3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hello an need a little help  (Read 322 times)

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
Hello an need a little help
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
First off! What a great site! I am very glad to be a member here. I can tell there is a great wealth of knowledge here.

My dad passed down his old Grizzly to me when I was about 11.  I loved archery immediately! I like most progressed into shooting compound but lately it seems like something was missing.  I decided to pick up the old recurve but time has not been good to her and I think she will stay in retirement. I had always wanted a good longbow and think that may be the direction I take.  After a little bit of research I'm thinking I like the reflex reflex design.  I pick up extra work here and there an think my next job I'm going to put aside $300 for a used long bow. Can I find a good bow at that price? What brands should I look for? Any advice is welcome... Thanks and God bless!
Arise, kill, and eat.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hello an need a little help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:04:00 AM »
Levi Bedortha

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
With $300 and a little patience you could have a very nice bow from the classifieds. I have seen some really good deals on Mohawks, Great Northern's and Northern Mist's to name a few.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »
Welcome Clyde, you've come to the right place.

The classifieds are a great place to find a longbow, and with a budget of $300 you will be able to find a good one.

You might not have to completely retire the old Grizzly though.  If it is structurally sound the old Bears (or any old bow for that matter) can often be restored to as good as new.  Check out John at the Bow Hospital and see what he could do for her.

Either way, enjoy your journey back to the fun side of bowhunting!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Maddog makes a fine bow, only problem is you rarely see one for sale. He has 2 models, A Prarie Predator that cost less than that and a Mountaineer that cost more.  He sells his new ones for what most ask for used ones.  I own them both and man are they pretty and shooters to boot.  Only problem is you got o wait if you go that route.

as far as used bows, all are good.  You jus gotta find the one hat is the bes for you which will be easier since you don't really know what you like best.  The grip is the big thing on anybow which is why waiting 2-3 months for a bow built to your standards might be the best longrun investment.

I agree with whip, that Grizzly is probably fine if you didn't leave it wet, or in direct sunlight.  Put some pics up of it so we can help you determine if it is shootable.  Give Maddog a real look see if you decide to go the custom route.  If you are stuck buying used a Mohawk is a real catch as well for me.  And a Toelke whip does it for me too.  MY favorites behind the Maddogs, but geting either 2 used for the $300 don't happen often.  I do have a buddy looking to sell hiis whip for $425.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:00 AM »
Welcome from a fellow Mississippian! You had bet for 300 you can find a high end mint condition longbow just as those above have stated. Just be patient and check the classifieds regularly. I personally as well as my bro in law have picked up longbows here that have exceeded our expectations. I'm sure you are eager to hunt but can you at least practice until you find the bow you are looking for as this will make waiting much easier? Can the old Grizzly be shot at all? If you are close to Jackson Co. come try mine out!

Offline Sixgun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Welcome from a fellow newbie. I agree with what has been posted above, look for a good used bow.

I too came from the compound world. My draw length was 28" using a D-loop and trigger forward release. I dropped 2" in draw length shooting fingers with my new longbow. Also, don't overbow yourself, I dropped from a 70# compound to a 50# at 28" longbow. With my now shorter drawlength, it's closer to 45#. Nice and easy to draw, allows me to practice good form and magnifies any bad releases.

My other suggestion (and this is a quirk of mine) would be to look at bowyers in your state. I live in MI and also shoot a bow made in MI. I just think that's kinda cool.

Hope that helps and welcome again.

Ray
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there.

Fred Bear

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! My Grizzly has a splinter bout as wide and twice as long as a match stick. I was told in a different forum it could be dangerous.  My Dad had stored it in my grandmas closet for several years while I moved around a lot for work. I'll try an get some pics of it up later today.  Have no problem waiting for a good deal! I still have my compound... I know that's not a cool thing to say... Sorry.
Arise, kill, and eat.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
You don't have to be sorry about shooting a compound Clyde. It is a stepping stone many of us started archery on. Somehow Your archery journey led You here!!

Take Your time and research a few different bows. There are do's and don'ts to shooting a Traditional bow. Read through the pages TradGang and learn what works for You. Ask questions and You will get good helpful answers.

Good luck finding a bow and Welcome to TradGang.

bretto

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I have been looking at tons of bows and reading lots of posts!  I'm really liking Tomahawk and the Timber Hawks looks and review as well as there price. (both a bit too pricy)  My draw on the compound is 31 inches.  How will that equate to long bows? I'm guessing I'll be around 30" because I anchor my first nuckle under my ear next to my jaw with the compound but find anchoring tip of my first finger right under my right eye shooting trad. Don't know if this is correct but without the use of fixed sights I find this lines me up better with the arrow. From what I've read it looks like I'll need a 62-64" bow?
Arise, kill, and eat.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Lot's of bows out there that will work for 30" draws. I shot a 62" Tomahawk for awhile and had no problems with a 30" draw Myself.

I have many bows that work for me. From a 56" recurve to a 68" longbow.

Find a good anchor point and stick with it. Shoot every chance You get and have fun.

bretto

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Welcome aboard, lots of old pros here!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
:campfire:  Welcome
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Josh you found the right place for Trad bowhunting!  
I live in Vancleave, MS.  Where are you located?  As Kirk (Possum Head) and others have stated a good bow can be had on the classifieds easily. But its best to try a bow out if you can and theres a few of us traditional shooters here in the Gulf Coast areas and we have a literal arsenal of bows to try out if your nearby.  I would be patient before buying and determine all the particular about Trad shooting, proper draw length, correct poundage, longbow or recurve etc... On draw length I went from a 31” inch draw with the wheel bow to a 29.5” with a Long bow (recurve it is 30”), a lot about draw length is determined by shooting style and bow of choice (long bow and recurve).  Shout back with your question the gang here will be more than willing to help.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:00 AM »
Hello, please check your inbox. I have sent you a private message.

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I'm not in a big hurry as I will most likely finish out the season with my bowtech... I'd like to take my time and frankly I haven't had any extra work lately an may be after Christmas before I do. I'm in The Free State of Tallahatchi an if I recall Vancleve is south?

Legends I don't seem to have any PM but will check back later.
Arise, kill, and eat.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
Yes, Vancleave is deep south, gulf coast area.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Fat Clyde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Wow! I gota stay outa that classified section! May have to revoke my statement about not being in a hurry.  Really does look like a lot of stuff in my price range. I really like the looks of the solid or 2 piece bows. It seems like a solid bow would be more sturdy and reliable.  My backyard is 300 acres of deer, squirrel, and turkey so I don't travel much. In fact I'd never leave if I didn't have to earn a living and sleep in the woods every night if I didn't have a wife.
Arise, kill, and eat.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »
Clyde welcome.  There was a Liberty contender in the classifieds for under 300. We have 4@ our house each one is good with longdraws. No stacking! Best of luck looking!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Online Gib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 11:11:00 PM »
fat clyde sent you an email ,thanks gib

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©