3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grilled Squirrel? OH YEAH!  (Read 329 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grilled Squirrel? OH YEAH!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Now youve went and done it! I was going deer hunting Sat. morning but now im thinking squirrels instead!
Squirrels pan fried ( and not just any old fry pan, its gotta be cast iron ) with gravy from the drippins, with mashed taters and biscuits, it dont get no better than that.
I love deer hunting, but the fun and challenge of chasing squirrels is second to none.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
That sounds way tasty Moleman! You post a photo of that plate and everybody will be huntin' tree rat!!  I tried for some today but it was like they knew I was after them!!

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I used to belong to a deer camp that had only a few bow hunters. So we had the whole place to ourselves up until muzzleloader season. 4 of us would camp next to a pin oak bottom where squirrels were abundant. A couple of us would set up camp and then step over among the pin oaks and tag a few squirrels. We killed 9 between the 2 of us one time. Had squirrel quarters smothered in oinions and peppers 2 days on a row.
Saute onion and peppers in bacon grease salt pepper to taste.
Add liberal dash of worchestershire sauce and squirrel quarters to skillet and cover over low heat and let simmer until tender.
Heat up a can of peas and side of loaf bread for sopping, and your good to go.
Member NCBA

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
That just aint right Duncan!, your killin me!

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by moleman:
That just aint right Duncan!, your killin me!
An old squirrel hunting friend maintains that it should be a crime to prepare squirrel any other way but fried as you have described. While I love it that way I sometimes go astray and brown them in bacon grease sometimes with a splash of white wine and some salt and pepper and sprinkle of dry rosemary.
Man, squirrel season is in here in ole NC and I got Friday off, so I guess you know!
Member NCBA

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »
Broiled and basted with Sherry.

Soaked in red wine and battered and oven or deep fried.

simmered in water and then pulled out to cool... add chopped taters, pot pie noodles, celery and carrots till vegs are soft...add back the squirrel meat pulled off bones and simmer for 20 min served with hot buttered bisquits.

I just hate skinning the danged things...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©