3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety harness and rapel harness  (Read 363 times)

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety harness and rapel harness
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Ok i've had a Seat of the Pants harness for along time now and am finally fed up with it.  I've had times it's spooked deer when I draw cause it makes noise. it's very unpredictable of what sound it'll make but it's the harness material that makes the noise not my clothing or rope.  So...........

I want to go back to a harness with out shoulder straps.  Currently looking at two different ones and here they are.

A rapel harness.....  http://www.ahsrescue.com/popup.aspx?src=/images/Product/large/1758.jpg

and a simple belt......   http://www.treehopperllc.com/catalog/1-1/products/3-in-1-climbing-belt.html

Anyone have any experiance with either of the two I mentioned?

thank you,
Ed

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety harness and rapel harness
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I have one very similar to the one made by treehopper and I love it. It is not as bulky as a harness, snug it up close to the tree and you can lean into your shot if need be. I bought mine at 3Rivers. I think you would like it. Good Luck.
Tom

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
The rapel harness is going to put the rop in front of you.  Doesn't seem like it would work very well while shooting.  The belts are not very safe; they can do a lot of damage to you if you take a fall.  

Check out Hunter's Safety Systems harnesses at Cabelas.  The one I use is the base model and is plenty comfortable and quiet.

Offline pybucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I switched from a Muddy to rock climbing style harness this year and I'll never go back. Much more comfortable and light weight, you forget you have it on.  Yes the rope comes off the front but it's not issue, goes under my arm and back to the tree.

I have a Black Diamond Couloir:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Black-Diamond-Couloir-Harness_10093333_10208_10000001_-1_
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
What happens to your arm and arm pit when you fall pybucks......  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline pybucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:00 PM »
Another harness to check out is the 20feet up, same concept.

http://20feetup.com/Harnesses.html

I haven't fallen but if I do, I'll at least be facing the tree.
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"
Tall Tines 62" 52# @ 28"

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I always wear my harness under my last layer of clothing.  Even in hot weather, I will wear it under my bug jacket.  This prevents all noise in my experience.

Personally, I would avoid a simple waist belt.  Better than hitting the ground I guess but would not want to take a fall with one.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
If you fall wearing a belt around your waist. . .  you WILL get hurt.

Just saying.
ChuckC

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
Take a look at what linesmen or arborists use.  They use these full harnesses because they are safe.  A belt isn't much better than a noose and LOTS of people have been found dead hanging in them.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
I agree with ChuckC actually falling in the belt or back harness (prefered) you can get hurt,,,,, trust me try a test fall in the harness harness  and see how it feels dropping just 3',, your joints or spine connections can come apart and even though theres no ground impact you'll hang there in complete pain until the blood coagulates in your body from the restraints stopping the circulation,,,  yes you can die by just hanging in the harness itself,, so cut loose as soon as possible.

but seriously use any harness but make sure you have a decent anti-shock life line connected that can change the 3000lbs+  of force down to 1000lbs of force.
"Us vs Them"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:31:00 PM »
Warning the following picture I'd EXTREMEMY GRAPHIC but I think it serves very well to make us think about what we do.

http://www.mmma.org.za/SafetyFlash/2008/Loose%20fitting%20harness.pdf.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Well that link didn't work,  which might be just as well.  Tajue is right the anti shock idea is a very good one.  My cousin is a linesman and he jumped offf a 6' loading dock with all his gear on to see what it would be like.  The anti shock belay device did work but there was still a big shock when he hit the end, also he couldn't rescue himself and needed help getting down.  Imagine what it would be like hanging up in a tree.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Guys, if you hook the belt up close to the tree you are not going to fall six feet or 3 feet. I work construction and have saw a million videos on this, if you are moving around sure the harness and six foot bungee is the way to go. But sitting in my stand the waist belt is fine, like I said it is used to keep me from falling. Just enough slack to stand up and sit down. Alot of this stuff is marketing, why would you want to be in a treestand with a six foot lanyard hanging from you, my stand is no where near that big. JMHO....
Tom

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Here is the setup I am wearing this season. The belay is attached to the harness front with a carabiner. The rope is 25 feet long and I am able to safely let myself to the ground in the event of a fall.

Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I often use an old Blackhawk tactical harness with an extra wrap in the carabiner, very similar to Bill's setup.
I've even used a Swiss seat in a bind (harness made from rope). You wouldn't want to spend much time dangling in one, but hey, better than nothing.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:
Take a look at what linesmen or arborists use.  They use these full harnesses because they are safe.  A belt isn't much better than a noose and LOTS of people have been found dead hanging in them.
I am a powerlineman  :)   So I understand the fall issue. But if you hook yourself to the tree correctly you will not be falling very far. The tree strap should be higher up so you only have enough extra lenght to be able to sit down.

So thanks for the concern and also those that gave links for ones for me to check out.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
So here's another part of the equation.  Do you just attach the harness once you get onto your stand?  Most falls occur when folks are getting onto or off of the stand.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I use a Lone Wolf climber and am attached from the time I leave the ground and back down.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I've gone to a rock climbing/rapelling harness and won't go back. I figure if it's good enuf for some rock climber falling several feet it's good enuf for me. I also rig it so I can just sit down and no more. I will fall less than one foot. and the rope in front is not an issue.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »
Tom,  we made videos in hunter safety classes.  This video was viewed and remade by the treestand manufacturers group and adapted by the International Bowhunter educators.  Most of the treestand training you see in the NBEF and hunters safety is from our training,  nearly word for word.

There is a really good reason you hardly see any straps issued with treestands any more.  I have come out of treestands many times in the classes (that's why we made the video).  Been there, done it.  

We teach to adjust the tether strap so that there is no slack at all when you are sitting.  I rolled out of that stand, best case scenario, and half the time I couldn't "save myself", needing help.  I also couldn't breathe, nearly immediately.  

My partner did the same in a Seat of the Pants, which was about the only full harness available at the time.  He hung there, continued his presentation, and spun around and climbed back aboard the stand.

If you fall, and the strap is adjusted rght thats one thing. Actually, there is a good chance you won't come out of the stand.  If the stand breaks, you are likely to break ribs and hang upside down.

I am not gonna claim to be an expert at this,  but I "been there. .  done that", on film and off.   I will not wear a waist strap any more, period.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©