3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stand approach, flash ligt or first light?  (Read 1131 times)

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stand approach, flash ligt or first light?
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
I almost always use a red headlamp while walking in.  It seems that i am much quiter and it is much safer.  I have never had a deer react to my red light either.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
wow, i am jealous, i wish i could find my way to my stand with NO light but it is nearly impossible on the ridge i hunt. i know it well but would brake my butt with all the limbs, rocks and streams.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:
wow, i am jealous, i wish i could find my way to my stand with NO light but it is nearly impossible on the ridge i hunt. i know it well but would brake my butt with all the limbs, rocks and streams.
same here, i have tried the no light thing alot but had a pretty bad eye injury from a dang unseen stick in the eye, I think Roger Rothhaar always slipped in at first light, i personally just cant do that, so i use a light sparingly and try to be in stand at least 30 minuites before any hint of light
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave Lay:

Originally posted by adkmountainken:
same here, i have tried the no light thing alot but had a pretty bad eye injury from a dang unseen stick in the eye, I think Roger Rothhaar always slipped in at first light, i personally just cant do that, so i use a light sparingly and try to be in stand at least 30 minuites before any hint of light [/b]
I am not much of an early morning guy but always stay out until total dark.  Candidly I really have a hard time getting up so early, but if I do, I usually use a light going in and out.  I haven't tried the colored light thing so I am going to try that this weekend.  The colored light thing seems to make sense to me regarding the eye /light adjustment factor.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I hunt on the ground,just my preference,after killing two rattle snakes last year I go in at daylight.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Considering I have some slob hunters by me that shoot before legal light I always use a headlamp on the lowest setting. they use climbers so i have no idea where they will be set up. I'd rather spook a few deer than get shot by these idiots.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I use a head lamp with a green lens.

doug77

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
I use a flashlight with a red light. Supposed to not be seen by deer, but don't know about that. Use it because I have it and the light is less intense.

I like to be settled about 30 minutes before shooting light.
 Really neat time there in the last bit of black, feel like a hunter.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline backyardbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I use a light too. To dangerous where I hunt to get to my stand without one before shooting light. If you're going to spook deer you'll do it with or without a light if it's dark.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
I go in during light. Have not seen many deer at first light. I can be twice as quiet when I can see and like to stalk hunt to my stand.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I use a light with red lens and cat eyes
Jim

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Actually if I remember my night vision classes in the ole US Army, is
1. Wait about 2-3 minutes for your eyes to acclimate to the dark.

2. Never look directly at what you are trying to see. Rather look past it, and use your periphial (sp)vision to see shapes and objects.

3. Move slow and keep your eyes moving and don't stare.

4. Use a flashlight even once and you start all over.

We use to tape the lens of a flashlight and leave just a pin hole for those times you just absolutely need a bit of help.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
I checked flashlight but I don't use one.  I also hunt from the ground, so I'm not climbing in the dark.  I love sitting against a tree and hearing the forest wake up around me.  Plus, it lets everything settle down for a while before first light.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I use the light. Even in daylight, I clump like a horse, so I would not be signicantly quieter by waiting. Instead, I try to be on stand about 45 minutes befor dawn breaks. This lets the woods settle back down.There is something special about watching the woods come alive when that first bit of daylight shows.
Sam

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I go in early, but usually don't use my light until I am settling in.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
I stopped going in when it was totally dark because I could hear the deer running away as I walked in . I have been more successful by hunting my way into my stand during First Light. That way you may be able to avoid spooking deer out of your hunting area.

Offline Rod in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Ive been coon hunting using super bright lights and have gotten close to deer many times and even seen them stay bedded from 50-75 yds away.  Ive also used the very dim red light approach and had deer snort at me.  I was just out tracking a deer a couple weeks ago with a bright light  and a spike let me walk by at less than 50 yds. He never ran just would walk a ways and stop and look.
 Im not convinced that you wouldnt be better off using a very bright light while approaching the stand. This would be true especially if youre hunting deer close to roads where they see car headlights regularly. I think that maybe because of cars they have become accustomed to very bright lights but not necessarily little sissy lights sneaking around.  And there aint no way Im slipping around in the half dark with no light around here. Bubba would put a hole in me for sure! 8-)
Rod Martin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
OBXarcher provides excellent advice about a small light helping to keep you from being mistaken for game by someone making bad decisions!  

Here in KY several bow hunting days are overlapped by firearms seasons; Youth Rifle, MZZL, General Firearms, another December MZZL, and then another Youth rifle after Christmas.  I of course wear the obligatory orange and I will have a small light on to "help" from giving someone something tragic to remember the rest of their lives.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
unless absolutely pitch black or in really really thick mess...I get there early enough to let my night vision come around...and then slowly work my way to stand without any light.  If I need it to see an obstacle or ensure the stand doesnt have a wasp nest hanging under it or a coon on the seat...a quick flash of a green LED light works.  Most of the time I can get there without any light...just the thick forest or swamp I need it and then sometimes the cateyes are enough with ambient light.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©