3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety harness and rapel harness  (Read 366 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety harness and rapel harness
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I use a Petzel GriGri 2 self belay devise on my Seat of the Pants harness.  Search Tippit's Tree Stand Safety System.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110494
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:
I use a Lone Wolf climber and am attached from the time I leave the ground and back down.
Bill,  I like your set-up. I use the same stand also. So The 25 foot rope and belay you use is all you use then. I mean your not putting any other tree strap around th e tree when you get to your desired hunting height, right?

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
That is correct Ed. The carabiner on the end of the rope goes around the tree and clips around the rope as shown. The belay is attached to the front of the harness with another carabiner. I should have taken a pic with it all together.

I must give Tippit (Jeff Springer)the credit for the idea using a belay. His system is very similar except he uses a harness with shoulder straps.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks Bill, I got it understood so no pics would be needed.  I am going to order the edelweiss harness like you have. Found it for $32 new on internet.

Tippet, thanks for the link.  As a lineman we practice rapel from our bucket trucks in case the truck dies and we cant get down and boy that belay device looks way easier than wrapping rope around a caribeaner like we are taught.

Another lineman perspective is that you guys who hunt with other friends it's not a bad idea to learn/understand how to lower a guy or gal from a tree incase they did fall and get hung up or worse they had a medical emergency and couldn't get them self down, whether they are conscious or not.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Interesting topic. Glad to hear German Dog went for the Edelweiss; they know their stuff.
Bill; your system heads in the right direction, but I would NOT wrap around the tree and clip the rope with a carabiner... I'd girth hitch a nylon webbing sling, or loop of climbing cord around the tree, and clip that to the rope. Otherwise, there is a potential risk of the 'biner breaking by loading stress on it's weakest orientation, or even coming unclipped. If you are using one 'biner as an attachment point, a "locking" 'biner is best.
Chuck, removing slack from the system is of paramount importance. Learned the hard way, first hand, smacking into rock. .
This can be very involved and technical;I'm offering a few key points from my several years of technical rock and ice climbing and experience (including licenced Adirondack climbing guide).
For what it's worth, I'd look at what the climber's guidelines are before a treestand company's info. The risks, and research, go way deeper. Learn your knots, and the dynamic force a fall places on your rig.
Just my .02 cents.
Be careful out there.

Joe

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the input Joe. I am open to all suggestions. I am using very heavy locking carabiners with the setup. The main reason I am not using a web strap is the big variation in tree diameters. I sometimes end up with too much strap and am not able to keep slack to a minimum.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Chuck,
I agree with everything you said, almost. Now I do not make films, but I have seen hundreds of them through safety orientations that I have attended, and like I said I work construction and was a fireman for 20 years. I am required to wear a full body harness on these jobs, and I have been there done that also, as far as falling goes. It is no fun in a harness either, no matter what anyone tells you. My statement was to allow just enough slack to sit down, some guys hook these things right behind them, no need to fall 4 or 6 feet if you don't have too, that equals several thousand pounds of pressure on ones body. The part I did not agree with was what you said about these new hunter harness not having a strap issued with them, the ones I have bought sure had one. We wore belts for years on jobs and they saved alot of lives, though the harness is better, for working. But it too has falts if you hang for an extended amount of time. I will keep my belt for hunting though, there is no way I can even step off my stand if I wanted too, not enough slack. If my stand breaks, all I have to do is step on my ladder. Nothing is full proof though. JMHO...I am not an expert either. Good hunting my friend, and I pray neither of us really ever needs these while hunting.
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©