3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i know i said i dont do the scent control, but ive hatched a devious scheme..  (Read 138 times)

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
at least for me devious.  wayyy more so than usual.

ok so this buck has been giving me fits.  hes a huge whitetail by my standards, im guessing gross score of 135 to 140.  ive been toying with him for a couple weeks now, even got close the other day. we (my dad and a buddy hunt south dakota with me, its just over the border from our town) have a stand set on water, but one of the guys set it in  such a spot that the deer are coming in at eye level.  i sat that stand one day last week, and my buck came in to 10 yards, but he could see the stand and knew something was out of place. stared for a while and walked away.  no opportunity for a shot. came back for another look and this time walked away for good.  if you a compound shooter, ya can draw when hes in the trees checking out the water holea area but of course i dont have that going for me, so....  

lesson learned over 3 years of hunting with these guys, set your own stands. theyre great guys but have no idea how to hunt for a tradtional bow.  anyway, i took a stand in the same area and set up in a better spot....

so, this stand is near water, but in more of a staging area.  ill try to get some pics of all this next few times out.  anyway, it snowed a skiff a couple days ago, but last night was the first chance i got to hunt the stand.  no tracks in the snow, but it was only a day old.  it was 20 degrees and breezy, so i decided to go for a scouting walk around while tracks were so visable. its supposed to be 60 degrees here by monday or tuesday so the snow will be long gone.  i did figure out that deer are still all over my little spot. found "his" tracks too.  150 yds or so from my stand there is a funnel theyre going in to.  it has been hammered, but i dont think i can set a stand there because the prevailing wind would be horrible. if i set one there id probably only get to hunt it once in a blue moon if ever.  

so, on to my devious scheme..  i decided that i would go buy some of that doe pee stuff, and do a drag though there on the way to my stand monday (my next day i can hunt) morning.  see the deer arent in there before light, its between feed, and bedding. so, if i walk into the stand this way, and do a drag it should work out, right?  the wind almost everyday blows the same direction vaguely, and it would be perfect for this walk.  the scent control part of this, since im gonna be walking through that area, is i got some of that scent killer spray to spray on my boots while doing this drag.  is that going about it right???  

im new to the whitetail game, but this seems logical.
is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
wow my first post sounds confusing lol.  the deer go from feeding to bedding areas of course, but the water is sort of out of the way.  not a great distance but still. my drag would be from between the feeding and bedding toward the water. kind of hit all 3....

also, dad has a trail cam, and i think he has a pic of this buck.  if i get the card from him ill post it.  its a dandy.
is it September yet??

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Brad,
I have been playing a similar game with a good buck over here in Buffalo. I did the doe pee drag thing this morning, and had all kinds of deer around, but none of them paid a lick of attention to the drag. The big buck didn't show his face this morning, but other, lesser bucks could have cared less. Maybe it's just too early, but things should pick up shortly.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Well Monday is supposed to be warm, actually Monday and Tuesday both. Snow will be gone, so water might be promising again. Think if I do this drag between the funnel and water, bearing toward water, that buck might just come in. He did look to be cruising...
is it September yet??

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
I am not in Wyoming or South Dakota but the deer here are just not ready.  Even the bucks are acting lacadazical.  It will change here in the next week or so as it is always that way the end of October.

It sounds like you go a plan.  I assume you would hunt on the ground if applicable so I won't suggest a ground hide.  It sounds like you got the idea of how to kill him with what the sitation you are facing.  Good luck bro and God BLess
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, once I was having fits just seeing deer one season in Michigan.  I went out and bought the most expensive estrous whatever they had and thoroughly put some on my clothes, boots, and a drag and walked out to my spot.

Im not kidding, 10 minutes after I sat on my chair a forkhorn came in with with a bouquet of flowers and a sly grin and I was able to put one through the wheelhouse with a Bear Grizzly 50# for my first and only venison of the season.

Maybe just coincidence because that trick has not worked since.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©