3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm Hooked!  (Read 154 times)

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm Hooked!
« on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
I've been bowhunting only since I was 10 years old. I'm 35 now. I have always hunted with a compound other than a couple of half-hearted hunts with a recurve 15 years ago.

After getting the traditional itch, my wife bought me a 66" Bamabow Hunter longbow this past father's day. I finally got to take it in the woods this past Saturday morning.

This was also my first time trying to hunt off the ground, so it was a new world for me. I sneaked in before daylight and sat down in some switch cane where I was well hidden. As it began to get light, I thought maybe I should move over about 20 yards. But, I liked my hiding spot, and stayed put. You've all heard this story right? Of course, 30 minutes later a spike walked right by where I almost moved to. He ended up turning and going away from me. But, it was a great experience. I liked being on the ground where I had the ability to move around to get a better shot (even if I didn't get one). Very exciting. I just misjudged where the deer would be by about 20 yards. Unfortunately, I was only able to hunt half a day the first weekend. Maybe next week.

When I saw that deer coming, I thought, Holy crap, I'm going to get one on my first hunt! Haha, oh well.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Hooked!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I'm with you, it doesn't get more exciting than close encounters on the ground.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Wonderful isn't it?   Not to mention you has a wonderful wife,
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Had a cow elk at 9 yards.  My heart is still racing....
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Just grunted in about a 150" 10pt to about 45 yds in front of me and my sons stand... He hung up and then finally walked off.... I think I was more excited than my son:)  Saw a 13 pt. in the 160s, a 125" 9 point, a spike, and a couple other bucks far off tonight!  What an incredible sport.... love it!  Welcome back to trad Eminart!

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Great stuff aint it! Being at ground level in a close encounter, is as exiting as it gets!
After reading your post, YEP YOUR HOOKED!
Good luck my friend! enjoy your time afield.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
Good luck on your next try!

Bisch

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
On the ground or in a tree it is still heart pounding.  Whenever that feeling is no longer there, then I will give it all up.  However at 59, it is still as strong as ever.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©