3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in strong winds  (Read 489 times)

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in strong winds
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I'll take that as a NO.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
J Dean, I heard all the big dumb bucks were walking around Witby today.....HAHA  :laughing:

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
I was hunting in a cornfield Sun., the wind was really kicking it, damn near got run over by two does. Hunting in the wind, is not my favorite because your sense of hearing is handicapped, but the deer still move, and carry on.
Never the less, if i get a chance at the woods, im going!   :archer2:

Offline J Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
"J Dean, I heard all the big dumb bucks were walking around Witby today.....HAHA"

That's ok I am after the smart ones...
Omega Imperial 62" - 47#@28"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
It's been blowing hard around here for a couple of wks and suppose to be in the 20mph's tomorrow. I don't mind it as long as it's not blowing the tree I'm in around so much I can't hold steady for a shot. Bucks are on the move and they could care less right now.

I also am cautious about dead trees around when hunting in high winds.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Saw the best buck of the year last year out in picked corn Fielding on a very windy day about this time of year. I was goose hunting because of the wind. Limited on geese but was a little mad I didn't deer hunt.  My only problem is I don't get good arrow flight in 20 plus mph wind so I don't care if the deer do move in it unless I have a very sheltered area.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 06:29:00 AM »
It's been  blowing hard here ( over 20 mph. ) for over a week. I have seen several bucks cruising over that time, from 9 to noon. I actually prefer the wind, easier entry and exit to stand sites. I would rate buck activity here as high. Get out there!
Tom

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
I plan on sitting as much as possible after all this weather moves through.  I have thursday and friday off, so hopefully they will be on their feet.  I didnt go out last night because of the rain, dont want to shoot one and not have a blood trail to follow up on.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Had a shot at the biggest buck I've had the opportunity on during a windy day. The only problem was that he was in the pasture and I was in the woods. As soon as the arrow cleared the timber, the wind caught the fletching and the arrow took a left turn! The height was perfect but it ended up with the feathers brushing the back of his butt. You'd be surprised at just how high a 250+ pound buck jump, swap ends, and land on his feet!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
I killed the nicest buck I ever killed while hunting a very windy day. My advantage that day came from the wind hiding my noise. I was within 20 yards of this buck for over 20 minutes moving along next to him as he fed with some does. I would never have been able to do that without the wind covering the sound of my feet on the leaves. I think the wind can be a huge advantage. Specially if you are hunting on the ground. Anything that can lower there senses only helps us. We need all the help we can get. At least I do!

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
High winds can blow your arrows around, I had 45 mph winds blow my arrow out of control a couple of years ago and caused a clean miss.  the arrows flew perfect with less wind, but side stepped like crazy with the quartering tail wind. Just remember to to put rocks in your pockets and tie down gram-ma when it get real windy and avoid shooting long shots across the wind.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I just got in and the wind was and is really whipping. Saw a medium size buck at 8:30am come off the hill and just knew he was going to walk the main trail he was on right on down past my stand. But, he took a left. I don't know if I could have held on him anyway. The tree was really swaying.

Walked up on the biggest buck I've seen during  daylight in about 7 yrs. at 11:30am. I was coming out from way back and looked to my right and there he was. Just standing broadside at about 60yds. in some thick stuff. He'd already seen me and was hoping I would walk on past. When I got an arrow out of my quiver and waited on him he bolted. He was right behind the soybean field behind my house.

I'd just seen his big fresh rub and was planning a hunt there when I busted him..hate that.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
CRAZY high wind right now but i want to hunt so i'll have at it tomorrow morning!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
I have pictures I retreived today of 3 different bucks-2 shooters-out and about at the height of Hurricane Sandy's temper tandrums, winds very near or above hurrican force-74 mph.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©