3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: paper tuning shows all arrows too stiff  (Read 203 times)

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
paper tuning shows all arrows too stiff
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
I was paper tuning a few bows and got them all making bullet holes except for one.  It's cut 3/16" past center 55#@29 with a 29.5" arrow.  When I shoot a 74# tapered cedar with a 145gr point at 25 yards it seems to fly really well but the paper at six feet and also back a bit more shows way too stiff.  I started experimenting with weaker and weaker spine arrows even one meant for a light target bow and every combination tears the paper as if it's too stiff.  Any ideas?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: paper tuning shows all arrows too stiff
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
My guess would be an arrow like that that arrow should be weak out of a bow that is cut 3/16 past, and the rest weaker. What direction is the tear and are you a rightie or leftie?

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Are you drawing 29"
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Do you shoot 3-under? The reason I ask is I have helped a few guys with paper tuning and I have seen 3 different guys have this same problem. No matter what I did to the bow or the arrow, it still showed the same thing. The only thing that all three had in common was that they shot 3-under. One of the guys tried split and, wallah, he was shooting bullet holes. he did switch to split and tunes fine now. I'm not saying you need to switch the way you shoot, I'm just telling you what I have seen.

Good luck with it.

Bisch

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Different grip causing riser torque
   :dunno:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I personally don't pay any attention to paper tuning. I do all of my tuning with bare shafts. Try shooting some bare shafts in with a group of 2-3 fletched arrows and see how they group in relation to each other.
James Kerr

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
I draw 29" I'm left handed and the tear is to the left of the hole. I don't think it's my grip or my three under form because I was shooting three other bows and got all of them shooting bullet holes. I do have some stiffer arrows I can try.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
Based on those answers you definitely need to try some stiffer shafting. If you are using a ff type string you need another 15-20# spine. That amount of spine as pretty much unavailable in cedar today. Get a test pack from Surewood; they are a sponsor here.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
I have a 55@29 Blacktail Elite TD cut 3/16" past center.  It will shoot bullet holes with a 74 lb spine cedar cut to 30" BOP with a 125 gr point.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
what kind of bow?  string?  and by chances do you have a low braceheight?  Some bows are just picky in general!  Others shoot a wide-wider range of arrows well.

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I was amazed I tried a 2216 arrow and started getting perfect holes at six feet.  I tried it at the bale from 25 yds and they seem to fly great.  
The bow is a great plains swift fast flight string and the brace is up near the recommended max.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
if it works it works.....a 2216 is a 84/86 pound spine shaft fwiw.  

out of curiosity is it a skinny ff?

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I can't remember the details but it's not a skinny string.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
For some reason, my style of shooting requires that I shoot a wood shaft that is ALWAYS way overspined.

Also shooting wood shafts through paper can show a "problem" that is actually just a wood shaft still in  the process of straightening out.

Personally, I think shooting through paper is the best method of tuning...it shows what the arrow is actually doing...and if it flies straight through paper it will group with broadheads. It has to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©