3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing Old Snake Skin Backing  (Read 191 times)

Offline graygoat

• Trad Bowhunter
Removing Old Snake Skin Backing
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Hello From Arkansas I have a old Hoyt Huntmaster recurve that a friend and I backed with copperheads about 20 years ago . All we did was use wood glue on them and it worked. We didn't seal the skins after it dried. Now I want to change them out. What can I use to remove the skins and old glue.I'm thinking about denatured alcohol.Any ideas?     :archer2:

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing Old Snake Skin Backing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Did you try to rehydrate with water and peel them off?  Don
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline graygoat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
No but I'll try it first it should loosen it some thanks

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
yes, a warm dampened cloth left on should really get things going.
David M. Conroy

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
I think I would go slow on the water...NOT AN EXPERT...It is just something in my gut that says soaking 20 year-old limbs with water for extended period of times, may not be the best idea.  I am assuming that if the skins were never sealed, neither were the limbs resealed over that time.

I would think a ding or two over that time would leave the wood exposed in a spot or two. And then the soaking water would be bad.

Maybe contact a skins expert or two to get there opinion first.

Good luck.

I too have a bow like this and have been wondering this same thing.   The limbs shoot great.  The skins are ugly, but the limbs still shoot great.  I have left it there  :-)

Good luck and I will watch this thread.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
I am a bit of a skins expert, I've done over 150 bows and you are absolutely right.
Never soak a bow. I should have been more detailed. The warm wet cloth or paper towel should be folded to cover only the skin, and only part of the limb at that. I usually use a paper towel and check it every time the towel gets cool. This keeps you checking the limb every ten to fifteen minutes or so. You will also be looking for the limb edges for any darkening showing moisture absorption. If you see this, simply stop and dry well with another paper towel. Since you are checking so often, not much will have seeped in and it should dry quickly. You can still continue to use the warm compress, just make sure you are applying just daMP AND WARM and drying /wiping edges often to keep it from getting into the wood lams. As the skin begins to loosen on the edges, you may be able to start peeling those skins right up.
If you see that you have a big issue with moisture getting into the edges easily, wipe them down with a paste wax before applying the moist cloth. This is easily removed later with turpentine lightly wiped over it.

Good call Dave, I was not paying attention.
David M. Conroy

Offline graygoat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks David the limbs are in good shape but caution is best. I will try the damp cloth.If there are anymore tips out there they would be welcome

Offline graygoat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
I just removed the old skins and 99% of the old glue .The warm cloth worked like a charm .Thanks for the advice.Now I'll buff the edges lightly for the glue down the sides. I have a Eastern Diamondback coming next week .I'll try to make pictures of the end product. Thanks for the help.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Great, can't wait to see pics!
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©