3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Croatan Natl forest NC  (Read 513 times)

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
Croatan Natl forest NC
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
I'm planning on camping in Croatan next week and was wondering if any of you guys or gals have been there? I wont be hunting but will bring my bow for some stumpin and will probably fish...
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Croatan Natl forest NC
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
What part? I practicaly live in the croatan. don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:07:00 PM »
Hi Don .. Not sure there are two campgrounds and since we cant make reservations we will just have to see where we can land...
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Me too, not very far from Don, FWIW. Croatan is a big place though, and not sure where the campgrounds are.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
The one is on the neuse river and the other is near cedar point... Honestly I plan on exploring as much of the area as possible.. Me and the family are going and will probably hike, canoe' swim' fish etc... I wouldnt be opposed if someone wanted to meet up and fling some arrows either.. God bless, Kevin T

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I'd be careful stumping in the National Forest. I don't think target practice is allowed outside official ranges. There was a thread about that subject not long ago. `

This coming weekend most if us will be out west for a big Trad shoot.
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
I do remember the one on the Neuse River now, I think. If it is what I'm thinking of, it is about half way between New Bern and Havelock, off US Hwy 70. I live just outside Cedar Point and Cape Carterett (in Peletier - not on most maps, on State 58) and don't know where that would be. Oh, wait, it could be off State 58 at Long point and Haywood landing, perhaps. That's between Cape Carterett (right against Cedar Point) and Maysville. They used to allow camping there and perhaps still do - not very big area - pretty though and is a boat ramp. Haven't been to the one on 70 in years, though I go by the entrance a couple times a week. Used to take the kids there a lot eons ago. The Neuse is so shallow there you can (could) walk out a half mile and still only be up to your knees - no kidding.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
I was just there Sunday.....beautiful area along the river.I f it's like most State areas you'll prolly have a good selection of camping spots.
Keep us posted..i'll be back that way this Saturday, maybe i'll drop in on ya.let us know where you camp.
Tim

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 12:48:00 AM »
Stobber I am not planning on being there until sunday night the 19th and staying till the 25th... But you are welcome to look me up .. since we cant make reservations we have to drive down and take a chance.. Thats why were going to come in on sunday, figure most people will be clearing out then..you guys can also email me at [email protected]

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm guessing Bernie is talking about Flanners Beach. With the hot weather you might get into the flounder and soft crabs at night with a lantern and walking gig. A southwest wind is usually better to see the bottom in. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
I think we will end up at the neuse river rec area which I believe is flanners beach.. If anyone wants to look us up we will be driving a jeep wrangler and have a viking popup..

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Yep, I ment to put Flanner's Beach in that post, and slipped.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline STOBBER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Just might look ya up and do some wading for crab and flounder.I wonder if it's cool to shoot flounder with arrers......same as a gig ?
Tim

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm not sure but definitely would give it a shot..

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by STOBBER:
Just might look ya up and do some wading for crab and flounder.I wonder if it's cool to shoot flounder with arrers......same as a gig ?
Tim
...check for legality.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Well I'm back. We ended up spending two days at flanders beach in Nc. We fished a little.. It was so hot that we ended up heading back north to virginia beach after that..

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Last week was really hot - naturally it's a little better this week - wouldn't you know, huh? Still hot though - in the high 80's.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Just caught that Bernie's in Peletier.  I've been vacationing in Emerald Isle for over 20 years now.   Love the prime rib at the Fairway Restaurant.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Stop by PKS FD when your in EI Magoo and see me! I worked at EIFD for awhile. Fairway is a good haunt and so is Rucker John's.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
Will do.  Used to like the "Flying Bridge" as well (good place to watch the 4th fireworks since the "Snapdragon" burned down.)  Last time I was there, my wife and I were literally the only people in there (must be on its last legs).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©