3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: But wait, there's more!!!  (Read 748 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
But wait, there's more!!!
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Man, what a hunt!  I can't believe how GOD has smiled on me this past week.  Killed that big buck last Friday, and now this.  The whole thing seems unreal!

Monday afternoon, at Horse Creek WMA, I strapped on all my gear and decided to make the long walk back to the spot me and Robert call the "2 Mile Oak".  On my way back, I came across a Swamp Chestnut that was dropping hard, and showing a good bit of sign.  I knew that a lot of the sign was from hogs, but some of it had to be deer.  I found one pile of droppings, and saw some deer tracks here and there around the tree.  I studied the spot for a while, and finally picked out a tree to climb that would give me plenty of cover.

From the time that I got on the stand, I didn't like the setup.  I had plenty of cover alright, so much that I couldn't shoot under a good portion of the chestnut.  The limbs that were blocking my shots were out of reach.  I contemplated climbing down and drilling another tree, but kept debating the move until it was too late to do it.  Right at that time when you expect to see one, a doe came in and fed under the tree for a good 10 minutes, all the while within 15 yards.  I was upset with myself for making a rookie mistake, and just as soon as she eased off, which was right at dark, I climbed down, picked out a better tree, and drilled my holes and got set up for the next morning.

My clock went off at 5:45 this morning, and I jumped up and hit the showers.  I wanted to go in as clean and scent free as possible.  As soon as I could get dressed, I headed out so I could be on stand and settled in before daylight.

I had on about every layer of clothes I had brought, but almost froze as I hurriedly made the 15 minute walk to the chestnut.  Once I got on stand, I pulled the hood of my jacket over my head and waited for day to break.  At approximately 7:10, I thought I heard a deer grunt somewhere in the blackness out in front of me.  It was only one time, very faint, with no other sounds accompanying it.  I got to thinking that maybe it was a bird of something and wrote it off.  About 5 minutes later, I heard it again.  I pulled my hood off my head so I could hear better.  Nothing for the next several minutes...

All of a sudden, I heard the unmistakable crunch of a chestnut acorn.  Only two critters in the woods, that I know of, to make that sound.  Deer and hogs.  At this time, it was just light enough that I could shoot to about  5 yards, and couldn't see much past that.  Several minutes, and busted acorns later, I glimpsed movement and saw a deer easing in under the offside of the tree.  It looked like a doe, but the light was so dim it was hard to tell.  I watched it for several minutes, then suddenly saw another deer further out on the edge of the slough.  It looked like a cow!  I couldn't see antlers, but knew by the discrepancy of size between the two deer that this one was a buck!

I eased my hand up and flipped on the video camera.  The bright light from the LCD screen lit up my arm.  I hit record, and then slowly, like molasses in the winter time, moved my hand back down to the bowstring.  It was still so early, the video screen was solid black.  I left it recording thinking that if these deer fed for a while, eventually there would be enough light to film.  

About 10 minutes later, after having ample opportunity to shoot the doe at 5-7 yards, she decided her belly was full and started walking away from the tree.  The buck was still on the offside of the tree, but I knew he wouldn't be far behind her.  Luckily, the route of her departure would bring him through a clear lane where I could shoot.  By this time, I was able to see the deer clearly in the camera, and was following him along.  There was still a bunch of foliage in the way, and I hadn't had a clear look at his rack, but he was coming.  I shoved the camera ahead of him, in the hole where I hoped to get a shot.  He was coming fast now, and I had to scurry to get on the string.  

When he hit the hole, I drew, and simultaneously mouth bleated to get him to stop.  As if on cue, he stopped on his mark.  I can remember baring down hard on the spot I wanted to hit, and the next thing I know, yellow feathers were sticking out from there.

I watched him run for a few yards before he disappeared from view, and then a few seconds later I heard him crash.  The sounds of a sucking chest wound filled the air momentarily, and then all was silent.  I gave him a few minutes and then got down to take a look at him.  I stepped off 12 yards to the spot he was standing, and saw blood at the hit.  A short 55 yards later I was standing over him.  

Can't believe I've killed the two biggest bucks of my life within 5 days of each other.  He's probably a hair smaller than the one I killed last Friday, but to me he's even more special.  Heck of a buck on public land.

Thanks to Dennis and Robert for helping me get him out.  I probably could have done it without them, but I sure didn't want to!  Lol!

Robert has some better pics.  Maybe he'll post them up.

Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: But wait, there's more!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Another nice Buck,now I know where my 4 leaf clover went,congrats.  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Great work Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
Nice buck Chris and great story.   :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
:notworthy:    :clapper:  I hoping to fill my one buck tag this season! Congrats on another!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Wow, what a weekend to remember for you! congrats
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
Nice one again!!!!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Alright, now just where is it that your hunting?   :saywhat:

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Wow!!!  I guess you have used up all of your luck for your lifetime.  How about passing some of that onto some of us 'ol timers?

Great Job!

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Beautiful deer.  He'll fill the freezer, no question.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Busy week!!  Both are great deer Congrats!!!  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
There you go...hangin' out with that Robert feller will just bring the mojo  :)  

WAY TO GO on two great bucks. Doing it on public ground is even more impressive! Proud for you...now the taxidermist get's to bite you twice   :cool:
Mike Davenport

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Thats GREAT  :readit:      ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »
Congrats again!!!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Wow..awesome!  Love to follow your hunts!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Holy cow!  What a season Chris!  You are a real killer!

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Nice buck!!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
super great buck!

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
2 fine bucks in 5 days. I think your showing off! haha Congrats bro!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
Awesome congrats again!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic: