3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lots of Arrow questions. Please Help!  (Read 228 times)

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
Lots of Arrow questions. Please Help!
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
I have been using gold tip trad 3555 arrows with a total of 175 grains up front. My arrows are 29.5". I have tuned these for my 45@ 28" Zipper recurve that has a D97 string and they shoot great.

:help:  
1) Do you think it would be better to have a 30 1/2" arrow, giving 3/4" gap between the riser and the broadhead blade or should I make it a little larger, and use a 31" arrow?

2) I am planning on footing the arrow with a 1" piece. Would it be bad if this piece came up on the shelf, or since I am making new arrows, should I just make them a little long, so this can't happen? How big of a piece for the nock end?

3) The big question/s... I don't shoot much 3d, but when I do, I am a little hard on my arrows with missed targets, because our course is set up for long shot compounds. I do stump shoot some.

I have been having a hard time trying to decide if I am going to try wood or stay with carbons. I know most of the positives of both and I do have the equipment to make wood arrows. I like the looks and personal touches of wood but I am concerned about the durability (Will I break all my arrows quickly by missing targets at 3d shoots?) and inconsistency of weight between dozens. I know carbons will always be the same, but is this cheating myself???

If I decide wood, which spine rating (look at my bow specs above) should I use and what type of wood? I know that 59# wood are way too light, as I have a few that will be getting sold. These will not be footed, the footing was for the carbons.

If I get new carbons, they will most likely be cx heritage. Would the 150s be better at my arrow length (30.5 to 31 inches) and bow specs, or 250?

The season is getting close, so this will probably be the hunting shaft of the year.   :archer:  

Thanks!!!!!!!!! You guys are great!!
Kevin

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lots of Arrow questions. Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »
Whats a K2?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline RidinMyK2PastU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
A K2 brand of mountain bikes that I used to race for a local bike shop.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Ohhhhh OK (just curious)Thanks
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
ttt

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
Add an inch and drop your point weight to tune.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
Question 1&2... make your next set an inch longer. The addition of a "footing" and it coming up on the shelf probably won't have a lot of impact on arrow flight... but better safe than sorry.

You don't need to add anything on the nock end.

Question 3... the carbons will be much more durable in the long run than woods unless you choose hardwood shafting. (not a fan)

Don't think you'll be cheating yourself by staying with carbon. Arrows are just amunition. Nothing more or less.
Fear of breaking arrows often leads to missing or not taking shots for fear of. Shooting confidence comes with being able to take whatever shot comes along without any nagging doubts about arrow loss...it can be a distraction!

You'll probably need 55-60 or 60-65 spine for woodies.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©