3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 kennym lease hunts 6 DOWN
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
I never seem to expect deer movement right at first light and I was firmly wrapped up in the minutia of settling into my stand when a movement out in the beans caught my eye.

At first I thought it was a coyote. But it wasn't moving along like a coyote would. As the darkness was slowly being replaced by light and the gray sky turned a pale blue I could clearly make out the forms of three deer feeding in the beans.

They fed along slowly down the hill roughly from my left. Unless they turned around and went back they'd have to commit to a direction at some point. There current line of travel would take them into the brush at my right front and that didn't seem likely.

It was a doe and two youngsters and any of them would do just fine. I had taken the longbow down from it's hook and waited.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
It had gotten completely light out and I watched as one of the trio split off and fed away from me toward the gap in the weeds a hundred yards distant.

If the other two followed I'd be out of the game before it even started.

But the other two continued to feed down the hill. If anything they were getting closer and I fingered the leather grip on my bow in anticipation.

Finally they fed into range. The trophy doe (damn they get big in that part of the state) was now at around 20 yards and I waited for an angle on her.
As she slowly turned her body to the left her rib cage opened up and the KME honed Magnus I w/bleeder slid back toward the bow, riding on a camo, 2216, aluminum shaft.

The middle finger of my leather shooting glove buried at anchor point, back muscles stretching to full extension and the arrow was away in a heart beat.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
Charlie got to "Full Extension" this AM.  I bet I know what happens next...

Thats right...dead doe.    :D    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
 I don't remember exactly what other gourmet ingredients were involved, but I'm pretty sure one of them was Spam.
    :D  
Charlie...call me crazy, but I luv spam!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
Mmmmmm fried SPAM!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
SPAM eggs spam & spam...
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom Leemans:
Mmmmmm fried SPAM!
No...  Frying would be Too Modern....had to stay Trad.  Ate it right out of the can...only sliced.     ;)  

BACK UP.....

The 1st afternoon I was following Charlie as I didn't know how far into the field he wanted to go before he parked...as his break lights came on I begin to slow, and out of a big blow down on the adjacent property line bounds a really nice * or 10 pointer onto our property crossed in front of Charlie's truck....bolted across 100 yards of beans into the woods on our property.

I eased up to Charlie, and heavily whispered in his ear...."This must be the place"....he returned a big old grin and a nod....and "Definite good sign".
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline koops4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Looking forward to the rest of the story and hopefully more pictures.
Paul

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Oh...not only was is just Spam....but we had Chile also.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
The next morning was nice and cool, I actually had on a wool pull over.  Too bad this was the last day for an outer layer as the temps would rise buy some 30 degrees for the rest of the hunt....

Anyway, I went back to the same stand and listen to the woods wake up and it wasn't long before the deer showed up....

Again, deer started milling through the gap and northward into that little hidden bay of beans with the wooded cover on bow sides just north of me.  Again, no available shots through the brush...

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
You guys are killing me!!!!!!!!!!  I'm snowed in, can't work due to roads being closed, can't hunt, too much wind.  GIMME, GIMME, GIMME, I NEEEEEEDDDDD, I NEEEEEEDDDDD, I NEEEEEEDDDDD.  :pray:  

Kenny, you are going to have a pm coming about the info for one of these hunts.

God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Then around 8:30 I heard what I thought was a buck grunting.  Then I heard it again and got confirmation.  I immediately turned my shoulder to the audible direction and moments later here comes a doe talking steadily along headed north and then she starts a turn to the east like she's coming into my woodlot.

There are two open entrances on that side and I was hoping she's come in the one directly across from me instead of the one 10 yards further south....but she chose the south one.  By the time I figured out where she would enter I hear more grunting from the direction she had come and sure enough a dandy 8 comes trotting along toting a heavily massed bone colored rack right on her trail....

She enters the woods and continues south east away from me and I let her pass through my lanes as I await a chance at the buck.....he enters the same exact spot on the same trail, he just needs to stop, unlike the does who moved quickly toward the west side of the wood lot after carefully easing through bow range....  

The buck is a bit more cautious and stops in an opening allowing for me to reach 3/4 draw before he makes a move behind some brush at what I would consider the extent of shot range.  He stands there for what seems like eternity as he just watches his 'gal at the moment'.

Yellow was the 'almost' shot....red was the eternity I watched him with obstructions before they both moved south out of my site.

At this point I was really pleased with the events of the 1st complete day of hunting.  One evening and one morning and I'd seen some 18 or 19 deer....and almose filled my buck tag the 1st morning on a Missouri Mounter.

Hmmmmmmmm....better take my phone off airplane mode and see if Charlie had texted me.....

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Great story so far...

FWIW with Missouri being the "Show Me" state, I would be avoiding anything called a "Missouri Mounter".  Maybe that is just me :-)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Img....u lost me...do u need a pic of a mounter?....or am i way lost?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
With a white cap dip and white fletch it was easy to follow the spinning arrow as it hit the doe just clipping hair off the top of her shoulder. How's that Randy?

She and her little companion were away in a flash running hard back in the direction they'd come. I watched as they passed out of sight near a big oak along the edge of the field.

The other youngster hit the gap across the field on a run and disappeared. I was more than a little disappointed.
I didn't know what else might show up, but at that moment I was feeling deserted and impotent.

In a few moments I spotted the young deer across the field coming out into the open. I was in the game again.
Watching in the direction of the other deer's departure he walked slowly across toward me. She stopped a moment at my arrow sticking there in the beans and scent checked it thoroughly.

I fidgeted a little trying to get back in a shooting position and the little deer went on alert. It became quite suspicious of me sitting there on the side of that tree. I had some good background cover, but little else.

Slowly she moved directly toward me. Before I knew it she was entering the little path where Terry had dropped me off.
I'd sprayed my rubber boots with no scent spray that morning and there was no brush to hold my scent.

Soon she was standing below me, neck stretched out sniffing the ladder of my stand. I squinted hard and pulled back into my neck gator like a turtle to avoid the stare. You know the one. It's where the animal sees the whites of your eyes and instantly becomes a vapor trail disappearing over the horizon.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
Deserted?  Impotent?

Gee, Charlie, I had to get out my Funk & Wagnalls!

I just can't quite imagine or get the visual of you going "turtle"... but so far, good job avoiding the eyeball induced vapor trail  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I'll never know why I didn't get busted. Chalk it up the the youthful ignorance of my quarry.

Finally she backed away from the stand and turning directly away walked slowly to the field edge where  she made a left turn.

I was going to shoot whether she stopped or not, but like following a script she stopped in the last gap in the tree limbs before her vitals would have been covered.

Drawing on my earlier performance I focused everything I had on the crease behind her shoulder and sent a Simmons Interceptor w/bleeder to it's mark.

She had been standing at a slight angle as I released and the razorsharp head impacted the off shoulder and stopped, leaving a lot of shaft showing on the entry side.

Running flat out the doe headed back across the field toward the brushy gap. She did a good job of it until at the very end she missed the gap by a couple of yards and went down in the horse weeds. I could see my arrow sticking almost straight up and not moving.
There was no doubt. It was over.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
The morning went by more slowly from that point on. It wasn't without it's moments, though. I saw several more deer including a small buck that came through the brushy gap. He was a little upset by my deer laying there, but came out and move on up the field anyway.

Terry showed up and we went straight to the truck. I pulled down to the deer and we through it in the bed and got the heck out of there. We'd field dress it somewhere other than the field.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Once we were clear of the hunting area we could worry about hero pictures and cleaning chores.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Good shot Charlie,,,,, that's some tender vittttles there     :clapper:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©