3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Bows: Grips  (Read 305 times)

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Bows: Grips
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
So.....what say the folks about the subjective differences between the various grips of the Hill style bows.  

I have a NM Shelton now with the locator grip and for the life of me, I cannot reason how there can be a real world difference between it and a straight grip.  I just feels pretty ambiguous.  I do not notice the locator notch and just put my hand flush with the arrow shelf anyway.

That being said, I ask the question: What are the differences you feel there are between the straight, dished, and locator grips of the various makers of Hill bows.

Note: It is probably not a popular option on Steve's hill bows but I would also be interested to hear about the RW grip as well in a Hill bow if anyone has any experience with it.  Im sure it is more popular on his R/D bows.

Im in the process of contemplation on a new Hill bow and am interested in how others feel about this.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Bows: Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
I started wih the locator grip on my Hill bows and gravitated to the dish, and finally settled on the Hill straight grip. Not a lot of difference in the dished vs. straight grip, but there is some. Craig Eakin offers two grips on his Hill TD models; a small straight, and a larger straight. I have them both, and I can honestly say there is very little difference. The Hill straight grips seem to be a little larger(more mass) then the grip found on the Northen Mist and fits my hand a lot better. Bow grip is a very personal thing,something we all have to decide for ourself. Good luck in your quest.   :campfire:

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I like how the part of the palm directly under the thumb fits into the a dished grip.

A lot depends on how you hold the grip. If you hold the grip on the side, heel down, the straight and dish work great.

If you want a locator grip, the hand is wrapped around the grip, applying more pressure around the throat of the grip.

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
I also feel the locator grip impedes my low wrist grip because how the locator portion pulls the webbing of my hand into it.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »
Don't forget that the shape can also be a wedge, I have that on my Shrew Hill and for my hands it really cooks the bacon !!!
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I have tried several and a deep grip with dish and a very narrow back like a wedge is the best to keep you from torgueing.  It keeps your hand in a natural pointing postion.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChrisM:
I have tried several and a deep grip with dish and a very narrow back like a wedge is the best to keep you from torgueing.  It keeps your hand in a natural pointing postion.
x2
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
I like how the part of the palm directly under the thumb fits into the a dished grip.
Me too Darren!

I have the NM loacator on a Superior, I like it as well, I shoot it same as my straight bows.

What I have found is, what makes more of a difference to me is the size of the grip, the deeper the better and not too wide. A grip that fills my hand I can grip most consitant, be it straight, dished or touch of locator.

Eric

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I think that before I buy a Hill style, I will have to shoot a few to see which grip I prefer.  Sounds like a good reason to go to Compton....

Offline Rossco7002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I have found the slight dished grip on my Schulz to be the best grip I've ever shot. It is deep and very narrow at the palm but still has a decent  swell to it. Seems to cause an identical hand placement  every time - and that placement just lines me up perfectly. Shooting that bow is litteraly like pointing your finger at what you want to hit. VERY intuitive.
HHA Half Breed 52@28
David Miller 'Old Tom' - coming soon
John Schulz American Longbow 65@28
David Miller 'The Expedition' 55@26

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I am very comfortable with both the straight and the dished grips. Neither one feels particulary more natural or controllable. None of my Hill bows have the locator grip, but I have other longbows that do. They are o.k. but I just prefer the other two grip styles.
Sam

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
I prefer a dish or straight grip on my Hill's.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I have all three plus a forward grip Big Five.  I like the forward grip best, then the dish, then straight and the locator last.

Offline William Penn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »
I have found, with the draw weight of the bows I shoot, the Dished Grip gives me more control, stability, and power.
Bill

"The problem with information obtained, via the Internet, is determining if the information is genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
I make my straight grips slightly asymmetrical to the bow hand, one can tell when the bow is in the wrong hand. I do the same with my version of the locator grip, but with my locator style I can still heal the bow as much as is needed specifically for my hand.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
I can tell you that without question, Steve's Northern Mist locator grip IS VERY DIFFERENT than most others.  Take a close look at where the locator starts, stops, and the details.  Steve's places your hand as you say, right where it goes.  I have not found the same with any other Hill style bow, and others of different designs often lack the thought he has put in his locator grip. I am sure some people may not like his, prefer another style, etc...but I am a straight grip man, but can still take his locator grip and not miss a beat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©