3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's shoot'n Easton FMJ and how are they working out?  (Read 350 times)

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's shoot'n Easton FMJ and how are they working out?
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Just what it says and if your using 100 gr. brass incerts how do you like them.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Pigsooie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's shoot'n Easton FMJ and how are they working out?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
I shoot them with a 75gr. brass insert and a standard aluminum insert in front of that coupled with 125gr tip. I'm Shooting them out of a 46# long bow and they fly with a flat trajectory and get good penetration.
* Multiple Holzrichter customs *
* Fred Herman Terminator *
* Centaur *
* Toekle Classic Whip HS *
* Shrew Classic Hunter *
* Java Man Elkheart & Inferno *

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Best arrow made.  I just use the std aluminum insert in everything.  Prefer to use point weight for tuning, nit insert weight.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
Steve O I agree they are "the best made"  I've shot them for years out of my wheel bows, and they have withstood some real punishment.  I to usualy use point weight to tune but I want to shoot a 125 head and so a 100 gr insert seems th logical way to go.  How much does the extra insert length stiffen the arrow as far as tunning goes?

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 04:05:00 AM »
Adding point weight weakens the shaft while adding tail weight stiffens the shaft. I shot FMJ cuz the are tough and heavy overall. I use a standard insert but on a 400 shaft, I use a 125 grain point.. 340 shaft a 145 gr point and a 300 shaft I use a 175 grain point
bryce olson

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gooserbat:
How much does the extra insert length stiffen the arrow as far as tunning goes?
As already stated, extra weight up front weakens the shaft.

How much?  All I could do is guess.  Depends on the bow and its center shot.  Depends on the length of the arrow.  Depends on where the weight is placed.

That is why I like to add the weight at the furthest point possible, with the head.  I also run full length shafts no matter the size because I draw right around 30".

With my diddling, I'd say you move a quarter to a half a size in spine with an extra 125 g on a full length shaft.  Saying you take a 400 spine to  a 440 spine arrow.

You just have to experiment.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:19:00 AM »
That's all I shoot .  400 spine full length with 75 gr brass insert and 125 grain point . Shooting them out of my Hoyt buffalo 55# recurve.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
Been shooting them 4 years.One of the best hunting shafts out there.I'm currently shooting a BW PSA 2 58#@ 28 w/FMJ .400's 100 grain brass insert and a 125 grain Stinger on the business end.Deadly hard hitting combo.

This years bull.53 yds hard quartering shot arrow entered in front of hip and hit opposite front leg bone.

last years bull 30 yard shot slight quartering shot both lungs and a pass thru.

Jeff Couture

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Hmmm...where are you guys buying these? I shoot Axis 500's now, I'm betting these are a bit heavier per inch?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
They are deffinately GREAT arrows......But....I don't think they are near as tough as the normal Axis shafts.  I broke multiple FMJ's on animals and can honestly say I never broke a single Axis Nano.  Even had deer fall on them and just rolled them over, pulled em out, and stuck back in quiver.  My buck 2 years ago snapped the FMJ before it had entered 6" into his chest.
I sold mine after breaking 3.
Just my $.03
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I use the FMJ Dangerous Game shafts at 17.4gpi they are outstanding if looking for heavy arrow. With 300gr up front they fly perfectly out of my 82# Shawnee.
hunt it

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Cooch your set up is close to mine (60" BW PSA 56@ 30)  I'm thinking a 340 with 100 grai insert and 125 stingers.  If the shaft length turns out around 31" it should weigh 590+.

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
Gooserbat I'm pulling 29.5 I found the 340 to stiff  the 400 flies like a dart.YMMV but I would lean towards the 400's.For me I,ve found that if I go 1 size down from what the chart say's I get great arrow flight.Maybe it's me or carbon tends to have a very stiff quality to it.

I do externally foot all of my broadhead arrows that has eliminated the mushrooming affect on hard impacts.Chipmunks on stone walls are rough on arrows I don't care what brand or make they are.
Jeff Couture

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »
I have used them for a couple of years now and really like them. Small diameter with good weight. They fly great out of all my bows. I also like the looks of them.

Offline proprod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Anyone have a good suggestion for removing the standard inserts on the FMJ's so a heavier one can be put in?
Hoyt Buffalo 45# 62 inch

Offline Mitch H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by proprod:
Anyone have a good suggestion for removing the standard inserts on the FMJ's so a heavier one can be put in?
Removing an insert from any arrow with carbon can be tricky.

I screw in the longest field point I can find, then slowly heat up the field point with a butane torch, being careful to keep the flame away from the arrow itself. I try to twist the field point using pliers regularly until it spins, then just pull the point/insert out and cool the shaft in water.

Do a careful inspection after the shaft is cool to make sure the carbon has not melted.

You will likely ruin at least one arrow early on, but once you get a feel for it you can usually remove the inserts successfully.
Gerhart recurve
1960 Bear Grizzly
 Wes Wallace Mentor
Dave Miller "Old Mahoning" Hybrid Longbow

People that are not willing to stand up for what is right, deserve no protection from those that will!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 05:02:00 AM »
One of things I like about the hit inserts is that they work fine with hot melt...then you can almost treat a FMJ is you would aluminium..just not quite  as much heat
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
If the inserts are glued in with the "Super Glue" adhesives I can usually get them out with a drill bit.  Remove the nocks.  Than find the longest and heaviest drill bit or piece of steel rod that will fit inside of the shaft.  I then hold the shaft back by the fletching and then give it a quick snap downward so that the drill bit slides forward in the shaft, striking the back end of the insert.  Repeat several times until the glue breaks loose.  Do this over a blanket or similar so that when it comes flying out, it doesn't bounce across the floor and get lost.
Once removed, never use that glue again.  Buy a stick of the low temp Ferr-l-tite.  It is a blue stick.  It melts at a temp low enough to prevent damage to the carbon shaft portion of the arrow.   To remove you simply heat the tip slowly and allow the heat to flow into the insert and it will loosen the Ferr-l-tite.
If the inserts are glued in with the "Super Glue" adhesives I can usually get them out with a drill bit.  Remove the nocks.  Than find the longest and heaviest drill bit or piece of steel rod that will fit inside of the shaft.  I then hold the shaft back by the fletching and then give it a quick snap downward so that the drill bit slides forward in the shaft, striking the back end of the insert.  Repeat several times until the glue breaks loose.  Do this over a blanket or similar so that when it comes flying out, it doesn't bounce across the floor and get lost.
Once removed, never use that glue again.  Buy a stick of the low temp Ferr-l-tite.  It is a blue stick.  It melts at a temp low enough to prevent damage to the carbon shaft portion of the arrow.   To remove you simply heat the tip slowly and allow the heat to flow into the insert and it will loosen the Ferr-l-tite.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
What are you all using as extra weight.  Are you putting that behind HIT inserts or using basic inserts.
T ZZZZ

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Gold tip is now making a 24 grain insert that will fit, to replace the HIT.  This insert is like a regular insert, not a HIT.  FMJ's shoot great.  I have to say one of the best arrows Easton has ever made.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©