3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I got a text from Whip.....  (Read 1718 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I got a text from Whip.....
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Congrats Whip !!!

And yes, I too sometimes hate Photobucket !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
Dang Whip, quit stalling, on with the story.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Must be his nap time already.....   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I give up.  Photobucket has beaten me....
Don't give up the ship Joe!!! On with the story.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I wish I could, but it's really hard to tell much of a story without being able to post pictures.  I'd rather wait until I can figure this out.  Problem is that I don't have time to mess with it anymore than I already have.

I've posted literally hundreds of pictures here, and am pretty comfortable that I know how to do it.  I've resized my photos on my computer three different times.  Uploaded them to photobucket, deleted and reuploaded three different times.  Verified over and over that my images are sized to 600 x 450 pixels.  I have no idea what else to try.

If a moderator or someone I trust would like my password to photobucket you are more than welcome to tell me what I am doing wrong.  

I'm headed back out to continue cutting meat...
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
I had this same argument with PB a couple weeks ago, gave up and they magicly changed to what I wanted all along.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »
Cut away Whip we'll be here when you get back!!! I hate photobucket too..has done that to me twice during threads.   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »
As I mentioned before early success opens up other opportunities. After filling my buck tag on my first outing of the year a few people asked what I would do now and I replied that that was not a problem as I have many unfinished projects on my hunting land and who knows, maybe someone could use a camp bitch. Well Joe Lasch responded right back and said he could in fact use a camp bitch. So we set up a weekend to hunt his property. I put careful consideration into putting together the perfect menu for a Wisconsin deer camp (cleaned out some crap from my freezer to make room for more venison) and was on my way to be Joe's guest and do a bit more bowhunting. As it turned out I was regarded as some sort of good luck charm and anything I fed him would be tolerated as long as I was close by.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest  of the story!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I arrived at Joe's cabin mid afternoon and was enthusiasticly greated by Arlo, Joe's new dog. Joe has been training him to track deer and so far had been on three blood trails. While Joe was putting my gear in the cabin Arlo confided in me that he was glad to see me as he had heard of the endless trail of dead critters I was leaving. He also repeated over and over that he didn't think Joe would ever get a deer for him to track. Well, anyway that is how I interpreted his body language.
Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Greg Szalewski:
I arrived at Joe's cabin mid afternoon and was enthusiasticly greated by Arlo, Joe's new dog. Joe has been training him to track deer and so far had been on three blood trails. While Joe was putting my gear in the cabin Arlo confided in me that he was glad to see me as he had heard of the endless trail of dead critters I was leaving. He also repeated over and over that he didn't think Joe would ever get a deer for him to track. Well, anyway that is how I interpreted his body language.
That is "LOL" Funny
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Joe,

Don't get yourself frustrated.  Take care of your meat and play this virtual game later.  I'm constantly noticing that it takes time for Photobucket databases to catch up with resizing of images.  Once you have them resized and you've confirmed that just let it go.  They will catch up eventually and I've yet to have one pulled by mods prior to PB catching up with the resizing of pixels.

Congratulations in advance and look forward to story and pics.  Greg - That was indeed a halarious picture you painted there...

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
I'm taking a quick break for lunch.  Sent a couple of PM's with pictures attached and they seemed to work fine, so I'll give it another try.  I also need to set the record straight with Greg - obviously he doesn't know how to understand Boykin Spaniel talk.  :rolleyes:

Greg has in fact piled up a stack of critters this year.  I had a plan by inviting him up.  Yes, he is a great camp cook, so that was part of it.  But the real reason was that when he wasn't watching I snuck into his daypack and stole a piece of his luck.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I figured that after the does left that would probably be it for the evening, and as darkness came crept into the woods around me it sure seemed like I was right.  

I knew it was just about over for the night.  I was just about to get my phone out to check the time when I heard a stick break.  Then another one.  Something heavy was close.  Through the shadows I could make out a large bodied deer headed my way.  Buck!  And a good one!

I was already standing, and facing the right direction, so all I had to do was lift my bow from the holder and wait for him to step into a shooting lane.  He moved slowly, but steadily, and before I knew it an arrow was off.

My initial reaction was "Oh No!" How could I blow that shot?!?  The hit seemed too far forward, and penetration was not good.  The buck crashed off down the hillside, and I listened to his direction of travel.  It sounded like he stopped, then a little more rustling, more silence, then some more noise.  

Had he just stopped to try to figure out what had happened, and then continued on?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
Not being sure of the hit, I tend to err on the side of caution.  I chose to wait until morning to follow it up.

As Greg mentioned, I have a new family member this year, and spent the summer training him to blood trail.  He had been on a few tracks already this fall, and had done a great job.  But I still don't have complete faith, and like to be able to confirm his trailing with finding actual blood on the ground as we go.  I figured that daylight would give us the best chance of being able to do that.

After a restless night, eventually it was time to go.  The sun was up and lighting was good.  We started searching where I thought the deer had run, but Arlo insisted that something further up the hill smelled interesting.  He was right on the money, and we had first blood.

Continuing on down the steep hillside blood sign was fairly sparse, with mostly small droplets scattered along the direction of travel.  As we reached the bottom the sign picked up, and Arlo was moving right along.  There were a couple of spots where I didn't see blood where he wanted to go, and pulled him back to where I thought we should be headed.  I was wrong.  Arlo was right, and it wasn't long before Greg had it sorted out.  

The deer made a couple of changes in direction and headed toward a thick area that had been clearcut 6 or 7 years ago.  As we entered the thicker stuff this is what we found.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
There!  Now that picture looks better!  Photobucket must be some sort of magic.  I didn't do a thing differently.

The hit had indeed been way too far foward, but sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.  It's a darn good thing that I had stolen that luck from Greg, because I needed every ounce of it.  I wished that I had the confidence to track the same night, but I sure was happy with the way it turned out.

We put the deer on the scale after the tenderloins had already been removed.  Adding a few pounds for them I'm calling it 205# dressed.  

That's a lot of meat to cut, and I'm still at it!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Very nice deer Whip.  Congrats to you and your Boykin.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
Congrats Whip ....    :clapper:  yes sometimes it's better to be lucky than good .... seems I've heard that some where before !

I just got my pound cake from lil D, sorry I'm not there to share it with you guys. Keep that luck going !!
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
That thing is Huge, good dog trailing
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Congrats Whip!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©