Missouri boys got some "BIG DEER"

:bigsmyl:  

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :coffee:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
:coffee:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
:jumper:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Terry and decided we'd avoid any heavy scouting at first and go with the information Kenny had given us. That plan had a couple of things going for it.

First of all the timber patches are small compared to other areas of the state with lots of agriculture. It would be easy to blow the deer out by over pressuring them.

The other thing, and most important in my book, is that this is Kenny's home turf and he knows it well. What's that old saying about not guiding the guide?

As on most hunts the first day was one getting our legs under us and taking care of incidentals. We'd have to stock the larder with food to avoid eating fast food all week... there was a small restaurant
in Linneus and we hit that for breakfast that first morning as we had in years past. Other than that we'd have had to travel to Brookfield each day for the fast food variety of the bigger town.
Once in a while is OK, but daily is a drag.

We'd gone to our stands that first day with just verbal directions to guide us. We'd hunted here two years in a row now so we had a good sense of where Kenny was sending us as he pointed out the locations on the maps.

I chose a ladder stand which covered a travel corridor between a neighboring tree farm and the acorn bearing oaks on our farm.

Tracks pocked the ground along the trail from the  property fence to the soy bean field and up and down along the hedge row that formed that same boundary.
An equipment road passed in front of the stand and through a gap in the brush to another bean field to my right and the east.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Across the field from me where two brushy ditches converged Kenny had made an opening in the brush with his 4 wheeler.
He'd had a mineral lick in there with a camera posted on it until Chronic Wasting had been discovered in the county and the Department of Conservation forbade the use of attractants... and removed the existing 4 point or better rule for bucks.

Even without the mineral the deer were fond of using the gap in the weeds. Why not? It was a natural, sitting in an inside corner as it did.

That first day I watched a small 8 point buck move cautiously out of the cover there. He moved slowly but purposely across the field toward me. I never took my bow off the hook.
Legal or not I intended to wait for something larger... much larger. The farm was good for that. I knew that for a fact.

(Continued)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Glad everyone got home safe, and best of luck for your daughter Terry...

Waiting patiently for the stories to continually unfold...  Loving it!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
Cool stuff .  :campfire:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
1st runner up!!!   That makes it a great weekend-week-weekend....

Yeah, like Charlie said...we would go on what Kenny had told us AND use the two previous years experiences to hunt 'lite' to start with.  This year we were determined to stick with the plan and use what we knew along with Kenny's observances for this year.

I've gotta get something out before I start the posting about the hunt.....

Pay attention to my next post!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
O.K. I'm pouring a 3rd cup of coffee and someone brought cupcakes to work..... let's go!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
First off....

I have NO IDEA why these hunts don't FILL UP every year with people FIGHTING over it.

This is a CHEAP hunt that aint CHEAP on hunting, or lodging.

If you divide this hunt up by getting 4 folks together its a FREAKING STEAL PEOPLE!!!

What do you get?  Beautiful hunting grounds with a VERY healthy population of deer including a good chance at a nice buck or even a lifetime buck,  free up to date deer moment input from Kenny, and a FULLY FURNISHED cabin to stay in that costs each hunter $75 for the WEEK!!!  HELLO!!!

Why am I saying this?  Cause Kenny had ZERO hunters on the two hunts offered before Charlie and I arrived.

Heck, I'm thinking about going twice next year.  Specially since I'll already have my license.

YOU GUYS ARE MISSING OUT ON A GREAT HUNT, ON BEAUTIFUL LAND, A GRACIOUS HOST, AND GREAT MEMORIES AFIELD AND AMONG FRIENDS.......W-A-K-E . U-P!!!!

There....now I can go ahead and try and start ....bare with me....I also have a real business to tend to....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©