3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pop-Up Truck Camper  (Read 246 times)

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
Pop-Up Truck Camper
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
This may seem a little odd, but I have the opportunity to purchase a pop-up truck camper(the kind that slides in the back of the truck.  The idea is I can throw it in the back of the truck to hunt out of.  Plus, I have two little boys that I'm sure would love it.  Does anyone have any experience with these?  What are the positives and negatives?  This one is a starcraft.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pop-Up Truck Camper
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
Like all pop ups, it's all in the maintenance, and make sure you bolt it down good if you do buy it. If it works for you, it works for you. All that's left is the price negotiation!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I'm not sure if it would work for me or not....I don't know anything about them.  It seems like something that would work.  I've a had a few of those moments when things seem like a really good idea......  :knothead:

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Tom said it best, it's all in how well the unit was maintained and stored.  Driving with one on is different with the weight and height.  Be sure your truck can handle the additional load.  A lot of folks will add air shocks to handle the additional weight accordingly.  The slide-in units can be a bit cozy for more than one individual especially if you are caught in a several day-long rain.

Offline Ferris Bugler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
We have one and it is great.  Depending on where you live you could be limited in the areas that you drive once it is on.  Also they tend to get leaks that need to be recaulked, and the plastic parts that make up the plumbing can crack easily if they freeze. Just like above it's all about the maintenance, but it love ours.  Comfortable sleeping arrangements, warm heat. There are a lot of advantages to it.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Well, asumming, it,s in decent shape and your truck will handle it ok. They work out very good,. I dont know how big your boys are but they will probably fit on the top bunk and you can take the bottem. My son and I used one for lots of years, huntin and fishin all over Colorado Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas etc.. and had some really good times. They have a low profile so they do well in the wind and not much wind drag for fuel milage, light weight. Kind of tight quarters though for long stays. Great for sleepin and cookin...stayin warm. I would recomend getting a pretty big awning type shelter to place up against the back of it for expanding you living space in case of weather etc. The ones with four jacks instead of the three jack set up are alot nicer to load and unload....All in all its a great setup especially if you have atv's etc that you need to haul in a trailer. Kind of a pain to have to put everything away and fold up every time you need to go somewhere in the truck though. If you dont have to haul a trailer for atv's or whatever you may want to check out an older travel trailer, lots more room, just more comfortable all around. As for getting into spots with rough roads the pop up would do better probably but I flipped the axels on my trailer and have had no problems getting into most places . Good luck, just think it through and you will do great with whatever you decide on...Have fun out there with your boys.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Make sure your truck can handle it.  Unfortunately I haven't found one light enough yet that my F150 can hold.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I like mine.  It even comes with 4 bow holders.

Only problem I have had is when my tent camping buddies get out of their warm sleeping bags and I have to accomidate them before they freeze to death.  (Buckster & Caleb hoggin my space & breakfast)

Seriously I love my camper.  With two boys it would be better to stay outside as much as possible until it is time to sleep.  Ditto the fact that you really need to make sure your truck can handle a camper.  I bought my pickup before the camper but I knew I would get a camper so I bought a 3/4 ton truck
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I owned one for several years, and I loved it for hunting. The wife and I took it to Alaska in 2011, and it rained for about 50 of the 65 days we camped in it. It never leaked, but it sure did get crowded when the rain was pouring down. We ended up selling it after the trip and bought a small travel trailer, that seems like the Taj Mahal in comparison.
This is one of the days it didn't rain; Wrangell Island, what a place!

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
My first five deer hunts were out of one starting when I was 12. It was cold, cramped, smelled and there was no escaping my Dad and Uncle's snoring.
That being said, it was the most fun I've ever had, and that little pop up is one of my fondest memories.
David M. Conroy

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
I agree with 4dogs.  I love mine for hunting or camping with my wife.  It can get a little crowded at times though.  Hauls good on a 3/4 ton truck, 1/2 ton wouldn't handle it very well.  Make sure your truck is set up for hauling.  Most of all, have fun.

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
me and my father both camped and hunted out of one for many years, the plus side to them is that they are very convenient and light, and they make it easy to tow something like 4 wheelers or a boat, plus there is no driving back to camp, wherever you end up BAM! your at camp:) the negative side is that you cant get back into the really rough areas if your planning on hunting out of the truck (at least if you want it to last more than a season) they dont hold heat as well as a solid camper and yes if your hunt gets rained out you had better like your hunting partner:)
long story short me and my dad both went seperate ways, he ended up getting a full size hard side slide in, and I ended up with a compact tow behind camper, and we have both had many discussions about going back to a slide in pop-up.  the truth is, there is no perfect camping set up.  if its a good deal and in good shape get it and make it work  :)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
This is something I have been thinking about for a long time. All camping has some sort of hardship. There is always something that you either have to hook up,pull out, crank up,set up,unhook, tear down and last and certainly not least, pay for. There is a + and a - to any kind of camping way. You are probably correct with your first instincts, your kids will love it. What others call hardships,kids call adventure.

Offline statikpunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
bigbucksntrucks..they do make slide in pop ups for f150 sized trucks , most manufacturers have a small truck sized camper and some even have campers small enough for toyota tacoma sized trucks.  check out the campers made by "4 wheel drive"

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input, everyone.  Gave me some things to think about.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Thanks statikpunk,  I'll check that out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©