3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Dakota Turkey...Looking for info  (Read 246 times)

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
South Dakota Turkey...Looking for info
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
I thought I reach out to the vast knowledge that is TradGang to get some info on Turkey hunting in South Dakota.

I’m looking to organize a trip for a group of friends for the spring of next year. We are looking to do something affordable yet with a good chance of success. Turkey hunting on public land in SD seems like it might fit the bill. We were thinking maybe the Black Hills area. Any suggestions or helpful experiences that you all could provide would be great!

Thanks.
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Dakota Turkey...Looking for info
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I hunted the public ground around Custer years ago. Lots of turkeys. I'm supposing that there still are. Wyoming's Black Hills have lots of birds, too.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
I agree with centaur about custer i've been there as well as seen lots of birds. If your not dead set on south dakota try the custer park in the extreme eastern part of montana right close to  Camp Crook, south dakota. I've hunted there numerous times, always limited out on deer and birds. Lots of grouse to shoot at also. I have probably seen more turkeys there in the few times I have been than aywhere else put together.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I agree with centaur about custer i've been there as well as seen lots of birds. If your not dead set on south dakota try the custer park in the extreme eastern part of montana right close to  Camp Crook, south dakota. I've hunted there numerous times, always limited out on deer and birds. Lots of grouse to shoot at also. I have probably seen more turkeys there in the few times I have been than aywhere else put together.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I would check out eastern and north central Nebraska as well.  Some of the local turkey hunters here, say that it is better than our Loese Hills or southern Iowa.  There are a lot of turkeys in the Loese Hills.

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
I don't think Custer is an option. According to the regs it's open to SD residents only. Are there any areas of the Black Hills to avoid? Can you camp there?

I looked into Nebraska but they just don't seem to have very large section of public land.
feet closer to God.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Custer State Park is open to residents only.

I think they are refering to the area around the town of Custer. Public land around the town of Custer is open to all licensed hunters.

You can camp most places in the Hills on public land. There are many campgrounds with hookups as the tourist trade is the biggest buisness in the Black HIlls.

You might not be able to get into the high and more remote areas in the early part of the season due to weather. In the later part of the season most areas are usually accesable.

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
In 2 trips to the Black Hills my buddy and I shot our birds each trip (and he managed to miss one and I passed up a couple marginal shots).  Last trip we each took an archery bird and shotgun.  We just loaded the camping gear in the truck and off we went.  Be ready for weather extremes though.  Our first trip we had snow the first day and by the end of the week we were running around camp in shorts.  Other than our tags, gas was the only big expense.  We spent probably $100 on food and came home with food each time.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
The hills are loaded w/ turkey. I'm on the Wyo side and they are everywhere. You may want to consider a Wyo turkey hunt.

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys, keep em coming.
Is the turkey tag all that's needed or do we need to purchase a general hunting license plus the tag?

Im going to try to do as much scouting as I can from the computer.
feet closer to God.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
I hunted out of Hill City probably a decade ago.  Friendliest place I have ever hunted.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and they made sure we had cinnamon rolls hot and ready at 3:30 a.m.  Love those Merriams.

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
PM sent

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
Did this last year hunted out of Wood SD there were a lot of birds where we were.

I hear that Nebraska has some good hunting too.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »
Don't know about spring,  but fall turkeys over there, at least where I have spent time,are STUPID    compared to eastern birds.   I have walked among them (within 15 yards of groups of up to 75 birds) several times in a ghillie suit, drew on them (nope,  didn't have a tag).  Maybe these flocks were different / abnormal, don't know.  But the difference was noticeable to me.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©