3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkeys in the tree's, eithical or not???  (Read 670 times)

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkeys in the tree's, eithical or not???
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
No, not only illegal here in RI, but how would you know if another hunter wasn't in the immediate area if they were in full camo?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
In SC, it is legal to shoot birds in the tree from 30minutes after sunrise, to 30minutes before sunset.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I wouldn't.I like calling them in the spring,that's 99% of the fun to me.But if it's legal and you want a turkey take the shot.If you're stalking them I don't see much difference between them on the ground or in a tree,ya still gotta put a good sneak on to get in range.

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Unless I were starving in the wilderness, I wouldn't take the shot. Just for the record, I won't shoot doves off the power lines either. Nor ducks on the water. Nor deer at a feeder. Nor a bear with his nose in a doughnut pile. Nor wolves from an airplane.

I don't care that it's legal or that someone else sees nothing wrong with it. I just won't do it.

What it comes down to is the difference between "sport hunting" and subsistence hunting. I recognize that I'm a sport hunter and I have to abide by my own rules. My personal code of "fair chase" is all that matters to me.   :readit:  

Subsistence hunting is different. If I were in dire circumstances and foraged for survival, I'd shoot or snare or club to death any nourishment that I needed to keep going. Hen turkey sitting in a tree? Ring the dinner bell!   :)  

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by jjwaldman:
I wouldn't, not because it isn't ethical, just because I would probably miss and never find my arrow.    :biglaugh:  
Same here.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gila Mike:
My personal code of "fair chase" is all that matters to me.  
Great post! this part sums it up.^

I went on a baited bear hunt once with a few of my buddies and I got a bear.They all went back the next year but I didn't go. The hunt just didn't sit right with me.I even ended up giving the bear rug away.I've got no problem with anyone else doing it,but it's just not for me.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
I'm with most the others, may be even a little more of a challenge than pluggin one ten feet out of a pop up blind.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
I'd have no moral dilemma about the altitude of the bird! But...

I'd want a fluflu and a nice backdrop & be practically positive of no other person in range.

And, though I would never have given it any thought before, NOW I have to find out about the legality in NY...

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I really don't see anything wrong with it and I shoot squirrels like that anyway.

That said, I wouldn't have taken the shot. I just like things to happen on my terms. Even jumping a deer walking in or out of my stand (legal shooting hours) I pass on with my bow in hand. I just want to put in the effort and have it happen my way not by some fluke.

My exception to that rule is coyotes. I don't hesitate to shoot them anytime.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
If one likes turkey breast and aint up to a trip to Kroger he might ought to loose an arra!

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Only on the wing!
"They're all trophies"

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Only on the wing for me.
"They're all trophies"

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
If the circumstances were safe and legal, yes I would shoot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 06:54:00 PM »
Ken. .  as you described it. . . I woulda shot (if legal).  Out west you get shots like that all the time at grouse.  They fly up to a tree to escape a coyote or fox (or us).

Chuck

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Not 100% sure, but don't think itis legal where I hunt. Never thought about it but don't think i would try a tree shot.

Bisch

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Never had a problem shooting 'em on the ground (I'm about 2,000 feet above sea level) don't figure there's an issue shootin one at 2020 feet either.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I dont think a turkey feels any better about being shot on the ground than if he or she is up a tree.  You made your choice, no blessings needed. :dunno:

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I didn't vote in the poll, because I guess I don't look at it as ethical, but more as fair chase.  I personally would not shoot a turkey in a tree.  I have had the opportunity once before and passed and it was after morning flydown and I was bowhunting deer in the fall, but had a fall turkey tag in my pocket.  I have also seen ducks on the water and pheasants in trees and past of them as well when hunting.  Now I would not have a problem with another hunter taking those shots if legal, but for me, I don't feel right about taking the shot.  Maybe that is my ethics, but I never really considered it that way.  It wouldn't offend me if someone else took that shot, so I wouldn't consider it against my ethics.  My daughter and I talked about this while hunting.  In fact she was in the stand with me the day I was deer hunting and a turkey was startled by something and flew up and landed in a tree about 20 yards from us.  She asked me if I was going to shoot it and I said no.  She asked why and all I could say is, it didn't seem fair to me.  I said it is like playing tag and the tree is the turkey's free base.  If they are there they are safe.  May not make sense and you may not agree with it, but I wouldn't proudly tell the story of how I shot a turkey out of a tree and if I can't be proud of my kills, then I shouldn't make them.  But I could be very happy for another hunter who took an animal legally and proudly told their story, regardless of how I would have handled their specific circumstance.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
Yeap, if one can get under neath a roosted Turkey close enough for a bow shot, you have mad skills!    :clapper:    :clapper:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
Yep, been known to take a other critters out of trees too.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©