3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses deer carts to get their kill out?  (Read 536 times)

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
Who uses deer carts to get their kill out?
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:05:00 AM »
Some of the public land spots I've been hunting lately are 1+ mile walks back to the spot. I'd like to get a deer cart to haul my climber in, and possibly a kill out. There are several on the market though. What brand and model do you use? How do you like it? Anything different that you did to make it more user friendly?

Offline huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses deer carts to get their kill out?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
I bought one for $49.00 on sale from Gary @ S.G. Works great ! Most of the ones I've seen are all about the same-either steel or aluminum.(I have the steel model)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
I dont but want one and a sled for snow. I think the folding kind out of aluminum would be great.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:09:00 AM »
I hunt a lot of public land that has long walks. I use a aluminum folding cart. It works for hauling stuff in and out just fine.  I spent a good bit of time getting it to pack up quiet so the trip in would not blow everything out of the county.

Chris

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
I've got a Cabelas Super Mag cart.  It's a real lifesaver if the terrain is appropriate.  Doesn't work well in thick brush, but open areas are fine and if you have a trail...getting a deer out is a piece of cake.  I have the brush guards on the wheels and consider them mandatory, keeps a lot of crap out of the wheels.

Whatever you get make sure the weight is carried as low as possible for stability.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

This is a homemade one, out of black iron gas pipe and a couple of cart wheels. it hinges in half at the axles.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
Got one end of last season--hope to use it soon!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I have used one a few times. Honestly, in hilly country I would just as soon quarter a deer out and haul it out on my back. On flat ground, they work OK, but if it is hilly or marshy, I'll pass.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I used one once in the mountains. Lets just say there is a reason I only used it once.

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
There aren't hills, mountains, marsh, or anything else crazy in my way. Basically just long two track roads that you can't drive on anymore. To get a deer out of there by myself, with a climber and bow or gun, would be a giant pain. There aren't a lot available locally, so I have to rely on reviews to decide which one to go with. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
Ive used mine to haul climbing stands in and deer out. They work good.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
I use them because I am on public and they are a necessity.  I don't know how I would get on out if I did not have a cart..

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Yes, I do.  I bought this on  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DS7DPO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001CM5JIS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0G737YR0M7  9HVZC36ZPP

It's pretty decent.  I used it to haul my daughter's 180 lb. 8-pointer out during the youth season here.  It was a godsend for that for sure.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Too much trouble here in the mountains. I find a Honda trail 90 works better or cuttin up the deer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
I think my plastic sled works better than a wheeled cart. I can't imagine trying to wheel through a swamp with a bunch of blowdowns...my sled scoots under, over, even across creeks like a boat.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
X2 on the Jet Sled. I have used mine when I hunted whiteys back east on leveler ground. Works pretty slick.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
The area I hunt is quite rocky with few trails. The cart is constantly tipping. Pretty hard on the wrists and forearms when that happens. If I were to buy another, I would get one with slanted wheels and nylon straps that would sag and allow the animal to stay centered.

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
i have a large plastic sled(the bottom of an old portable ice shack), and the Cabelas aluminum. I have not had to pull the sled or the cart since I got them. Someone has always volunteered to do it for me, in return I let them use my stuff for their deer.

Offline hunt4life

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Reason I was thinking of a cart was because the sled would be too noisy pulling across grass, rocks, and road. I've used the sleds before, but that was with snow. No snow usually here.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
One summer cabala's had a close out tent. for some reason they had a fully boxed brand new aluminum lightweight game cart on sale for $42.99.  I went ahead and purchased it but I have never used a cart before. The following fall cabala's had that same cart advertised for $129.99. I think it was a good deal, it will haul up to 400 pounds. now that would be a big deer.
that was about three years ago and now I see there 149.95.be sure and look in the bargain   caved  

I would get yourself one it a bareback saver.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©