3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grilled Squirrel? OH YEAH!  (Read 330 times)

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
Grilled Squirrel? OH YEAH!
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I have to say it has been quite a few years since I ate a tree rat!  Sunday morning I was conducted a gentle push through the timber trying to send some deer to my son when an unsuspecting, fat squirrel jumped up the tree in front of me.  My mind switch into squirrel for lunch mode and after a couple arrows, a climb up a tree, and retrieving an arrow from the adjacent river's sandbar....    :bigsmyl:
I fired up the grill with the unseasonably warm temps and cooked my quarry after soaking it in Worcestershire sauce for about 20 minutes and dusting it with jalapeno spice and garlic salt.  All I can say is WOW!!  I have never had squirrel on the grill before and must say it is incredibly tasty.  Me and my son polished it off and licked them bones clean.  Time to get some blunts and get serious about killin' some more tree rats!  If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it, very tasty!!    :thumbsup:

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grilled Squirrel? OH YEAH!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:  And now I'm hungry....Lol!
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm newly inspired.  Thanks.

Tom

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
I could of used you here in Mass the other day I had them suckas all around me, huge ones too!

I just can't drop the string on a squirrel when i got up at 3:30am and have been sitting for 5hrs waiting on brown fur,,,, as much as the things drive me crazy..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
I was reluctant to kill treerats because I didn't like them on the table much until I killed one, shoved a stick thru him, and stuck him over a fire. WOW, couldn't believe how good it was. I only threw some salt on it.Gonna have to grill one now.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I've always wanted to try it, but hope an experience squirrel cooker could do it for me.
Next time I swing through Iowa, if I bring a few squirrels Don?  Would ya couldya?

Jake drop anything with that MadDog yet?
David M. Conroy

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Give this one a try sometime  

Put some tinfoil on the grill and turn up the edges.  Place your squirrels on the foil and cover with bacon.  Cook until the bacon is done.  The bacon helps keep the squirrel from drying out and also bastes it in bacon juice.

Mmmmmm Bacon!   :thumbsup:

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I don't think I've had squirrel since I was 5 years old!  May have to try it again when I get out in the woods next week.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
I love squirrell. I'm glad others are starting to see the table value of these underrated creatures.  Plus the hides/hair is very very useful
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
For those thinking about it... you WON'T be disappointed.  Greg I am a firm believer bacon makes almost everything better!!  

Dave- Jake is having a rough, but awesome year so far!  2nd morning out a ten pointer caught him by surprise and really rattled him.  Rushed shot and trembling like a leaf he hit him in neck.  Followed pin drop blood for quarter mile before it shut off. Day three sticks a doe.  L & R was perfect but high.  Same result as buck.  He isn't feeling very confident.  We watched a 13pt grunting an chasing last night and about five other bucks sparring and scraping so he is pretty excited again.  BTW- bring those squirrels and it would be my pleasure to grill some up for you!!!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Sounds like he's having some incredible experiences. I still can't drive, otherwise my oldest would be out there. I'm hoping he'll whack a squirrel for us to try. Don't know if my wife has it in her to cook one up. She even struggles with chicken that isn't boneless, heh.
So its up to Tom and myself.
Bacon, hmmmmmmm. Yeah, I like the sound of that.
David M. Conroy

Offline Ferris Bugler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Awesome. Nice shooting, at least with one of your shots.

A buddy of mine and I were hunting elk once and decided to stay in the woods for an extra night and needed some food.  We spent the middle of the day chasing grouse and squirrel.  Once we had dinner we cooked them up and fought over who got to eat the squirrel it was so good.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Longbow917:
  Greg I am a firm believer bacon makes almost everything better!!  

Wrong!!!  No "almost" involved.  It makes everything better!!!
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
We live in one of the more "affluent" cities in Alabama where there are a lot of engineers for the space and defense programs, and just a lot of rather "citified" people. My wife is a yoga instructor and most of her clients come from these kinds of families. Sometimes they'll ask my daughter what she likes to eat. You should see the look on their faces when she says, "squirrel!"  Hahaha. I don't hunt squirrels much, but I took her last year and we cooked some and she loved them. They were better than I remembered as well.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
They are crazy thick around camp and at my spots this year, sounds like a walk with some old arrows is in order...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
And they are a lot of fun tryin to shoot.... wear  your climbing shoes!!  :banghead:

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm an avid griller and would like to know how you grilled up your squirrels-Did you quarter them or halfed them? Direct heat or indirect heat? I'm excited about trying this.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Only head shots count!  :D

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Denny- I have one of those new infrared grills and set it on medium heat.  We didn't have a lot of time so I cooked it faster than I would have preferred!  I would say low direct heat and I quartered it.  Front legs were a little well done.... maybe put them on half way through back and rear legs!  Your going to love these things!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks Don-I'm gonna give that a try. Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©