3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's shoot'n Easton FMJ and how are they working out?  (Read 349 times)

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's shoot'n Easton FMJ and how are they working out?
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
I have a custom 53# reflex/deflex long bow. I hunt using the FMJ's.  I use the 500 spine FMJ with the full HIT insert (don't cut the insert down) and a 125 gr. tip. The 500's have a 9.1 gr. per inch shaft weight. My total arrow weight, with insert, and head is about 480 gr. I use 4" feathers.

Now a weird observation. I used 4" parabolic feathers for years. Last year I had some new arrows made up for me. The person accidentally put on 4" shield feathers. I thought, what the heck and tried them. The arrows fly much better with the shields. Maybe it's just me or my bow, but it was a considerable difference in accuracy and a better flight path, especially past 20 yrds.
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline proprod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 01:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the tips on removing the inserts.
Hoyt Buffalo 45# 62 inch

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 02:09:00 AM »
There is a bit of confusion around the HIT inserts at times...the standard aluminum ones weigh 16 grains...then there are the break-off brass ones that can be either 50 or 75 grains I think...I was going to try the brass ones until I realized that the standard ones do everything I want just fine...and they are a lot less expensive...shot some 3D this weekend with a guy using Easton Injexions...fine for a guy with a short draw...not something that appeals to me at 31 inch length...just like a long knitting needle...gonna at least wait until VPA makes a broadhead that will fit them before trying some

DDave

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
proprod....if the inserts have been installed properly(epoxy), the swinging drill bit method will not work.  I have successfully removed the aluminum inserts by using a drill bit slightly smaller than the insert and carefully drilling them out.  I would be concerened using a hot melt glue. While I love hot melt for carbons with standard inserts, when using the HIT system the insert is taking the brunt of the impact and does not have the lip to transfer the load into the shaft.  On a heavy impact I would be concerned the hot melt would not hold and the insert will push into the shaft and shatter the front end of the arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©