3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: de-laminating tip question  (Read 424 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
de-laminating tip question
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
Hey guys I recently purchased a 98 Black Widow SA from the big auction site, and was excited about it until I started shooting and noticed that the fiberglass on the tip of the upper limb was pulling away from the wood. Im guessing that i'll probably have to send it to black widow to have it fixed. I was just wondering what you guys thought about it. Is it safe to use? Should I be stressed out about it? I'm just really ticked off because I payed big money for it. Any way here are some pics.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: de-laminating tip question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I feel your pain and been there. I would allow some Loctite 420, or similar, into the crack and clamp the area without too much tension. Leave it for a few hours and fire away. Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable doing that send it to BW and they can fix it for you.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
send it to black widow,i just sent mine for the same thing,it was cheap for them to fix it and refinish the seperated tip..just to be safe i would send it back,just give them a call
i like biscuits

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys that makes me feel better already. I havnt been this mad in a while. I love the bow and it shoots great but seeing that made my heart skip a beat; it was very un-noticeable but just one of those things that makes me upset.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Like they say, it's not necessarily a bow-killer.  I've fixed a couple similar ones with 420 in the past.  They held up so far. It's obviously a high-stress point, however. Forever - who knows? Since it's a recent Widow and that company remains very supportive, I'd choose to let them fix it.
Tom

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
I should have just ordered a new bow from widow. By the time i have it fixed and re-finished i'll have over 600 (i know) bucks into the set-up..   :banghead:

Offline STUMP THUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:15:00 AM »
A new one will cost over $1000.00
Call them they are great people to deal with.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Thanks Stump thumper   :thumbsup:  That puts the mind at ease some

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
if you do it yourself, make sure you degrease thoroughly to remove any was thats in the crack!

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
Six years ago I bought a BW SA on line that was pretty beat up but I got it for a good price.  Sent it off to BW for refinishing and what I got back was essentially a new bow.  They do great work!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
i think it cost me 40 dollars to ship have them ship it back and fix it....and knowing they did it made me feel so much better....
i like biscuits

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I would ship it back to BW because it appears to me like someone tried to fix it themselves already and used some type of filler.  Having them do it you are absolutely assured of having it done correctly.  Now I have fixed delaminated tips before myself and it is quite easy to do but like I said before, it looks to me like someone did it before...

Offline grayfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
I would not use it, you might make it worse.I would send it to BW and have them fix it and maybe refinish it and you will end up with a bow that looks new.If it has a name they can remove that too.This might be a good thing, you will have a great looking bow !!

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies. I am going to call BW today and see what they can do. I'll let you know what they say   :thumbsup:

Offline Eric S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
My buddy sent a pre cnc bow back to the widow guys for refinishing and a weight reduction. They replaced the previous owners name with his and did some modifying so it accept the newer cnc limbs. It came back looking like a brand new bow and all for a very reasonable price. I don't think their customer service can be beat.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Gave the guys at BW a call this afternoon. The gentleman I talked to called this a "dog ear". He said it could be fixed for 25, or it could be fixed and have overlays put on it for 50$. He said the overlays will strenthen it. I'm not sure which to choose, however They seemed like great people at BW!   :thumbsup:

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
For an extra $25 the overlays would be a smart investment.  That's good to hear how great their customer service is!  Good luck buckeyebowhunter!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
BW customer service is simply the best in the business. I agree you should get the overlays. I would also call them once they receive the bow to discuss anything else they might see that should be fixed. Otherwise, once you get it back it will be like new.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©