3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow speed  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow speed
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
I was just wondering what feet per second people were getting at different draw weight/length and arrow weight they were shooting? Recurves? Longbows?

When I get asked that question, I usually respond, "fast enough to kill".  

But none the less, I was wondering.  Thanks

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow speed
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
My 45-50# recurves @ my 26" draw length shooting 415-515 grain arrows range from 158 FPS to 185 FPS.

Offline paul87250

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
My 55# dorado last time I put it through a chrono was clocking 196fps with an arrow weight of 480grn 26%foc at a 27.5" draw.   :archer:
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Light intensity affects chronograph accuracy. My Toelke Super D longbow shooting an 11 to 1 arrow at my 29" draw in a relatively well-lighted indoor range reads 168 f.p.s. The same chronograph in a small, not so well lighted enclosed paper tuning space shows 161 f.p.s. with the same arrow. I suspect if it were moved outside in bright sunlight the reading would be higher than the first reading.
  For information's sake, Blackie Schultz does  bow reviews for Traditional Bowhunter Magazine and with fingers and 9 to 1 arrows at 28"s, I don't recall seeing any bow exceeding the low 190's. Some chronographs may simply be more generous than others for there have been a number of posts here from time to time featuring considerably higher speeds with the same bows than Mr. Schultz obtained.

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
I realize that Jim, and great input on how light affects the chronograph.  I guess I just wasn't going to get that specific, but you are right on!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
There are many things that can effect chronograph readings. Light is the biggest one. The most consistently true readings are done indoors using in infrared light kit that are designed for the pro chronograph.

other things that can cause variable speed readings, or incorrect readings is a shinny field tip, the angle the arrow passes through the chronograph, inconsistent draw lengths, or longer than normal draw lengths, and the release.

A target archer that holds at full draw is going to get much lower readings than a flight shooter or snap shooter will..... every time. That's a fact.

The most accurate measurements to test the bow are taken using a shooting machine after accurately weighing the arrows and using a precise digital scale to measure draw weight to the same draw used on the machine.  

This is where you see a lot of what seem to be really high numbers posted... The bow is marked 50@28" when in fact the bow is really 52.5 pounds @ 28", then it's being over drawn to  28.5" instead of 28". It's quite conman to over draw a bit when testing by hand.

Even using precise digital scales and a shooting machine it can vary from one test to the next, and It can vary a lot from machine testing to shooting with fingers depending on the release.  

With a machine you are testing the bow itself for use in comparing efficiency ratings from one bow to the next. shooting by hand tells you what your hunting weight arrows are doing under realistic conditions.....

I've got long bows I've tested at 237 FPS using light weight shafts.... but it doesn't really matter if you can't use those arrows in your bow without blowing the bow up. 9-10 gpp is the normal range.

02 cents worth....

Offline Capnrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
My appologies fellow archers.

I really had no intentions of getting into such a deep subject.

I was just kinda wanting to know speeds on an average basis.  Everyone kinda has an "idea" of what their shooting.  Just wanted to see and compare is all.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
yes, I've seen many guys who step up to a chrono and give a bit more pull than they usually do in a normal draw. Many variables. Too many to compare to each other.
My hunting setups average around 180-185 for me and my tools. I shoot full length shafts, so I'll differ quite a bit I would think.
David M. Conroy

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
My go-to huntimg bow is a Trad Tech Titan with Winex limbs pulling 56# @ 32". It sends my 500-grain hunting arrows through a chronograph right at 200 fps.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
My Caribow Peregrines (a 1 pce hybrid longbow): at 9GPP 193 FPS, 10 strands string, hand shot @ 28"

My Whippenstick Phoenix (a 3 pce take-down recurve:) at 9 GPP 199 FPS, 12 strands stringh hand shot at 28".
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
On the Hill web page it says that the bows should shoot at least 115 pfs plus the weight of the bow.  i believe that is for 9 grains per pound and 28".  Mine did it at 10 grains per pound at 26" and it was a bit slower than my other longbows.  I don't think the deer noticed any difference at all.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I have only chrono'd one bow of mine and only did it one time.  I shoot 628gr arrow, the bow is 67#@28" and i draw just a tic over 28".  The Robertson Mystikal longbow shot 180fps on the money.  That was about 10 shots in a row.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline archeryx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Capnrock:
My appologies fellow archers.

I really had no intentions of getting into such a deep subject.

I was just kinda wanting to know speeds on an average basis.  Everyone kinda has an "idea" of what their shooting.  Just wanted to see and compare is all.
Just be glad you didn't post this on one of the 'other' (at least one in particular) trad sites   :biglaugh:

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I generally shoot around 170 fps with my different set ups.  I will add weight to an arrow to lower my speed just to keep all my bows shooting the same speed.   It makes it easier to switch between bows...
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
My stats are in my signature below.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Speed doesn't kill, well placed *sharp* arrows do.    :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
My Predator shoots a 425 gr. arrow at 198fps with my 32" draw, 52 lbs.  Upside to a long draw is speed... downside is noise and the fact that it's hard to find 33" arrows!  I like a little clearance between my fingers and the broadhead!

Not sure what my Widows are shooting as I have never chrony'd them, but they appear to be close to the above performance.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
No clue...Fast enough to deadify any animal in north america.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Blackwidow CHX 53@28 517gr @ my 26.5 draw 177fps.        Widow

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Big Jim Thunderchild 63#my30" with a 10,0gpp arrow
= 179 fps average

Bob Lee Signature TD LB 58#@my30" with a 10,3 gpp arrow
= 186 fps average

Whisperstick Vodoostick 60#@my30" with a 10,1gpp arrow
= 194 fps

(all with 12 strand FF/Xcel string, fleece silencers and 4x4" fletch on the arrows)
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©