3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: catquiver field test tomorrow ( updated )  (Read 243 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
catquiver field test tomorrow ( updated )
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Picked up a like new catquiver 2 at a yard sale some time ago for 4 bucks, ive tinkered with it, but tomorrow is the official field test.
Any other catquiver users out there?
Like to hear your pros and cons.
Thanks

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: catquiver field test tomorrow ( updated )
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
I've been using mine for two seasons now.  I really like how it keeps the fletching and broadheads safe. Like the position of the arrows- tucked in nicely directly behind my body, good for moving through the thick stuff.  Mine has just enough room to pack the essentials, and keeps me from bringing the kitchen sink (I can be a gear nut at times).

What I don't like is that mine developed a creeking noise every time I hunch my shoulders or turn this way and that, noise comes from the cotton material rubbing on the plastic..  The fix so far has been to wrap the plastic fletching hood with a swatch of wool material about two and one half inches wide and long enough to wrap around the whole hood.  Then I squeezed the cotton camo material back down over the whole assembly.  This has worked so well so far.

Tom

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
moleman....mine works fine, but I do have to remind myself to reach back for an arrow CAREFULLY.  Also, while the paperwork says it can hold 10 arrows, I don't believe that means 10 broadhead-tipped arrows.  Still thinking about getting a booster pad to allow me to carry some field/blunt/judo tipped arrows in adition to a few broadhead-tipped.

Kingsnake

Offline lefty4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
A Catquiver in conjunction with a solo stalker holding a single arrow on the bow is a pretty effective combination. They protect the arrows, protect you, and arrows can be removed quickly and quietly. I made all kinds of "modifications" on mine, but then I love to tinker and make a better mousetrap.

Doug
I had a really good group going... until I shot the second arrow.

My best bows are the ones someone else didn't want.

"Be careful of something that's just what you want it to be."  Waylon Jennings

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
You will either love it or hate it. I never had to many problems when I used one, I had a I a II and a III. I still have a mini Kat which works well for me....when I use it!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
I always think I might like to try one, but change my mind each time when I think about having to replace drawn and unused arrows. Seems to me you would have to remove the quiver to do so without "stuffing" your feathers back into the hood. Is this the case, or am I off?  :dunno:  

Lefty's idea with the solo stalker sounds good.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline R.Cogburn73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
I only carry 5 arrows so that I CAN arrow back in after taking it out.  I like my catquiver III.  Used it for years, of course essential for hunting in the rain.
Cascade Nighthawk 58@28 56"
Cascade Goldenhawk Magnum 59@28 52"
Zebra Grevy 55@28 69"

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
I have a CQ2 and a CQ4.  I like them both.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
I've got a CQ1, a CQ2, and a CQ3.  The 1 is a bit small and the 3 is too big-I have a tendancy to fill all that empty space.  I prefer the 2. The straps slip over my hang-on stand and carries very easily. I bought a replacement gripper for a bow quiver, cut it in half, and attached it to the bottom portion of the CQ.  I now have a place to carry my judo point, which is shorter than my BH arrows.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
I have a mini cat. If you lose a nock or point that arrow that's a different size will not fit back in the quiver. I build up a few layers of foam in about 1/4 of the broad head hood. It acts like a booster mention above. This let's me carry 3-4 broad head arrows and 1-2 judos. I also carry a set of piggy backers so I can carry an off size arrow should I break an arrow.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I should also mention...

I put a strap on the bottom of both of my catquivers, around where the broadheads or other points reside.  This keeps arrows from falling out if they are a little short.

The strap closure is a magnet, and while it is stiff enough to hold in the arrows, it is extremely easy to pop open without looking, and pull any arrow out.  It also re-attaches with ease, by feel.  To quiet any noise, there is a piece of cloth between where the two magnets touch.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Well guys, todays outing with the catquiver was a success,I waded thru brush, weeds and standing corn, with no issues at all. Upon arrival at my destination i removed it, ( as i do with any quiver) and had everything at hand in the pack.
I did modify it a bit by adding some thicker foam rubber on one side to allow for a game nabber tipped arrow for plinking and small game.
I think im gonna like it just fine!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
I have used the GFA since they came out but prior to that I used a Cat Quiver. I still have it. It worked very well, I liked it quite a bit.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Bought a Cat II and it has just enough pockets to carry what I need without going overboard with "stuff".
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©