3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toelk lynx and whip who has shot both and what are your thoughts?  (Read 348 times)

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
I was wondering for those of you with experience shooting these bows what your thoughts are about them?If you like one more than the other and why.I have mainly shot recurves but having heard really nice things about Dans bows has peeked my curiosity.Thanks.

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toelk lynx and whip who has shot both and what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Forgot to mention Im leaving for church then off to work but looking foward to tommorow and your responses.Thanks again!

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I have both and they are both beautiful works of craftsmanship, quiet and will zip an arrow to its mark.  So with that said, which one do I prefer?  I like my Lynx.  It is equally as quiet as the whip and just works with me better.  Again, it is just a personal choice since Dan makes awesome bows and I am sure you would be apply with either.  Or, you can do what I did...buy both.

Offline elksticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
I've always been more of a longbow fan but my new Lynx is having me doubt my faith.  Give Dan a call he is a class act and has forgotten more than most know.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:00 PM »
By the way, I am not a minority here in owning more than one Toelke bow.  Most who have a Toelke, have multiples also.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
They are different animals.  The Lynx has considerable mass compared to the Whip. Both exceptional creations by one of the best.  Lynx gives you the option of LB or RC with same riser.  Loved my Lynx and to date my most regrettable trade.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I have owned a number of Whips, Standards and the Classics that I have ended up shooting. When Dan first started producing the Lynx, he sent me a combo to shoot for a couple of months. As Keith has pointed out, the Lynx has a bit more physical weight but I found that it shot very much like the Whip. I prefer the sleek lines of the Whip over the 3 pc. Lynx if you are only comparing longbows but the recurve that the second set of limbs made the bow into was without a doubt the finest one I have ever shot and I have shot a few.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I second what everyone else is saying. Hard to beat the Whip, but if you like mass in a riser and don't mind a 3 piece, the Lynx is the way to go. I had recurve limbs on my Lynx and it zipped an arrow. I believe Dan says that the recurve limbs will shoot equivalent to longbow limbs 3 or 4 pounds heavier.

You oughta give him a call. He's very helpful.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Here is a pic you might appreciate in your quest for what Toelke is right for you.  A Lynx setup in LB beside a 2pc Whip.

I think this pic shows a touch more reflex in the tip of the Whip.  Others more versed on limb properties would have to transfer that into something intelligent!  But there you have it...

X2 what Jim says on the recurve limbs also.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Online Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
I am shooting a 58" lynx recurve and it is the smoothest easiest bow I've shot to date and I've had quite a few. I'm loving everything about this bow! No complaints here.
Daniel

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.The lynx is really making an impression on me.I like the thought of a little more weight in the riser.For those of you who have both longbow and recurve limbs are the recurve limbs noticebly louder?That was one of the reasons I was looking into a longbow since I mainly shoot 3-under.I will be giving Dan a call before to long I just hate to buy anything before heading to Kalamazoo in Jan.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
All I can say "is you would not believe how quiet the Lynx is" and that is with the recurve limbs.  It is as I said earlier as quiet as my Whip and that is saying a bunch.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:00 AM »
You will never see 4 silencers on a Toelke bow.  I have been to his place a couple of times and shot many bows in addition to those he has made for me. Quiet and I mean QUIET is the only kind of bow that Dan builds regardless of the model.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
I agree with the above comments; however, I find that the biggest difference between the two is the grip.  The throat on the lynx is very small and the heal is a little higher, more like a recurve grip, but not as high in the heal.  Personally I like the grip on the lynx over the grip on the whip.  I have sold off my whips, but have kept my lynx.  For me anyway, the grip on the lynx is the better of the two.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:00 AM »
I agree with the above.  I really like how the lynx has just a touch of palm swell where as whips are usually flat.  I was a little underwhelmed with the 58" recurve kind but I hear the 60" are incredible.  Ran a couple of different 64" longbows and really liked them.  Been casually looking for another.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Just get both! Dan builds some of the greatest bows out there. He consistently takes any wood combination and makes it into a deadly piece of art. I don't know of any bowyers who are better than Toelke, though there are several others on par with him.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline 4BTradArchery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
I have the lynx with recurve and longbow limbs.  I had shot several Whips before, but wanted recurve limbs for when I hunt out of my pop up blind.  The recurve limbs are just as quiet as the longbow limbs.  I also just like the grip and feel of a recruve style riser.  The riser has more mass due to the phenolic in it and I feel that it helps me in my shooting.

Call Dan and talk with him.  He is a wealth of knowledge and will lead you in the right direction.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity - Darryl Royal

Dance with the one that brung ya - Darryl Royal

Offline lunchbucket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
Wow the lynx is sounding better with every post.Thanks for all the feedback.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
For me, the lynx recurve limbs were noticeably louder than my Whip longbows.  Not loud by any means, but there was a discernable difference for me.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I have shot both and own the Lynx.   I love the lynx.  I love shooting the same riser with several different limbs.  

However, you can't go wrong with either.  Quiet is an understatement.  Especially considering all the widows I have owned and shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©