3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Tension on the String" - New Book!  (Read 940 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
"Tension on the String" - New Book!
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
While we are ALL anxiously awaiting Charlie's Epic project (and not to hi-jack any of his thunder)...I thought I'd tease you with one of my own.   Go ahead...ASK!

ps...Charlie, take your time man.  This stuff is not as easy as it looks.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Tension on the String" - New Book!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Can't wait!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Should I just look up all your old threads and save the $$$ for new arrows?
Seriously, that's great Mark!
When was your tome released?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
OK, I'll ask, when can we expect to see this on the shelves....???   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:      Looking forward to it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Where can we find it?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
It is currently available on-line.   Check out the thread in the Sponsor Classifieds for ordering info.  

Here's a few quick "early" reviews.....

Tension on the String is a gift to all of us from a very seasoned outdoorsman and bowhunter, Mark Baker. His trophies are not measured in inches, but in the memories, adventures, equipment, and family experiences of the hunt.  In this era of “quick fixes,” it was refreshing to learn that Mark’s best seasons were those drawn out ones that allowed him to fill the freezer with precious wild meat on the last day. It was inspiring to learn that nearly everything this hunter required was right there in the forests, mountains and plains of Montana. His family and livelihood are all connected to a simple way of life where passion for the hunt and searching for that secret paradise in wild places is the ultimate reward.
     Getting very close to unsuspecting game is Mark’s goal, so using primitive weapons shaped by his own hands are not a hindrance at all, they are a natural ally emphasizing practiced skills are more important than technology. Making a bow may be a burden or a necessity to some, but for others like Mark, it’s therapy to the mind and revival to the soul. A fallen tree may be dead, but to those of vision, the beauty and power of the tree itself can be brought to life, braced by the tension of a string. Mark is one of those special guys that can breathe life into death, and hand it down to the next generation.
      I very much enjoyed this book, and Mark’s words were like music drawing me close, holding me until I heard the sounds of the birds that were with him as he scanned the high-mountain basin waiting for the bull elk to chime in.

- Mike Mitten,  Beach Park, Illinois
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
Here's another....

…. ten yards out, he (bull moose) veered to my left a bit, and as he reached the clear on the bank, he stopped, a mere five yards away. I was standing still, arrow knocked, with no cover but the small sapling, thinking that when he stepped out, I would put it to him, and focused on the spot I wanted to hit. My peripheral vision saw the bull look up the river away from me, then turn and look downriver, right over me, never seeing me!  ….to give you an idea just how big these critters are, I am 6’2” tall, 220 pounds, standing in the clear only 5 yards away, and he was looking over me!

Using a simple wooden stick, held bent with a taut string, to cast a metal or stone tipped arrow, the author has pursued, and taken, many of the smartest and largest animals in North America.  Though at times the clothing and camping equipment is modernized, the weapons used by the author is a throwback to bowhunting as done by our ancestors for tens of thousands of years.   One is taken back to the essence of Pope, Young, Compton, and the Thompson Brothers, when they roamed the wilds with selfbows in hand hunting various critters.  With the wildest country in the lower 48 states outside side his door he recounts his pursuit of numerous critters on equal footing, matching his wits with theirs, in their backyard.  
This book has its share of thrilling moments.  However, if you are into the chest pounding, jumping up and down, self-centered egotism displayed by many of the current genre in modern bowhunting, it will not be found here; that type of pretentious behavior is left out.
Permeating the book is the theme that why and how you hunt, conduct yourself while in the field, and act during and after taking an animal, is more important than killing animals.  In a laidback and pleasant writing style he presents his views, beliefs, and ethics, regarding hunting, family, and society.  It is more akin to having a discussion around the campfire, no pretense or sugar coating, just how he sees it and feels in an honest and straightforward manner.  
The book is a good read and I highly recommend it for everybody.

Mark, …. You Done Good, Real Good!

-Walt Francis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
And another....

In "Tension on the String", accomplished bowhunter, Mark Baker, shares a lifetime of traditional bowhunting experiences and his personal journey into timeless, classical bowhunting.  Written in an easy style, this book is a nice mixture of philosophical thoughts and meat-on-the-table success stories.
   Self imposed limits on archery equipment fuels Mark’s passion for ethical hunts conducted in a way that can be proudly passed on to the next generation of hunters.  Creating his own, hand crafted gear adds to his sense of accomplishment.  
   Mark Baker pursues a discipline that makes bowhunting ever more enjoyable and success ever more satisfying.

-Darryl Quidort

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Here is the quickest way to get the book in your hands.  Order directly from my publisher at

http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/

It is available in a hardcover, a softcover, and an e-book format.  

I will very soon have a webpage up where you guys that want a personalized copy, can order a book directly from me...the only caveat being that it will take a couple weeks to get it back to you.   If you are not in a hurry, or looking for a special gift (Christmas is coming!) that will be you option for that.  

I will include a free "Feathers thru the Wind" CD to all personalized orders before Christmas.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Couldn't find it via the link Mark.

p.s.  Sent you a pm.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:00 PM »
I just tried the link.  It works.  Type "Tension on the String" (minus the quotation marks) in the search at the top...and clik on "search".   Both hardcover and softcover versions will appear then.  Click on the pic, and it will get you there!  

Folks are already asking about personalized books....I should have that link available very soon...couple days at most.  I have to make sure everything is working.    Thanks all....

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
Okay Mark, I got it to work.  

The first time I used your name, not the title then it brought the search blocks up again and I added the title and still had you name and it still didn't come up.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Hey Mark, where can we get an e-book copy?  I found your hard and soft covers on that website, but don't see an ebook.
Thanks!
Brad

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigBucksnTrucks:
Hey Mark, where can we get an e-book copy?  I found your hard and soft covers on that website, but don't see an ebook.
Thanks!
Brad
+1
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
You have been holding out on us man!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Glad I checked in today, have already downloaded the e-version.  Will also be ordering a Hardcover too!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
The book looks a lot more stable than the old Baker Climbing treestands! Can't wait to read it, Mark. Thanks.
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Yeah...I saw that Amazon had the e-books.  I complained to Authorhouse about it...they said their site lags a little.  I don't get it, since they are the main place everybody else - even me - has to buy from!  

Let me know what you think, guys!

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:00 PM »
Just bought it for my Kindle.  I'll start reading it tonight- can't wait.

Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©