3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow speed  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow speed
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
I've never tried it, but I would kinda like to see how fast my bow is shooting. I'm not gonna argue, makes me curious myself!

Jason

Offline AdAstraAiroh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
My results with long bamboo-cored Dryad ACS-RC limbs on a 25" Best Moon riser are:

46 pounds @ 30" Using 8.2 gpp arrows at 30 inch draw, average 204 fps, and with 7.3 gpp arrows average 211 fps, both finger released.

Mark

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
At one Sioux Falls shoot there was a shooting machine set up.  The wheelie boys were convinced it was reading way low. I had a friend fire my Schulz through it with about 8.5gpp cedars. His draw was about a half inch longer than mine. Then the wheelie boys said that for some reason it read my cedars too fast.  Then a guy with a recurve from a kit that he got from Utah, tried it and got more speed than my Schulz.  Then they were absolutely certain that the chrono was way off.  Every time I have seen a chrono set up at a shoot about half of the shooters swear that they are reading wrong.  Most of the time bows are close enough that just going with one that you like the most is the best bow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
au contraire, sir, imho  to the question "arrow speed - what feet per second people were getting at different draw weight/length and arrow weight they were shooting? Recurves? Longbows?", a reply of "it doesn't matter" is both a fair and apropos, and says that arrow speed, nor trad bow type,   is not of the greater concern for what this forum is about - trad bowhunting  . ......""

au contraire, sir Rob, imho   i think it matters a lot, and i'm not alone...

Arrow speed is what makes an arrow shoot a flat trajectory and be more accurate on slightly misjudged yardage.

A flat shooting bow can shoot through tighter openings and above or below branches much easier too.

It also allows heavier arrows to be used with more power and less draw weight.

I think It is of great concern to many archers here, and around the country to have a flat shooting, hard hitting bow and fits in well with what this forum is all about - trad bowhunting.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »
"I think It is of great concern to many archers here, and around the country to have a flat shooting, hard hitting bow and fits in well with what this forum is all about - trad bowhunting."

Quoted for truth.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 03:02:00 AM »
I think most of my hunting bows are right around 180 fps, give or take.  That's what my eye is accustomed to seeing.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by looper:
I think most of my hunting bows are right around 180 fps, give or take.  That's what my eye is accustomed to seeing.
You just hit on a very good point here.... What "your eye is accustomed to seeing" is trajectory.

When all things are the same and you are shooting the same yardage from 15-18 yards with an open shooting lane. I'd have to agree that flat trajectory isn't as critical.  But the difference from 18-25 yards can make a huge difference in shot placement with heavy arrows that have a lot of arch to them.

Once you get your hands on a flat shooting bow the difference between 15- 25 yards is very small, and it will spoil you rotten.....

btw... 180 is not a bad speed for hunting weight shafts at all IMO. but i prefer 190's myself.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
"I was just wondering what feet per second people were getting at different draw weight/length and arrow weight they were shooting? Recurves? Longbows?"

I haven't chrony'd a bow in years, but the last time I did I was averaging 187 fps with my longbow.  Drawing 30.5", arrows weighing approximately 9.5 grains per pound, 14 strand Dynaflight '97 string, shooting with a glove.  I'd think my release has improved since then, so I'm probably getting a few more fps, but I don't care enough to get my chrony out and check.

I've acquired a few selfbows since then--two given to my by friends, one I made myself with a lot of adult supervision.  They are all noticeably slower than my laminated bows, but I've shot some of my best 3-D scores with them.  

At one tournament (the TN Classic) I shot in the "Iron Man" (3 classes) plus the "Selfbow Challenge" (shoot the bow you made that weekend).  Shot the same course 4 times, my best score (by far) was with the slowest bow (the one I helped make).  Go figure.

Speed makes for an interesting discussion, and the promise of "faster" is big selling point with a lot of products, but does it really matter that much?  

Well, as we've all heard or said at one time or another...if speed was the #1 priority, why in the world are we shooting traditional bows?

**EDIT**  I just recalled a statement attributed to one of the Wensel brothers that sums it up nicely.  "That deer don't care how fast your arrow is going when it flies over his back!"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I just read all this because I chrono'd a couple bows for the first time last weekend.  I was surprised by the results.  Not plesantly.  I tested a BigJim TC (55@28") and a Raptor Signature (56@28).  I draw to 29.5".  I tried 3 arrows, 525 grains, 615 grains, and 650 grains.  The TC was consistantly 5 fps slower than the Raptor and the fastest readout was 170 fps with the 525 grain arrow. My go-to hunting arrows (615 grns) came in at 160-165. I have four observations from this experience:

1) these two bows are for all I can tell so close is performance that they might as well be the same bow.

2) when all the old timers tell you not to chrono, that the fps doesn't matter if the bow "seems" fast to you, you should listen.  If you don't, you're likely to be disappointed.  I didn't expect 200 fps, but a nice 180 would have been cool.

3) If people have a tendancy to overdraw when using a chrono, than my arrows are going even slower.

4) TradGangers are great people, but may have a tendancy to inflate their speed numbers.  Seriously, how do others claim to get 20+ fps more out of esentially the same set up?  Maybe the chronos aren't calibrated?  Who knows, but either way the data is suspect.

In conclusion, if you've never chrono'd your bow and you aren't BUILDING bows, DON'T DO IT!  These two bows with these arrows are quick enough to do the job and that's really all that matters.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Your conclusion is right! And I never believe chrono results unless I can see the measurement with my own eyes.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
There really is lots to the chrono/speed thing....lots of hassle too.......and I'd venture to say,  there aren't many bows out there that aren't fast enough to do what they are meant to do   :thumbsup:

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
I couldnt even tell you within 50fps of what mine will shoot....but i can tell you it blows through deer, and thats all that matters too me!!!

:readit:    :goldtooth:
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
My arrows fly significantly faster when they are not shot through a chronograph.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »
my tom deputy hybrid shoots 10 gr per lb at 180 i hunt w 9 gr perlb . bow pulls 49 lbs at my drawlength . i think its plenty of wt for anything in no america . its a flat shooting bow and that makes instinctive aiming easier for me.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
rt on kirk could not be said any better .
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I have a sage 50#@28 with a draw of 31.5 and a axis arrow weighing 595 it shots 177. It is about 62# at 31.5
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
I tune all of my setups to shoot 175-180 fps, recurve or longbow, that's what my eye seems to like, or I am used to it. I can grab any bow off my rack and know the trajectory.

The advantage of a more efficient bow is I can shoot a lower poundage or higher gpp and get the same speed. But speed is nothing without and smooth and stable shooting bow.

"how do others claim to get 20+ fps more out of esentially the same set up?"
I think the same model bows that appear identical in poundage, length and brace from the same bowyer will preform differently, some are faster than others. Natural materials have variances. Also quality of release, tune and consistent draw length play a part, as well as variances from chrono to chrono. Ego probably plays a part also.

Sorry for the rant, to much caffeine, the tea was very strong.    :D
shoot straight shoot often

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I have chrono'ed one.  A 48 pound maddog Prarie Predator longbow.  167 fps with a 420 grain arrow at 26 inches, dacron string.

I have plugged a couple new ones lately into a calculator.  Nothing specific or written in stone.  The numbers are higher than I expect to be true because they are spouting out well over 200 fps.

I can tell you hands down the fastest bow I own is a 60 pound KH.  They are great bows, but the Rick Barbee string brought it alive.  I would love to have a chrono to see what this one is doing.  It's all about the string fellas.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I went and shot at an indoor range the other day.  They had a chrono set up.  My bow shot in the low 150's.  it was kind of a let down as I thought it shot faster than that.  My bow is a HHA longbow, about 45 lbs at my draw length shooting 575grarrows which comes out to 12.8gr/lb.  HHA says 115fps + the draw weight of the bow (9gr/lb) so that would be 160fps.  So I guess since my arrows are quite a bit heavier my bow is performing better than expected.  Who knows though.  I have never put my bow on a scale, the chrono looked pretty beat up, etc.  I have my own Chrony and need to set it up and see how it compares.

Offline 3undr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
lol i like these post cause all the fellow wanted to know was what kind of speed folks were getting out of their bows and all of the sudden speed doesn't matter. well i have 2 john jordan stalkers one at 51# and one at 52#  i don't know how fast they are but both shoot the same for me. Now the statement that speed doesn't matter is an opinion,you see we have laminated limbs,and foam core limbs,laminated foam core carbon limbs, FAST flight strings,skinny Fast flight strings. what do you think all the above was for?  SPEED  lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©