3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Game warden etiquette  (Read 976 times)

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Game warden etiquette
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
I've been stopped a bunch.  When rabbit hunting we saw him far off and as he watched we unloaded our guns and approached him.  No issues.  It is easier for him if he knows you are not carrying a loaded weapon.  I've been checked many times at my truck or pulling out of my parking spot.  The easiest thing is not be snotty.  As I know three wardens, we talk often about issues.  
   Its easier on all if there is mutual respect and no one is trying to be shady.  I did have to school one warden that thought small game licenses expired on 1 Jan.  He didn't know it went to the end of the season.
    In the 80's we could spotlight in Michigan without weapons, just shine fields and see what was out there.  I was stopped a couple of times and they searched the vehicle with consent.  No issues.  
Bottom line is be in the right and don't try to act as the check is an inconvenience.  Hopefully a check will catch poachers and those not so ethical.

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
I have only  been checked while fishing and gun hunting for squirrels years ago but many times.  I always placed my gun on the ground and stepped away from it to keep him from getting nervous. They seemed to appreciate it.  The situation got Much more relaxed for everyone after that.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Never had an issue, but I've always been on the good side of it. Had a friend that was bird hunting with a group of us, and unbeknownst to us, had no license. Wardens rolled in for a routine check and he bolted.....from a warden that routinely ran marathons! How do you think that turned out? You know what though, the guy admitted his fault, apologized, was courteous and the warden actually worked with him to get his weapon back and hunting privileges reinstated. Most of them are ok guys, doing a good thing. Follow the rules and I couldn't imagine having an issue.  
Key to it is IMHO, know the laws, follow the laws and be courteous and cooperative. If you have a beef with whats happening or has happened to you, there are proper channels to get attention for it. If you think your being mistreated, remember the details and take it up the ladder.
Most I've talked with are impressed with the use of traditional equipment, and they ask more questions about that than the normal inquiries.

Just my opinion.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »
While most wildlife officers receive more training and have more authority than other law enforcement people in their states, they are usually far more customer service oriented.  They realize the vast majority of their stops will involve people who are innocent of any wrong doing and voluntarily pay for wildlife conservation through license fees rather than mandatory taxation.

In KY for instance before I retired, our officers checked about 150,000 people per year (mostly anglers). Only 13% of these people ended up getting a citation.  

Many of these officers are hunters and anglers just like us.  They are trying to make sure people are safe and that the wildlife resource is used wisely (definition of Conservation is wise use).  They desire to prevent bad acts and actors damaging the image of hunting among the non-hunting public. They enforce laws that seek to distribute game to larger number of people.

I've been checked in Colorado, Wyoming, Ontario, Indiana, and Kentucky.  Treat these folks with respect and like fellow sportsmen and women who are hoping you have a safe and successful hunt.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:44:00 AM »
1st Peter 2:13-14
New International Version (NIV)

13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority: whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
I'm always glad to see them.
 I don't break the laws (intentionally, at least)and know how important it is to have them on the job.
Once when being checked, one of the officers noted an infraction that I was making(unintentionally)and was accepting of my response and very polite.
I met a local Conservation Officer a while ago on another matter. I was impressed with him, got his card and have called him on several occasions about our land and trespassers. Always helpful and ready to come visit.
We need these guys and gals on the job.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
When I lived in Ohio, I fished the Maummee River for Walleye when they were spawning. The bank would be lined up with people shoulder to shoulder. In all of those people there were always a few undercover Game Wardens tucked in waiting to ticket people for keeping Illegally caught fish. Sometimes they would hide on the opposite side of the bank and watch people through spotting scopes. I seen alot of people get ticketed for keeping snagged Walleye.

Offline ARwarden259

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
I am new to this site and I can not express how great it is to see so many people gathered in one spot with such great attitudes. As you can tell from my screen name this issue is very close to me. I must say I have to best job in the world and enjoy working around great people most of the time. I strive to be a guy that is respected because he is respectable. Once again I appreciat all the positve comments about my line of work. For those that have had negative experiences I am sorry to hear it, just try to understand that there are bad apples out there, but the vast majority of wildlife officers out there are good ole country boys trying to make a living doing somehting they love.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Some of the favorite stories (and hilarious) are those involving soft-undercover operations where the officer mixed among the public. I remember one on Trail Creek near LaPorte, IN that had a snagger hand him his rod while he unsnagged the fish.

I remember officers in Kansas getting a kick out of guys talking about having passed up roadside shots at "Robo-Deer" that day. The officers knew that this dumby deer hadn't even been set up in the county -- nice deterrent technique!

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Most of my family & friends are in law enforcement so I just treat any C.O. or law enforcement person like a person.  It always cracks me up when someone says "be careful, they're a cop", even off duty or when the person has no reason to be concerned.

That being said, back in the mid 80s I had a C.O. track me to my tree in the snow to check my license, 30 minutes before dark!  At that point we still wore back tags.  I turned and showed it to him when he was in the distance, but he kept coming.  I was cordial, but then asked why he had to track me in during prime time.  There weren't others hunting even close to me so he could have waited at my truck.  He seemed unconcerned.  As someone mentioned, there are knuckleheads in every profession.

D.P.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
They are law enforcement. I treat them with respect. I've never had a problem.
X3!

A fellow TG'r was stopped by former Pittsburgh Steeler linebacker turned Conservation Officer Jack Lambert a few years ago on a trip to PA. Great story to say the least but he was treated with the UTMOST respect.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
treat them like any other law enforcement officer....I listen, I respond...if I am carrying concealed I show them my permit.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
While at a large javelina hunt in Texas a few years ago I was stopped and checked by game wardens. Two of them had a road side stop set up on the ranch and were stopping everyone. One was polite and professional, the other was not so polite, he seemed hard headed and stubborn. I was very respectful of both of them, co-operated fully. They gave me and my buddy tickets for not having an archery tag. We both believed we did not need one. They gave over a couple of dozen tickets that evening to to other hunters. I thought at the time that the one officer did not really want to give me the ticket but he was following the direction of the other officer. We looked it up the regulation in the Texas book when we got back to camp and it was clear no archery tag was required. But.....the next day we were notified by these officers that the tickets were given in error, an archery tag was not required. I never understood how they could not know their own rules or laws. Everyone can make a mistake but this one seemed so simple it should not have been made.
John

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 10:25:00 AM »
Treat them the way you want to be treated.

Being a retired LEO I got sick and tired of the way some people acted and spoke to me so I acted accordingly.  For the most part issuing tickets can be discretionary.  

There is another retired LEO that hunts out of my camp.  We have informed our local CO's that we will be their back up if needed.  If you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about.  

A short story. I stopped a guy who ran a stop sign at a 4 way stop that I was stopped at in a marked unit.  As I walked up he reached out of the car window with his paper work.  I asked if he knew what he had done wrong and he responded by saying,"Yup, I was driving with my head up my ass".  I went back and ran him on LEIN to make sure there were no warrants on him and then walked up, gave his paperwork back to him and told him to have a nice day.  He got out of the car and asked me if I was going to give him a ticket and I told him NO that he knew what he had done.

If he would have asked me why I stopped him, he would have gotten a ticket.

If an officer is on a mission to write tickets there is not much you can do about it.  Get nasty and you will get every ticket possible.

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Same experience as most. The majority of encounters have gone well but there have been a couple who just tried to bully and intimidate but those have definitely been in the majority.

One correction though. Someone said that Wardens have more authority than other law enforcement officers. That is not accurate. They have the same authority. The focus on different laws but still must have probably cause and RAS. They cannot step on your rights as many seem to think.Here in Michigan out CO's go through the same recruit school as our state police.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
If you are not doing anything wrong or illegal, there should be no problem.....

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »
Shouldn't  be a problem, I've been stopped or"checked" in the past
and have been treated with respect. My hats off to them by and large they have one thankless tough job!!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Game Wardens help to keep the jerks home.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Game wardens are police, and you act and treat like you would a regular police officer. I have not had any problems with them and as long as you don't act offended that your being checked then you won't have an issue. common sense and politness.
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
For the most part all of my run ins have been uneventfull. Most are good guys. Theres a small majority that are real jerks tho. There was 1 time I was ice fishing a large reservoir in Wayne Co Pa. I fished til dark and had a good day. I had a mixed pail full of crappies,perch,bluegills and a few bass. I stumbled up a steep rise off the lake into the parking lot. It was pitch dark and when I crested the hill headlights blasted me in the face and a man jumped from his truck yelling fish commision, like you see on tv for a drug bust or something. He grabbed my pail of fish dumped it in the snow,took a tape to the bass and was disapointed to find they were all legal size,(i had to pick em all up) he checked my license and id, all were fine, he couldnt find a violation, so after a few minutes he said to me ya know i was watching you thru binos the whole time you were fishing and it was a full 10 minutes after dusk that you made any attemp to maintain your tipups they were therefore out of your control and heres your ticket. I think he was way out of line. I could see them all perfectly and none were more than 50 ft from the pail i sat jigging on. I think he was out of line and just trying to cause trouble. Ive got a game commision story as well but maybe later i typed enough here already

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©