3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stand approach, flash ligt or first light?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stand approach, flash ligt or first light?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I hate going in with a light. Not that I haven't done it, but it kills your night vision, lights up stuff except for the twig that gets in your eye.
I feel more blind with a light than without.
I worry about it scaring deer off, even though they just look at it. I usually start my walk in total darkness. I know where my stands are usually, so I don't usually get lost. This morning I got to my stand 25 minutes before sunrise. Just at shooting light. You should be able to see with moon light good enough to find your stand (where I hunt anyway).
I come out the same way. At least in the morning, it's always getting lighter, so if your lost, no problem. But, at night it just gets darker, so getting lost can be a problem, with or without a light. I do keep a light for blood trails, of course.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Before first light.  I have a small light that clips to the brim of my hat (light is green in color) and so far I have not spooked any game (however, this season I have barely seen any game either, regardless of the time of day!)

Have a great/safe season all!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Neither.  Stumble in the dark.  There is usually enough light if you let your eyes get accustomed - by not shining a flashlight around.

But yes, I have "missed" my stand a couple times and waited out the dawn sitting on a blowdown.  Lately my stand is on my property and I have no problem finding it without a light.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Must be a NY thing Charles (I was born and raised in NY) and I also stumble into the woods in the dark. I tend to go very slow, know my area well, and get out ridiculously early. I enjoy sitting in the dark waiting for the light. Now unusual for me to be there 30 min, 45 min or even an hour before first light ... although I think thats nap time more than half the time. Theres a reason I rarely hunt from a tree anymore. Thank God for hunting  blinds and fold up chairs.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I use to never use a flashlight to get in & outta of the woods.This past Spring I was trying to sneak in close to some roosted turkeys in the dark without a light & ended up falling &  breaking my leg & being off work for 3 months.I use a light all the time now...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
It's a pain walking hauling everything in with a head lamp in the dark...but once I get to my tree it is beyond cool.  I'd hate to give that up even though I rarely see deer at the crack of dawn.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Depends for me, if I have a stand set, then I can get to it in dark without flashlight.  If going in early to set a stand or new area use a light to get to an area.  I am convinced Deer cannt see the light, but turkeys sure can.  If in an area where I know turkeys are at I will wait to first light or an area where I have to move through thick vegataion to get to stand and stalk my way in.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
One other thing, use a red or green cover over you light (tape works great).  Not so much for animals, but helps keep your night vision so as you set up or ascend the tree not totatlly blind.

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I like to sneak in with a red flashlight and get settled down at least 30 min. before first light.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Neither, so I didn't vote.  I go in before light without any lights.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Lately I'm having to walk so far to even find any deer sign it ends up being both on one trip.

I walk out the door a 4:45am and try to beat daylight at 6:45am. I lost the last two trips. When I got to the tree I was going to climb I didn't need a light.

Something has to give..I've hunted 21 days and seen a total of 3 deer.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
I do a little of both.  I can cover a lot of ground a lot quicker and quieter when I can see.

Plus I'm a sucker for damp leaves in the morning and the opportunity to cross a path at eye level.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
I get to my stand at least a half hour before first light. If I need a flashlite I'll use it.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:00 PM »
Actually unless it is really dark, one can find his way nicely by star/moon light.

Just give the ole peeper a bit of time to adjust to your night vision, take your time and leave the light in the pack for blood trailing.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 12:46:00 AM »
I voted flashlight but I only use one if it is a real dark night. I hunt on private property and can get to most of my set-ups with my eyes closed. If I am hunting a new set or new place I use a light. I like to get in my stand 1  to    1 1/2 hours before first light.

Bisch

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
I like to be in the stand an hour before light.

That said I use either a red or green light when needed.

I encourage everyone to use a light of some kind once gun season comes in (small game, big game). Walking through the woods in very low light conditions with other hunters out there is a recipe for disaster.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 07:21:00 AM »
You know I have been hunting since 1967.. I was a long time "Go early" guy, but in all honesty I can count the number of times I have had deer at first shooting light on one hand..

I hear a lot of them moving in the early dark, but rarely have there been deer coming through in the early light..

Much more activity about sun-up to an hour and half later, ,but I know that varies by location, pressure etc.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:00 AM »
Flash light for me. I get into my blind about 45 minutes before it's light enough to take a shot.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Flashlight is the way to go. Watching the woods wake up is a big part of it for me.

If I waited till first light I would feel like I'm running late.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
I try and be in my stand and settled 1/2 hr before pink light. love listening to the night critters going to bed and the day critters waking up.
Flashlight for me.
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©