3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 7 Lakes Longbows Hill Style...how do they shoot and compare?  (Read 268 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
7 Lakes Longbows Hill Style...how do they shoot and compare?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Hey all.

I've had my eye on one of the 7 Lakes Longbows in the Hill Style for a while.  I would love to try and finish one of his kits that he sells at a pretty attractive price.
I'd like to hear some thoughts and opinions on them from those that have owned and shot them.  If you also done one of the blanks, that would be especially helpful.
Also how do you think these 7 Lakes Hill bows compares performance wise with the other oft mentioned and talked about Hill style bows?
Anything you can add about them would be helpful.

Thanks for your help and time!

Lice of the 7 Lakes Hill style would be awesome if you have any...

Nalajr

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 7 Lakes Longbows Hill Style...how do they shoot and compare?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
I need to go visit Mike and try one first hand.

I'll be watching this thread.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I hope there are some people that can hop in and give some opinions.  I'd really like to know more about his Hill style bows and in particular his Hill Style blanks which I would love to try.

I also have a real soft spot for Dave Johnson Hill styles, but he doesn't have blanks.  Would've loved to have had RED DRAGON that MUDD sold a few months back.

If these 7 Lakes are as good as what I have read and heard about from a couple of owners, I'll probably end up getting one to try.  The guy that owns 7 Lakes is a really helpful and friendly sounding guy.

Thanks again all.
Nalajr

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Ttt once

Offline adkarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I shot one of his bows at a trad only shoot earlier this summer, maybe a half dozen times.  My arrows were not the correct spine, but the bow certainly felt good in the hand and shot well despite the wrong arrows.  it was a beautiful bow and his craftsmanship was top notch.  He seemed like a really good guy.  Based on my brief experience, I would not hesitate to buy one.

Adkarcher
New York Bowhunters - Life Member
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
I have, and still do, own several of Mike Ballenger's 7 Lakes longbows and they are great shooting, well built bows.  Have taken several deer with my 12 y/o 62" R/D (7 Lakes) from a treestand (2 doubles).  

Have had my Hill style (Carolina Night) for about a month and it is shooting as good (for me) as my HH longbows.  Still working on the exact arrows that I will hunt with, but it seems to shoot the arrows that my HH Redman likes.  Both bows are 66 inches long and pull 51#s at my 27" draw. The HH is straight and the 7 Lakes is a string follow bow. Shooting 10 strand FF type strings on both.  I was going to do the bow blank, but decided to have Mike finish the bow and he did a much better job than I would have I'm sure. The best thing about the blank, IMO, is that you can make the grip exactly like you want it.  Here is a link to a few pics of the 7 Lakes.
 http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff165/1MacDaddy/NM%20Shelton/
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics. It is a good looking bow for sure. Looking at the pics on this phone really doesn't do it justice though. I'll have to check it out on my tablet later so I can see it better. It looks like it has the same profile as the other Hill bows it is next to.
As for the grips, like you said, I can get the exact grip I want with the blank.  I really like that feature. The only thing that scares me is that if you screw it up then you've pretty much gotta live with it.
I have never held or shot a Hill style now and I don't know of any shops in Houston that I could shoot one. My draw weight is also low at 46 pounds or so and that would also make it hard to locate one. I'll just have to go on faith that ill like that style of now.
The grip that I think I would like the most are grips like on the Dave Johnson bows, especially the one named RED DRAGON, and the SHREW HILL that Mr. LaClair posted pics of, it was his personal bow I think.  Both are great looking bows but are also 2X the price of the 7 Lakes Hill blank. Not taking anything away from other Hill style makers, I like 'em all and want them.  Right now though I have to make decisions based on price.  Wish I didn't have to, but that's the reality I'm in since I haven't seen any "WE FINANCE" signs on bow builders web sites like a used car lot.
 ;)

Thanks.

Hope there's more pics and info out there.
Nalajr

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
ttt
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©