3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Speed (no, not that again...)  (Read 291 times)

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Speed (no, not that again...)
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
I have yet again another question for all of you….
For a firearm, the faster the bullet leaves the barrel the less likely it is to be "knocked off course” by the movement of the shooter.  Take for example an airgun where follow-through is extremely important, versus a regular powder cartridge firearm where follow-though isn’t as big of a deal.  The difference is often explained as a difference in projectile speed:  The longer the projectile is in the barrel, the more likely a shooter is to make a movement that affects the flight path of the projectile.  Therefore, a faster projectile is more forgiving to poor follow-through on the part of a shooter.
Is the same true for archery?   Does a faster arrow make it easier on the archer, or is this a theory that’s valid on paper but has no real world affect for 99.9% of archers?

Thank you all again for your time!

Matt

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Speed (no, not that again...)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I am not sure that speed of the arrow leaving the shelf of a trad bow would vary that greatly.  I have heard of sticks being chrono'd at 215+ FPS, but honestly, I have not seen one break 200 fps with a hunting arrow.

My guess would be that an arrow is only on the string after release for maybe 0.02 seconds (from quick head figuring).  That may be way off, someone else may have a more accurate answer.  But if that is the case, the difference between 180fps and 200fps would be in the thousandths of a second.

I don't think it would matter nearly as much at bow length, arrow tune, arrow weight, or brace height.  Just practice for accuracy.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
A "faster" arrow won't make you a better shot... Try to learn from all of us and get out there and practice with a bow that you love!

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
Have you ever thought of how fast Howard Hill's longbows were not?

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Hrm,

Are you sure about your faster is more stable theorem?

In general, to be faster a projectile must be lighter.  Lighter = much easier to deflect, not only by shooter error but by environmental factors.  Also, the faster a projectile moves the more stabilization it requires.

I'm not a gun guy, but heavier = more stable would make a lot more sense to me.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Nathan,

You raised a good point... I think the numbers are too small to matter.

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Mr. Strubberg,

My thought was that for a given draw and arrow weight(say 50# and 450gr), one bow may have faster limbs than another, and my question was more along the lines of whether or not that would matter.  I can see now that it doesn't matter.

Now if I was a robot I might have to rethink things.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
The bottom line is that the more you flinch, the more the arrow will go off the desired course. Proper form and fluidity are essential, but I don't think a faster arrow will compensate for shooting errors.
Sam

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cryogenic:
For a firearm, the faster the bullet leaves the barrel the less likely it is to be "knocked off course” by the movement of the shooter
Yes.  That's probably true.  When you get your arrows over 2,000 fps you will have achieved the same effect.

We're talking a difference of 150 fps for a slow bow vs. 200 fps for a fast bow with a 600 grain arrow.  A slow rifle is 2,400 fps vs. a fast one of 3,200 fps.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
I'm going to disagree with those who say it won't matter. I use a 40# bow to work on form because errors like plucking the string (my most common), torquing the string (yup, I do that too), and dropping the bow arm, among others, are magnified. A heavier bow will mask some of these to a degree. Granted, a heavier bow won't make you a better archer, but a lighter one can help you become one.

Since I got the 40 and started practicing with it, my accuracy with my 50# hunting bow has improved along with my form.

I don't know that it is for the same reason as for a firearm. I'm also skeptical on the idea that faster is more accurate in firearms as well. Flinching with a gun happens before the actual shot in anticipation of the recoil. I don't think you can flinch faster than a speeding bullet...even a slower one.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I don't know the answer, but if "follow through" is so important, it seems that launch speed might be a factor.
Murray Seratt

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 02:40:00 AM »
From my limited knowlwdge, I would think the brace height would have more to do with it than the actual speed of the arrow. It seems to me it would actually be a more apples to apples comparison relating the bow string to the gun barrel. ie. the lower the brace height, the longer the arrow stays on the string, the more chance for you to affect the shot (or so the manufacturers of string stops for wheelie shooters would tell you). That being said, I can tell you everytime I don't follow through with my bow arm. Even if I don't initially realize I did it, the impact will tell me I did it.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »
A very fast traditional style bow usually has a somewhat shorter brace height... shorter brace heights are less forgiving to form errors... there's no getting around having to have good form.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 04:52:00 AM »
I would have a difficult time imagining the difference between draw weights would have any impact on arrow flight similar to what's referred to as "lock time" in a firearm trigger.  

I believe one might learn better form with a lighter bow and therefore have less impact on the arrow BEFORE it leaves the bow, especially if that person's form had ample room for improvement at their regular hunting weight.  Of course better form would often be the number #1 way to improve arrow flight and accuracy.

I would imagine nock-fit might be more impactful than the arrow's speed?

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
30coupe has it right.
John

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
30coupe,

I think your response is more in line with what I was getting at, though I did ask too narrow a question.

So, a lighter bow would magnify an archer's errors.  That said, it sounds like that has less to do with arrow velocity and more to do with the power of the bow overcomming certain shooter errors.  For example, a heavier bow is less likely to be affected by plucking.

Am I thinking the right direction?

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I think you're on the right track now.  In "theory" faster is less prone to deflection etc, but 99% of deflection, plucking, etc is due to the shooter not the equipment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©