3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: scrape help and set up AGAIN (pic's) new pic's...  (Read 426 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
scrape help and set up AGAIN (pic's) new pic's...
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
last Saturday i took a walk in a field near my house and noticed 2 large scrapes. now i have never saw where the buck has hit the ground so hard with his antlers like this buck has. figured i would monitor this field. took a walk today and there are now 7 scrapes all the same way. heavy dug ground and pawed up good. the first 2 times i looked you could count 5 drag marks per side as he used both sides of his horns, that tells me 12 point right?? i doubt the spikes are hitting so would assume 12 pt. my neighbor (non-hunter) has saw the buck by the house, standing in a small cemetery twice now. he told me lots of points but not really wide which would go pretty well with these scrapes, tines close together but many points. on a side note i have now named this buck Stiffler for standing with, well.... the dead.. ok now i have set up my stand by the 3 biggest scrapes about 10 feet back in the hedge row that has some hard wood trees.  i would guess he is traveling in the afternoon/night as he is close to the houses yet when my neighbor saw him it was when coming home from work at 4:30. many other deer tracks in the field edge so looks like quite a few. i have saw many scrapes North but never have i saw one rake the ground so hard with his horns. heres some pic's and info you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: scrape help and set up AGAIN (pic's) new pic's...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
heres how Stiffler got his name. the trees in the back is where my stand is as the bean field is on the other side.

my set up and area. click in the pic for short video.

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
Ive never seen a buck rub the ground with its antlers...  I believe what you are seeing is the marks from his hooves scraping the ground.  If you watch one closely they tend to just drag the tip of the hoof on the ground, scraping it and leaving marks like your seeing.

Good that your seeing so much fresh sign though!
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I am the same.  I believe also what you are seeing is the hoof marks.

Offline DGF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
One thing I've noticed is scrapes on open field edges seem to get used at night, where as scrapes found around thicker cover are more likely to be used during the day. These observations are made in fairly pressured areas so maby the deer in your neck of the woods are a bit more bold if not pressured.

-Dan

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
Ken your over thinking it bud, you have some great sign there but several bucks can be using or will be using that scrape. Those are hoof marks not antler scrape marks.

As mentioned most scrapes are not worth hunting except for breeding scrapes and they will not be found on a field.

Don't over scout right now wait for later in the season. Just get out there and hunt! this spot is much much better then the spots you have hunted in the past. Good luck!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Hoof marks X4.

Perfect application for a trail camera set on video mode and you will witness them clearing the leaves from it and making those marks. I think that is also a way they disperse their interdigital gland scent into it as well.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
trail camera is set up across the field. man if they are hoof marks he is an artist as his lines are perfect and about 5 to a side EVERY time. just hard to believe it could be that PERFECT on each one. like i said i had NEVER saw one scrape with his horns but dammmm if thats not what it looks like!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Ken, Definately hoof marks. Ken they usually will stand in one spot and paw the same spot which will cause not only a dug trough but also the marks all in the same consistant line perfectly parallel to each other.

I think you are right that the field edge will see more action at night. I think some of those old apple trees we saw while rabbit hunting a few years ago would have a great breeding area.  

Good luck, that woods is awesome. I was thinking that all the while we were trying to walk through the snow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
I would get off the field about 100 yards on an east/west trail. And if you get a visual on him you can adjust your stand accordingly if needed.I have noticed bucks here tend to run east/west as the prevailing wind is north and sometimes it blows south when a warm front moves in. He may not come into the field but he might scent check that scrape during the day. Good luck Ken.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
i got to watch a big buck do exactly that this past Monday morning for about 5 minutes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm goina say its his hoof.  And he probably ain't staying in the woods by the looks of that corn.  Can he scent his scrapes from the field?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
the corn field is only seoerated from the bean field by a 100 yards of think brush so i think he could wind the scrapes from there BUT i walked the whole corn field all the way around and there is no where near the sign of the bean field. there is a small trail from cornfield to bean and i am with in range of that from the stand. i will be sitting there bright and early in the morning.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Ken; Forget the scrapes and hunt any funnels between bedding and feeding area's. Good luck!

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
Hoof marks for sure
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
Ken that buck is most likely hitting that area at night in the dark. You might beable to get him out during the day with the use of some good doe in heat scent and a decoy but hunter scent control is crucial in this circumstance.

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
Ken can you get to that stand in the morning with out bumping any deer? If legal spot light the field right after dark so you can try to tell what time there entering the bean field. The scrapes should give you a line of direction and help you decide weather to hunt it am or pm field scrapes are mostly visited at night.GOOD LUCK. TD.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
That's some nice bunch of sign, but find the does and your buck will come to you when the time is right. If the does are feeding there as well, find the hot trails to and from the field and find out where they're bedding. If the rut is heating up, you can bet he'll start cruising the bedding sniffing around for hot does.

I have a similar situation here- see a monster about every evening I'm out. Time to figure out where his does are and find a spot to set up between where they feed and where they bed.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Never had luck hunting scrapes. But it's cool to see all the sign that they leave behind. I hunt the does and wait for the bucks .as for the marks in the scrapes I believe they are from his hooves . Good luck. Don
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Scrapes  have left me holding an empty bag. I  shot a state record buck back in 1990 but I set up about 80 yards from a scrape I know was his. I was in a pine on the edge of an overgrown apple orchard that had one bearing apple tree in it that year. Three does showed up followed by the buck. Butternutz is right about keeping track of the does. They are the best buck magnets there are. If you want to hunt buck sign I think you will be better off  hunting a rub line if you can find one. I think if I were in your situation (as I understand it) I would set up about 50-75 yards downwind from the scrape line as the buck(s) will more than likely be scent checking them from a distance.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©