3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Tension on the String" - New Book!  (Read 941 times)

Online Dennis Allman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Tension on the String" - New Book!
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
up for Mark

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Thanks again all.  

I just got another review in from Bryce Lambley.

Here it is....

When I learned Mark Baker was assembling his first book, I was happy. I have on several occasions read a magazine article, especially enjoyed it, and then looked back to notice that Baker was the author. I also had the good fortune to meet him while in Montana on a speaking engagement. A compilation of his works would have to be good.

And I was not disappointed. Tension on the String delivers.

Already adept at audibly painting a poetic and melodic picture with his music, the artisan Baker here shifts his canvas to the written word and the result is equally satisfying. In fact, I frequently found myself a hair jealous and thinking, “Man, I wish I’d written that.”

While being a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist, he has the skill of sharing his observations in such a realistic way that anyone who loves wild places can relate, regardless of whether they’re carrying a primitive stickbow or a modern rifle. Woven into those observations are ideals that the Big Sky archer would like to convince the rest of the world in following. For instance:

“Persistence always pays. Most of the time, simply with the satisfaction of a hunt well conducted, of one’s strict adherence to the challenge….The experience has given me the resolve to stay the course more often, the patience to accept that unfilled tag, not as a reminder of failure, but as a token of commitment to myself. After all, there is more to bowhunting than antlered results. The journey, and our conduct in it, is what is important.”

Wow. Isn’t that the truth? And wouldn’t all the outdoor sports be better off if we held that view? The devoted hunter in each of us will be able to relate to Baker’s journey. How he involves family. How he sometimes has to pick between the wonderful pallet of species Montana offers to pursue. How his last minute successes with deer are especially memorable after so much effort throughout the fall and so many close calls. How he looks for related “projects” (usually a selfbow in his case) to get him through the Montana winters. And how some of those rare events seem to occur mostly for those who go afield enough so that the law of averages rewards them.

This latter episode was exemplified by Baker’s relating a veritable elk stampede, describing it as one of those “rare things we who are out a lot, eventually, hopefully experience.”

As a similarly dedicated bowhunter, I found myself relating to each of his tales, ranging from the whitetails accessible to most of us, to the elk that I have pursued only through the writings of others.As a traditional bowhunter who has not yet made his own equipment, reading Baker’s descriptions of that pursuit has planted the seeds in my own psyche. Those who have made their own selfbows will surely nod their heads, acknowledging the very personal layer of satisfaction that comes from crafting one’s own equipment.

There is little doubt that bowhunters of any ilk will identify with the hunting tales, and those toting stickbows will instantly relate to Baker’s keen descriptions of both what is obviously going on in terms of the animals and our hunt, as well as what's rattling around in our brains. The "thinking" bowhunter will gain much the insight and stories shared in Tension on the String, and I highly recommend it.

-Bryce Lambley

I've shipped all the order in thus far...but I'm already out of hardbacks...will have some in very shortly.   Thanks so much you guys!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
awesome! Just saw this thread. Couldn't get the e book from your publisher but got it from Kindle. Will read it starting next Monday when, I head back to Montana for the next round!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Got my hard cover in the mail today. Thanks!  Am about half way through the e-version.  Great book!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Great book, Mark!  You describe the way bowhunting should be...and can be, if we want it to be.  Thanks for a good read.

Darryl

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
I'll have to check that one out, need some new reading material.   ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Mark, Your post-mark was 10-24 and I received the book in perfect condition 0n 10-26 in Illinois. So the mail is working fine. Mike

Offline rooster77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Just ordered one today!
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us.  "Lonesome Dove"

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
Just ordered my copy.Looking forward to reading it.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Thought I would bump this back up to the top - just to make sure all who might be interested in a great book - get a chance to order one.  Or maybe drop a hint to the spouse that this would make a great Christmas gift . . .
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Just got my signed hard copy in the mail along with a little extra surprise. Nice looking book that will be perfect to read while next to the fireplace. Thanks Mark.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Darryl Quidort

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Just read through my book again.  If you are contemplating going a little more primitive with your bowhunting...read this book.  You'll like it.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I am trying to pace myself with this book as I usualy read everything in one sitting and am left wanting more.
This is great stuff and some of the thoughts Mark has put into words could have come right outta my own head.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys...I appreciate the great comments.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
I thought I'd bring this back up for those wanting signed copies before Christmas....timing is everything in "ordering" as it is in hunting rutting whitetails!

I have a small shipment of hardcovers (I sold all the previous ones) arriving any day...and still have some softcovers available for signing for those who want them for gifts, etc.  

After these are gone (and I don't have too many at this time) I will have to re-order, and I'm quickly running against a deadline for orders to get turned around by Christmas.  That's what my publisher tells me.  This is for signed copies from me, only...

Of course you can still buy copies from Authorhouse bookstore (see the link) or from places like Amazon, etc.   If you have any questions, please ask.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
Done   :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
An evening on the couch or in a recliner with some Feathers Through The Wind playing and reading this book, equals a good combo!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
Let me add kudos to you Mark.  Fun read...very entertaining.  I really loved the Fabulous Baker Boys chapter.  Very fun and made me jealous as I have two boys that so far don't hunt.

One thing made me laugh.  I was reading it while sitting on one of my dawn to dusk - Nov. rut hunts and Mark talks about how he cannot read on stand...made me laugh.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
I want to keep this up top for a bit...for the Christmas gift crowd.   Please read the earlier post I made today folks.

Thanks for the great feedback on the book guys!  It's nice to see the responses from your peers...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©