3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in strong winds  (Read 490 times)

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in strong winds
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
Deer are moving better each day now, but the high winds are making sitting in a stand difficult. Forecast is for high winds the next few days.

Should you wait until the wind decreases, or get out and hunt regardless of strong winds. How will the wind affect movement. Now that the rut is starting, will bucks move just as much, or hunker down until things settle.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in strong winds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
I'm sitting in a tree now with 20mph gusts..just had a buck chasing a doe go by. I try to set up on transition areas where the wind doesn't make such a ruckus..edges of pines, sage brush, etc.  Some of my best hunting encounters happen on really windy, gusty days. My advice is to get after them.
Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Deer still move on windy days. They still have to eat. I sit on the ground in the thick stuff, because that is where they will feel safest when they can't hear well because of wind. I took two deer on a day with 40 mph gusts because they were confused.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:00 PM »
Look for spots that have heavy cover out of the wind. They like those types of spots........Plus the wind can hide your mistakes if you make any! Just keep it in your face!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
How about still hunting. You can stalk into the wind, and they'll never hear you coming.

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
One of my best days hunting ever as far as seeing bucks was on a gusty windy day.Get out and hunt cause you never know.Just strap yourself in  :bigsmyl:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
I tend to use the wind to allow me to get in a little closer to bedding areas and setup.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Bob N.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I think high wind just changes where the deer move.  High winds are not much fun to hunt, but I have had very good luck on very windy days.  High winds keep more hunters from moving than the deer.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Randy, are bucks already chasing in Georgia? I've noticed wind has very little effect on rutting deer.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Keep huntin em
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
I'll be out tomorrow.  Hoping to sit a stand in the bottoms so I don't get blown out of the tree.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
I prefer it to those days when there is no wind and it seems like your heartbeat will give you away on the draw.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
I actually like the wind, my groundblind is set up so that 90% I am downwind from where the deer come from! The other nite it was dead still and i had a deer right at dark I swear it heard my stomach growl! LOL It has been quite windy up here, kinda gusty but still seeing deer move!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Be sure to look for dead or rotting wood around your set up area before settling in. Nothing worse than having a tree or big branch come crashing down at you. Been there, no fun.
I still love hunting windy days, but I'm always looking up!
David M. Conroy

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I don't hunt on windy days anymore. I started bowhunting in 1984 and have never seen much action on windy days on farms with a lot of bucks. I truly think the bucks lay low as they have a tough time using their alarm senses. My trail cameras tell the same story.  I think it is way too early in the rut also for them to drop their guard. I am waiting until Thursday. That should be a good day after these high winds the next few days.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
just watched a SLAMMER 8 point oblivious to the weather (high winds) and my truck trot from one side of the road to the other with his nose to the ground...
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Well, I was out this a.m. in the wind and rain, and no movement, not even the squirrels were anxious to come out.
Forecast is for even higher winds tonight, so I'm sitting tight at home, but tomorrow morning might just be a good time to be out.

Yornoc...your right on with the dead limbs falling from above, saw a couple big branches come down.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
Bob,
Sunday afternoon the big buck was seen chasing a doe around my Dads farm which is about 10 minutes from our hunting lease.  I've seen some big ones moving durning windy days when they are seeking the does but in general high winds usually means few deer sightings for me.

Winds are going to be worse tomorrow BUT Thursday looks like a good day.  Winds will be dropping and it's November 1st!!!  I'm thinking about an all day sit (if my a-- can handle it).  Are you in?

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Thinking the same thing...that Thursday/Friday may be great days to be in the bush all day.  Started vacation today but after seeing the weather came in t work and saved the day.  Will take rest of the week off and try Tues/Wed as well.

Have seen some good deer in the wind, but couple that with a big front and I believe they are laying low right now.  At least that is what I am telling myself cause I came in to work today  haha
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
" I'm thinking about an all day sit (if my a-- can handle it). Are you in? "

You gotta be kidding?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©