3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What the other folks don't know  (Read 631 times)

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
What the other folks don't know
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
Ever notice how many folks that shoot wheel/cam bows seem to have a misguided impression about the effectiveness of traditional equipment.  I guess at one time I might have been that way.  Many of you guys have shot traditional all your lives or for many years, others like myself did a stint with a compound bow.  Whenever I pull a longbow out around compound shooters, I can almost guarantee that at least one will make a comment something like "I could'nt hit a school bus at 10 yards with that thing".  

It occurred to me the other day that many shooters (especially the younger ones) started out with modern equipment and have never shot without sights and wheels/cams.  I blame modern equipment for getting me away from archery and bowhunting.  Somewhere along the line, I got about as good as I was going to get (with a modern setup) and became bored.  Practice became a quick check to make sure nothing on my bow had moved or become loose and I can remember plenty of times I tormented myself with those thoughts while I sat in a treestand.  Sure is nice to be in the woods hunting rather than worrying if my sights got bumped while my bow bounced around in the back of the truck.  

I'm not knocking folks that hunt with modern equipment, but rather I hate (for them) that they are missing out on a much more rewarding experience (IMO) both shooting and hunting.  They're also missing out on one of the best groups of folks anyone could ever want to meet.  How many times have you seen compound shooters swap bows with their buddies in the middle of a shoot?  A few weeks ago, I attended a shoot at JC's house in GA.  The food and new friends made were worth the trip over.  Later in the evening we went back on the range and just shot our bows and each others bows.  I remember one shot in particular at a standing bear.  JC stopped on the trail 20yds before we got to the shooting stake and said, "lets shoot from here".  It was one of those cool looking shots across a hollow from about 40 yards.  We all took a shot, and there was nothing more cool than seeing those arrows rainbow across the hollow and find their mark!  Maybe in the future, more folks will "get in the game".

Offline carphunter100

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What the other folks don't know
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
Nonething better than spending the day with stick shooters. Watching arrows fly. Key word WATCHING. you cant watch arrows out of a compound. Like most of you I am not anti compound I just dont like shooting them. And as far as being around a bunch of people shooting it dont get any better, than stick shooters. I go to alot of shoots during the year but I think the best shoot of the year for me is our last shoot of the year for Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV. It our WV State Trad. Championship. and family cookout. A bunch of us after we shoot for score and eat trad bows or shoot a differant bow and shoot the range again. We rotate and who ever is up first calls the shot, from were ever they want. Kinda like the game of horse we played as kids with a basket ball. You never see compound shooters doing stuff like that. Stick and Strings good people good food and lots of targets. It dont get any better.
Member WV Bowhunters Associaion Life member of Trad. Bowhunters of Southern WV

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
It was driven home this weekend while I was at a cookout.  Some of us had brought our bows.  One guy mentioned how he didn't have the time to get good with traditional equipment.  I commented that I spend maybe fifteen minutes a day shooting.  He said he can spend fifteen minutes before the season to be ready.  I can't imagine not WANTING to shoot more than that.  It just reafirmed that for traditional shooters, archery is actually FUN.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I shot wheel bows for many years.  I have to admit, it is a nice feeling to shoot a perfect 300 or hit the bullseye at 65 yards.  Even so I have not shot my old target bow in well over a year and have no regrets.

I gravitated towards traditional because I was was tired of having to take a tacklebox full of stuff with me whenever I wanted to shoot.  I felt like I was spending too much time maintaining and worrying about my equipment. While high tech has it's advantages in some area's, at some point it just becomes to cumbersome. After a while, it all started to suck the fun out of shooting and hunting for me.  The switch to trad has revived that fun aspect and allowed me to focus more on my surroundings then my equipment

I've tried to get my friends to at least try trad but they are still to fixated on their uber fast arrow speed and mechanical doo-dahs.

I think people either get it or they don't.  It took me a while but I finally got it.     :thumbsup:
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Greg, you make some valid points that I'd expand upon.  I notice there are some things the high tech shooters have not experienced that we Traditional Archers deal with on a more routine basis.
1. The beauty of the arch of an arrow in flight.  That might have something to do with the term "ARCHery".  I made that comment in the company of a group of my Training Wheels buddies and one of them had a moment of epiphany when he realized that the Arch is actually the origin of the word Archery.

2. The penetration benefits of heavy arrows.  I too once got caught up in light arrow mentaility and learned the hard way by sticking a huge Black bear at 11 yards, only to find out that my super light weight carbon arrow with the 85 grain broadhead did not adequately penetrate the animal to bring about a happy ending.  Thus far one of the most sickening lessons I've had to learn.  I'm sure the bear was not too pleased with my learning curve either.

3. The Traditional way is a philosophy of life that seems more conducive to enjoying the experience of wandering about God's back yard.  If an animal is taken so much the better but the taking is not the defining element which distinguishes success or failure of an adventure.  The defining element is encapsulated in the memory created.  We do these things not because they are easy tasks, but rather because they are difficult tasks to accomplish.

4. The Traditional guy just has fun meandering around, shooting at stumps, rabbits, grouse etc. and enjoying life in a laid back manner.  For me at least Tradition archery has made me realize that I am a part of nature, that I belong in the woods.

:campfire:  

Do these beliefs make me an elitist?  I certainly hope not, as I enjoy introducing and re-introducing the fun of ARCHery to my Training Wheels buddies.  But clearly, at least for me, the type of person who is attracted to Traditional Archery are easier for me to associate with on a one to one relationship basis.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
If you have ever visted some of the tech archery sites you will find most of the posters have all there equipment listed as a signature line.  I'm talking arrow weight, all accesories, and arrow speed.  They are all about out doing one another.  Turns me off.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
Guys, from day one Tradgang has made it a policy to not discuss compounds or have anti-compound threads. This thread can remain as a pro-trad thread, but not anti-compound one. Please post accordingly. Thanks.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
I will agree Greg that before I started shooting trad this year, that I really didn't think of recurves and longbows as all that effective. I think that is what kept me from starting years ago. I had alway thought that trad gear was "cool looking" but didn't think anyone short of Fred Bear, Howard Hill or the Wensels could really be effective with it.

Then my curiosity got the best of me and I started on sites like this one and saw that other "mere mortals" were taking big game left and right with this stuff and finally convinced myself to take the plunge. I have not regretted it one bit, just wish I had done it sooner.

I have only been to two trad tournaments but had a great time at both. I really enjoyed shooting with you guys at Tannehill and I felt like I learned a lot in just one day of shooting and asking questions. I met lots of great people and got to shoot a lot of other bows which has only deepend my addiction. But this is one addiction that I plan to continue to support.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:
Guys, from day one Tradgang has made it a policy to not discuss compounds or have anti-compound threads. This thread can remain as a pro-trad thread, but not anti-compound one. Please post accordingly. Thanks.
Absolutely.  My intention was not to bash the wheel guys, but rather to express how much fun traditional has been for me.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
I know it was Greg, I just wanted to make sure this thread continued.   :thumbsup:  

There are very few things in life with such simple, immediate, personal satisfaction as watching an arrow leap from a tradbow, sail through it's arc and hit it's intended mark.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't often comment on these threads but I enjoy reading them.Mike's response caused me to think a little about the differences in the mentalities or philosophies of the traditional and high-tech shooters. I shot a compound for about a month in either '79 or '80 because the guys (hunters) I knew convinced me that I should. I gave it up real quick but I continued to shoot with and compete against these fellows.I was convinced I was having more fun then and I'm still having it though the majority of these guys have either quit shooting all together or only fool around a little before and during hunting season. I really believe that the reason they cooled off is because of the distance technological improvements (can't think of a better term, even if I don't buy this one) created between the shooter and the bow and robs him or her of the full participation in the complete shot that we enjoy. I know that the competitive part of my nature is more than satisfied by the ongoing challenge of controlling my mind,  body, and equipment to the point that I perform well and I feel the pressure of that challenge whether I'm shooting alone or in competition with other shooters or at a game animal. Regardless of how well I shoot or for the length of time I shoot well, it has never been "ho-hum, another bull's eye." I don't feel the level of competitiveness against my peers that so evident between compound shooters because it's me I'm competing against.It's kept me interested and active for forty years. I feel very lucky.                       Grant

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
All I can say is I have been shooting my Northwind all summer & havent touched the compound until the other day. First three shots in a 50 cent piece at 20 yards. But it just wasnt the same. I really enjoy the lomgbow & my 20 yard 4-6 inch groups. I cant imagine being in the woods w/out it this fall. I still will hunt with my friends w/ thier compound bows & for some of them it really is the right choice as its hard for them to find that 15 minutes a day to practice but they enjoy the woods as much as me I am sure. Mike
Big Mike

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of sharing a campground campfire with Fred Asbell a number of years ago when he was here doing a shooting seminar.  I thought he did a pretty good job of defining the difference (note I didn't say superiority) between high tech hunters and traditionalists.

High Tech hunters like success.  Traditional hunters like to shoot.  Fred said when he was running a deer camp he would invite hunters on their first evening with him to stump shoot and jaw a bit.  The high tech fellas generally answered that they had sighted in before leaving home, while the traditional fellas were tripping over each other in anticipation of shooting a few arrows.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
I think many archers get caught up in the high tech side of things.  Not necessarily just with bows, but with accessory equiptment.

My list used to include;
1. Scent loc camo
2. Fancy deer cart(which I had to use just to get all my crap into the woods),
3. High price tree stand,
4. Clip on tree stand blind
5. Bow & Arrows
6. Backpack (containing scent elimination spray, knife, snacks, deer drag and drinking water)
7.  All the other stuff I forgot about.

So one day I get to thinking....I don't see many deer like I used to. Well, I guess I did see their flags as I crash through the woods with all ths stuff! I remembered before I got hooked on all the must have items....when I just sat down by a tree and relaxed with nothing but my bow and arrows.  You know, I saw quite a few deer.

This years list:

Me, Bow, Arrows, and a quiver.

Traditional hunting just became traditional for me again this year!

Thanks guys,
Charlie

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Guess I'll put a knife and drag rope in my pocket too.
  :knothead:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
hey guys its all about having FUN!!! i love it i would not change it for the world using trad gear is awesome.   :campfire:   any ways look at all the cool people ya meet yeah!! wolfman
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline chucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
NOTHING PLEASES ME MORE THEN HUNTING WITH MY HAND CARAFTED STIKBOW. I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF THOSE 15 MINITE SIGHT IN PROS AT THE ARCHERY RANGE AND PRAY FOR THEM OFTEN!
simple is good!

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
I think a lot guys don't know that they can hunt/shoot a recurve or long bow. I started with a compond and never even considered a recurve until  friend gave me one. It was whole new world.
Sold my compound and have no regrets. I love shooting my recurve. There is great satisfaction in seeing the arrow fly and see it hit the mark. I have only been to a few 3d shoots but when someone in our group makes a nice shot we start passing out the high fives and a pats on the back.
I don't see that with the wheelie guys. m2c. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Robert Warnock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm 56 years old and I just made the switch to trad this summer.  Two things that attracted me to traditional archery were (1)The beauty and quality of the workmanship in trad equipment, the custom made bows and other accessories are just so much more eye-appealing than modern equipment (2) Trad shooters just seem to have so much more fun.  I am now retired and have time to practice.  I am shooting a 45# recurve and I really like it so far.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
I love Archery........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©