3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new member here...help please?  (Read 514 times)

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
new member here...help please?
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Hello all.  I am a newbie to traditional archery.  I don't even own any traditional archery items at this time.  I have however, read many of the posts on here.  From eye dominance to which bow for a beginner to poundage. I will willing admit my ignorance to the traditional side of things.  I will also admit that I am ready to move to the traditional side of things, recurves in particular.  Yes, I am another one of those guys that shoot compounds, so thats where most of my knowledge lies.  

A little about me.  I shoot a 29" draw at aprox 67#. My wheelie offers 80% let off.  So I am roughly holding 15# at full draw. I have come to realize that I should start with a 45#-50# recurve. I shoot RH, although my dominant eye is left.  I am pretty sure I want to shoot recurves LH.

I have noticed alot of hype with the samick sage bow being reccomended to beginners, however, I have also noticed just about as much hype reguarding buying used from the classifieds.  I have checked and haven't really noticed anything in the classifieds...have I just missed it?

I also agree with everyone who says start inexpensive because you'll buy another one.  So yes I am looking for inexpensive now with the intent of later purchasing big/custom.

Can I get any advice from some of you veterans of the sport?  Thanks

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new member here...help please?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Welcome !

Why not look for a good used Bear bow ? That is what we did when we started and we still have a few of them. Bear bows are a great value and proven quality over decades. If you look for a used Grizzly, "The original working man's bow", bet you could find one less than $100. Heck, some find them at yard sales for $20 or less !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Howdy Capnrock!  And welcome!!!  The samich sage is a great beginner bow at a great price.

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
I have considered Bear, even the Grizzly model, there is just not anywhere around here to get one, or find one that I am looking for. I just hate going to an "archery store" only to get looked at like I am crazy because they only sell wheelies.  

LH seems harder to come by...

Thanks for the welcomes!!

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I forgot mention, the differences in a TD and a one piece I have noticed on the board is
1.  Travel purposes
2.  Upgrading limb poundage

So from a beginner stand point I think I am leaning towards a one piece as I dont see me traveling via airplane anytime soon.  I also think that "this" first bow will be used mostly for practicing and some hunting locally.  Am I wrong to assume the differences?

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Welcome ! With the desires you have listed in a bow your wanting ,just remember to take some time and keep asking . This is the sight to gain all the information and equipment you will need. Check for someone in your local area. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Thanks Maxx, thats my intent as well.  After reading many posts on this sight I figured this was the place!

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
Welcome    :campfire:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
Welcome aboard!  The other difference in a takedown is that most of them are a little heavier (mass weight).  Some people prefer that extra mass in their hand.  Of course, some single piece recurves made with some of the heavier woods or resign impregnated wood laminate (like diamonwood) will also give you more mass weight.  You are making a smart move going with a lighter draw.  Starting out heavy will just frustrate you and you will likely learn bad habits as you compensate struggling with the draw weight.  A last note - I think a lot of folks here would agree that the grip of the bow is often the most discriminating feature for them.  It certainly is for me.  It has to fit right.  Try to get your hands on a number of different bows with different style grips to see which suits you best.  As a start - try at least one each of a low, medium and high wrist grip.  Once you sort that out, the variations of a particular grip are mostly feel (narrow or bulky or whatever).

I'll also endorse buying used from the classifieds here.  I haven't had a bad deal yet on this site.  The good thing is that you can generally recoup your money by reselling a bow if it doesn't work for you.

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Thank you Stinger, and 4dogs.  I would rather buy used and get a better quality I think.  However if I cant find it used....
There is just not many choices around me that I am aware of that I can tryout the grips.  But what you say makes perfect sense to me.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Welcome!  :thumbsup:

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Welcome from Oklahoma! I would go with a used bow from the classifieds. I think any bear bow would be a good inexpensive start in a 45-50 pound weight.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Cowboys fan...nice(was happy to see Sutton get that program turned around years ago) I agree with your statement, just cant seem to find a lefty that fits my needs

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Welcome, keep an eye on those bow classifieds, lots of great deals pop up all the time. Maybe put a "wanted" add up, I'll bet you get some great offers from people...   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
After re-reading Stingers post, is hand shock more apparent in recurves than wheelies?  I am used to shooting 5+lbs of total weight in my bow?
Is weight in a recurve that much difference?

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Welcome, check out Leftiesrus.com and contact my buddy Barry "Buckster" Buckley, see what they have, or how they can help you.  Good Luck
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Well I posted in the classifieds.  Does anyone fell like I am missing anything with what I personally feel is my best option at this time?

PS:  I called a "local" archery shop and was quoted $425 for a new Bear grizzly...did a quick box store check and its $339.  The shop couldnt even get a lefty.  Thats what I am up against here.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Looks like you're getting some hits over there, maybe add "help please" to this title for even more opinions/offers...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »
welcome  :wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes everyone. Lots of bows for sale in the ads, just not sure what I'm looking at or for, for that matter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©