3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cooking wih cast iron in deer camp  (Read 824 times)

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cooking wih cast iron in deer camp
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I just bought my first dutch oven. I live in a condo, you mentioned smoke, how much smoke? Will it set the fire alarm off?

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I think using soap is unecessary and since cast iron is pretty pourous for a cooking material- well, I can tell if one has seen soap or not because the taste is in the food.

Anyway, look at any older cast iron pans or dutch ovens and see how much better/smoother the castings are than the new stuff. Doesn't matter you say? The smoother surface is easier to clean than anything rough for obvious reasons.

I agree with anything said that when seasoned right, cast iron is basically non-stick.

Without hot water? If camp allows cooking with stuff as heavy as cast iron, than a half inch of water in the bottom and heated after the meal will suffice to clean it. And the sooner you wipe or rinse a cast iron pot or pan, even right after serving, the bettr.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
For the greatest "WOW!" factor try Bear grease!

It is possible, and probably desireable, to polish these newer pans smooth. Basic metalwork technique should work; 200 to 400 to 600 sandpaper and elbow grease!

I use antique pans for everday cooking, never use soap, just HOT water.

Be sure they are dry when stored to prevent rust, and know any uncured oil will mold if left on for a long period (easy to clean though, more HOT water!)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
Hi AWPForester.  Thanks for the post.

I did one myself in the cooking section quite a while back where I showed how I season on the stovetop.  In it, I stated that I'd tried about every oil possible and that I had found that I liked lard or deer tallow best for seasoning but I can honestly say that I've never tried flaxseed oil or even heard of it being used.  I did by chance see a bottle in the store just a day or two ago.  It was in the organic health food section so I might have to give it a try.  I'm a bit bullheaded at times and I have proven to myself that I prefer the results from animal fat but I'm not so close minded that I won't try something new.

You sound like you've put some time and effort into trying various methods for yourself and forming your own opinions which is refreshing for these days of internet experts.  I'll have to give your flax seed oil a try.

FYI, I'd be curious for you to try my stovetop method of seasoning and see what you think.  I'll see if I can find the post for you.

Okay, here it is:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000397
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
I brought up the issue of a "little soap" and hot water to clean because Health Departments require it for restaurant use for health reasons.  The dish soap will "cut" the residue grease and other bits left from cooking that water alone cannot always remove.  

I agree that using soap during the intitial seasoning process will only remove your efforts, but once properly seasoned, a little will not destroy seasoning.  I use a little soap on occasion and see no bad effects.

OK, going to put on a little bear grease...
Lon Scott

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:00 PM »
Just got a 25th anniversary  North American Longbow Safari Dutch Over for desserts...going to give this a try in it.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
Cast iron becomes non stick when a layer of carbon has built up on the cooking surface. Use what ever you like but the higher the burn temps the better.

It is best if it is seasoned several times and in an oven or better yet a gas BBQ as the smoke will be outside!

Washing with soap and water does not hurt the seasoned pan. Just don't over do it by scrubbing with a Dobie or SOS pad and remove the carbon you worked hard to built up.

The more you use it the more it will become truly a non stick cooking surface.

Do not and so much oil,lard ect. that it pools when heated as this will cause a rough and crumbly surface at that point and not bake into and adhere to the iron properly.

You can do the same with regular iron pans. Professional chefs use them and they season them properly as well. However they are more sensitive to temperature and not paying attention while using them can ruin the surface much more easily.

Non stick cookware is nothing more than the same carbon you build up in your cast iron except with a BUNCH of nasty chemicals added to make it adhere t the pans surface. Once this breaks down (and it will) you get the privilege of eating these fine chemicals with your food and causing who knows what illnesses over your life time.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »
Great info, Thanks for posting.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
I do a lot of reconditioning cast iron, so don't think because an old piece of cast iron look unusable, you just might be suprised.
Before electrolysis

And after.  It now has to heat treated seasonings.

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
When seasoned with the flax seed oil, all you gotta do is dump it and wipe it out.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, sticks too it.  If you find yourself wanting to wash it just do as stated above, put some water in it and heat, then just wipe it out.  NO SOAP.  But, like I said, if you follow these directions to a tee, you will have one that simply only needs dumped and wiped dry.  Your only reason from this time forward for oil or fat will only be to keep from burning the food.

I hear a lot of guys talk about the smooth surface of the Griswald and Erie pans being superior.  I don't think so, I believe it is just preference.  My Lodge Logic is as good as any of the older one's I have.  But the factory seasoning is bad.  So clean it in the oven and restart.  And cooking with the oil of your preference is fine.  The flax seed oil is just for seasoning.  Proper care to not leave water standing in it or not use soap, will ensure the rest of your life will be non-stick, or until the pan is abused by leaving liquids in it, ecspecially water.

Don't make the mistake of leaving lots of any oil in the skillet as they all contain water.  It doesn't help your efforts and vegetable oil seasonings and lard seasonings will evenually break down and chip if left submerged for days in vegetable oil.  The flax seed won't, but there is no reason for it so clean it when warm or starchy things like taters will leave a residue if allowed to cool in the pan.  When warm just dump and wipe out the mess.  Done.

As far as frying in it bacon to just season, the reason I don't is due to the contents of store bought lard.  I simply do not want all the carnigens it contains in my seasoning.  I do like to cook in animal fat much better as calgary chef mentioned.  It just does better.  If free ranging lard is avaialabe, I still would not use it versus the Flax seed oil for seasoning as it simply isn't as hard and the only time you damage seasoning other than soap or leaving submerged in oil for long periods after deep frying is when the pan is hot.

A softer seasoning will scratch if you are digging around in it when cooking.  Everytime you got put the steel to it to clean it from stuck on food, you are simply removing the seasoning as well.  That is why it is ideal to get a hard slick seasoning to start with.  Hence, flax seed oil.

I have used he stove top on about half my pans.  It works great and is much quicker.  Only draw back is it makes getting the sides of the pan seasoned tough as it doesn't get nearly as hot as the cooking surface.  If you cook scrambled eggs in one seasoned on the stove top, you''ll see that when you finish.  But there is a way to season all the pan on the stove top.

Get the pan hot on high.  Put a litle bit of seed oil on a paper towel, use a leather glove to protect from the steam, because it will burn you, and you have to be able to coat the entire pan bottom.  Wipe on a layer.  It is going to start sizziling and smoking bad but get it all covered and keep the heat going until the pan quits smoking.  Put another layer until the pan quits smoking again.

Then remove the pan, put a layer on the side walls and place over the burner upside down on high heat.  It is going to start smoking as well.  Let it finish smoking as that means the oil has been dried, turn off the eye and let cool to room temp, finishiing the ardening process of that layer.  Repeat 6-7 times.  The pan will be glossy black, and well on it's way to never having food stuck in it again.

You'll notice the fish smell.  What we reconize as the smell of frying fish is simply the same Omega 3 fatty acids cooking that is contained in the flax seed oil.  But believe me, your non fish loving wife will not appreciate the link beween the two.   :biglaugh:  

Dave, I have spent almost a year researching and trying different methods and oils.  I stumbled upon a version of this way and it has worked hands down better than the many others I have tried.  I had my cookware close may times to perfect but he bottom line s the other oils simply were not hard enough and would get scratched or I left cooking oil in one chicken fryer over night and ruined it.

So, it has been all trial and error.  But I am glad the chemistry professor who explained this in detail was right here.  There is a science to it that doesn't have to be discussed here, but the bottom line to seasoning is the right oil, he riight quanity at one time, and the right heat.  I'll check your thread out now.

May the Lord bless each and everyone of you guys with many delicious meals from this season's hunts in your cast iron cookware.

Justin Howell
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
I think this is all good advice.  The built up carbon is the key.  

When I'm first seasoning a pan I do a lot of "burnishing" with a nylon or metal scraper to clean any sticking material.  It fills the pores and smoothes to a near non stick finish over time.  If you do that alone, with a thin coat of oil to store it, it self seasons in no time.  

For the record I have never gone through dedicated seasoning steps.  Just cook, scrape, oil... then repeat

Also I find bacon to stick about the worst of any foods in a new pan.  I think its the sugar in the curing.  It does make for some great carbon though to burnish when done.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Dave, it looks like we both learned a lot of the same things in or search for the perfect cast iron pan.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
I've learned a lot from this thread- and I thought I new everything...
I may try the soap if I ever need too- but on my buddys pan!

Nothing gets a groups attention or sells your woods cred quite like the smell of a fresh baked desert or bread wafting into their noses- they just don't expect it. Also, if you ever want to close the deal with that special gal, this is a great way to help do it.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm going to try this.  Would you suggest sanding the cooking surface smoother as a starting point?  I bought new cast iron when I moved out to college and it just isn't the same as my parents, which my grandparents gave them.  The newer cast Lodge stuff is much rougher to touch both on the outside and inside of the pan and my seasoning is much better than the factory but still leaves something to be desired.  I'd prefer not to start over on buying different cast iron since I have about 12-15 pieces.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the info AWP, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Seein' I didn't know about the flax seed oil, I used the Roger's approach with the Bacon and for other cooking Olive Oil and butter.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I wouldn't bother the Lodge finish.  Durning all my research I constantly come across where guys sanded theirs smooth and it ended up cracking.  If you get it seasoned right you will never be able to tell a difference in performance.  Many people even salt their smooth skillets before they crack an egg to get air under it so things do not stick.  It mimicks the lodge surface that many believe creates a beter non stick surface.  Once again not needed it seasoned properly.  But, some food for thought, the flax seed oil dries much harder and will smooth the surface dramatically versus other oils and lard.

It is just preference I guess but I like my Lodge as well as any.  It is a great skillet.  God Bless

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »
Let me know what you think Jason.  Also, there are two separate stove top seasonings in that link.  The square pan in the beginning and I also do a lid near the end.  On the lid I kept track of the time to give an idea of how fast this method is.  I do realize that the stove top method may not get all parts equally due temperature differences but it's a great way to get an item usable quickly.  I sometimes do the stove top method, use the item immediately then when done and it's wiped down again, stick it in the oven to even things up.  I have found that even without doing the oven method, things even up on their own in time with just stove top use.

As for the Lodge finish, I'm one of the guys who prefer to sand it smooth.  Never heard of one cracking but don't generally deal with lodge as I find it much cheaper to buy pieces of older cast iron at yard sales and such.  I don't know if the actual quality of the cast iron (as a metal) in the new stuff is any different than the old stuff but the old pieces I have all tend to be thinner, smoother and (seem) denser than the new stuff I have.  The main reason I prefer to sand the new stuff is that I don't like a heavy buildup of seasoning and if kept thin, the texture is still there.  Maybe after years of use it will smooth in with carbon build up but I like to get it somewhat smooth right away.  As said above, mostly personal preference.

p.s.  Enjoyed your input so far.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Great info.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
Another THANK YOU for the info!!!

My wife has alot of good, old, cast iron cookware I want to put to use...

We just recently went from a glass top electric stove to a good gas stove...glass top and iron don`t mix...so now I have no excuse not to use the iron.

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »
Great read, appreciate the info.  I'll be doing that to all of mine soon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©