3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cooking wih cast iron in deer camp  (Read 822 times)

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cooking wih cast iron in deer camp
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Holy Moly Stringstretcher---

That process is amazing, never would have imagined you could make something whicg looks that far gone become something so nice as the "after treatment" results.  I'm gonna start looking for old rusty stuff LOL.  Thanks for the info in your post.

Joe

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
He did good on that one didn't he.  That electrolisis (sp?), does wanders.  I read where some guys do it with a car battery but I am as inclined to try that as I am to build a space shuttle because I will probably oon electricute myself.  If anyone knows how to make one that won't fry the user, post it up.  Gotta be better han listening to my wife holler about all the smoke, not o mention, I don't think an oven would do as well for rusty pieces like the one he restored to "new like".  I just bought a oven that don't look that good.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Email Charlie, I'm sure he'd be happy to share some of his secrets... He's shared pics of some incredible ugly stuff he soaked in his lye bath and then the electrolysis bath and it's amazing!

I've seen pics of his electrolysis bath and it looks like a witches caldron for sure!    :bigsmyl:

Works slicker'n snot on a doorknob!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Ok, so this thread sparked some interest and I did a search. There is a youtube video demonstrating the flax seed oil teqnique on seasoning your cast iron.  Pretty good video i might add.  Also in the remarks section there is a link to the blog where the science behind using flaxseed oil is explained.  I can see and understand the reasoning for this.  

Part two, I went downstairs to get my cast iron skillet just to check on it (haven't used it in a while)  Its gone!!!!!! how does a cast iron skillet disappear?????  I make jalepeno cornbread in it, and I think my sister stole it last thanksgiving!!!! Ill be calling her tomorrow. But the bright side is that I have and excuse to go buy a new skillet and I will be trying this method tomorrow for sure.  

I have a very minimalist approach to most things I do so my typical seasoning is a cleaned new pan,   coat with crisco, bake at 350 for an hour and let cool. Viola its done.  BUT i am going to try this method and see if I like it better or not.  I will say that I have never had a problem before with sticking issues though so I may or may not see a vast improvement but it never hurts to add more tricks to the bag.

Thank you for posting this thread, i love learning new methods.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 04:21:00 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I have one other thing to add in regards to restoration of rusted cast iron.

It's a product called Evapo-Rust that is available in most auto parts stores. I've never used anything like it. Safe, odor free and effortless. Just submerge the rusty Item and walk away. The directions say for 30 minutes or longer for stubborn rust. I usually just leave most things overnight. I started using it to restore reloading equipment and was very impressed. I even did a product review on another forum.

Not sure if I should post a link to it or not since it is not an archery site but here it is. Mods, feel free to delete if its out of line. I'm hoping it's okay.  I've used it on cast iron with great results.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/hunting-gear-shooting-gear-accessories/74858-evapo-rust-review-dave-bulla.html
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
At a rendezvous in January, a lady suggested using bees wax to protect the cast iron. She said to season and form the layer of carbon as we are all used to doing. But when she cleans up her pots, she melts a little bit of wax and coats the surface, She says it protects very well and does not get rancid like some of the oils do. When used the wax, which is edible, melts away and food is never given a bad taste due to old oil.

Her cookware really looked good. Has anybody else tried this? I am thinking about it but would like to know if anybody else has done this and what the results were.
Sam

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
This picture was taken at deer camp. Every year we have "squirrel night" as one of our evening meals. There's five fox squirrels in this large pan. After they're browned the lid is put on the pan and they are slowly cooked until tender. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy made from the pan drippins, it's a meal fit for a King.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Hey Ron, looks like a deer stepped in your taters!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
I use an assortment of cast iron pans and pots when I cook. Out doors or indoors.  :)  
The best are the Griswalds as they have a nice finish and the flat bottoms allow me to use them on my glass top stove. (Just DON'T drop one..  :eek:  )

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Very nice, I keep my seasoned at all times as it get used several times a week.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I have cooked with Cast Iron pans for about 20 years now. That is all I use when I cook. I have found that if you give them a yearly seasoning of oil they stay fairly stick resistant through the year. I oil them and bake them in the oven at 300deg. for 6 hours once a year. I think that the key to keeping Cast Iron in good cooking condition is the cleaning method. Never use Dish Soap! Fill the pan with water - boil and then rinse out. Cast Iron is also healthy to cook food with. No Chemicals or Chipping of Teflon type products and actually adds a little bit of Iron to body. A much needed Mineral.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Butterfly'd back straps over the campfire. You can't do that with a Teflon pan...   :campfire:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Ron, your making me hungry now.

Offline slim_grim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks for the write up. My pan's been kinda sticky.
Live and let live.

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
Rons spread looks great, maybe add a few of these. Always great in a good seasoned oven.

Always have to watch out for the little varmits sneaking in to grab the goodies though.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »
Excellent post.  I've always had trouble getting a consistent and long lasting nonstick surface.  I'll have to give the thin flax seed oil cure a try.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up!

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2014, 04:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by stringstretcher:
I do a lot of reconditioning cast iron, so don't think because an old piece of cast iron look unusable, you just might be suprised.
Before electrolysis

And after.  It now has to heat treated seasonings.

nice results! care to elaborate on the electrolysis process?

i had a camp oven in the same condition. it currently immersed i a 5:1 water/molasses solution. gets rid of all traces of rust. takes a about 6 weeks though. i'll try seasoning it like explained here.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
I am glad this came up.   I have been looking lately into getting some cast iron skillets.   Just don't want to pay a lot of money.   As soon as I come across 1 or 2 , I'll be giving them a good cleaning , and then trying the seasoning with the flax seed oil.   Now I really want to find one.    Thanks for bringing this back around, perfect timing.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Ron, that squirrel looks fantastic!!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
I have some cast iron pans I have picked up here and there over the years and cleaned and seasoned.Never liked them much because of the sticking.One day I cleaned one completely and sanded the inside completely smooth and slick and then seasoned it.WOW!!! It was unbelievable how it turned out.It is really stick free now.I went and bought some more emery cloth and went to work on the rest of them.They all were then seasoned and all turned out stick free.Cast iron will crack but not from smoothing.Quick and uneven heating and cooling is what cracks it just like putting hot glass under cold running water.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©