3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rattling bag vs. Actual antlers???  (Read 345 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Rattling bag vs. Actual antlers???
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Would like to get your thoughts here on using rattling antlers vs a rattling bag. I've used antlers in the past with mixed success. I carry a small 3 pt antler in combo with a larger 2 point to rattle. I purposely use small antlers to try and call in bigger deer and not put off smaller bucks. Who uses bags and what do you find works better?
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rattling bag vs. Actual antlers???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
I use them both.  Honestly I find success equal with them both.  I prefer the bag due to ease of portability.  Its that "rattling" sound that peaks the curiosity, so I don't believe one puts off a more realistic sound than the other.  

I choose bag for the ease of use and less cumbersome and also less movement in location when using them.  Heck, I even called a buck in one day hanging a stand!!!!! And I was stuck hanging on the side of the tree holding a tree step in one and looking at this beauty.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
You can make your own bag by cutting several different sized hardwood dowels and flattening on side of them. I liked mine, but left it hanging in the tree once and a squirrel chewed up the bag. Gotta make a new one.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I too have used bothwith success in calling in bucks. The bag is a little more convenient.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Good info...since I cannot get either to work for me.   :confused:  

(Maybe I need to be hunting where there are more bucks and fewer does, huh?  :dunno:
Lon Scott

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:00 PM »
Don't rattle much....but have......

Anyway....1st deer I ever rattled up, and I was on the ground...1st time using a rattle bag also...

He aint much, but must have been a brawler as 3 of his 6 points were broken off and he was still looking for a fight....

I also called one in once by taking my arrow off the shelf and clicking it in the arrows in my bow quiver.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
I use a bag. Haven't called in many that way, but the only two that I've shot after rattling, were both......DOES. I guess they get curious too.
I did pass on a big 6pt with small brows. I really should've shot that one.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I might add that when you rattle has more to do with it than what you use.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
I have rattled in two little bucks in the last two mornings with some little forkhorn antlers. I'm waiting for one of the big guys to take the bait, but so far no luck.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tom Leemans:
I might add that when you rattle has more to do with it than what you use.
I echo what Tom said when the window is open so to speak rattling works wonders but when it's closed your at the best waisting your time.  I have found for myself it works best during the peak of the rut and as the rut is winding down but I'm sure others have had differeent reactions.  

And for what it's worht I like to use the real deal in stead of a bag, but both do in deed work.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I have had limited success using the rattle bag. I have tried the real antlers, but as I got into the moment I slammed my thumb between the brow tines on the  antlers. I guess the stream of obscenities coming from my mouth overrode the realitic sounds of the antlers. So, I have stayed with the bag and called in deer twice this season, but, alas, have nothing to show for it.
Sam

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Rattling is hit and miss.  When it works it works great.  I have rattled up multiple bucks in one set, one after the other.  I have tried a lot of different bags and even the new rattle pack, but nothing works as good for me as two big antlers.  They aren't easy to carry around and I did cut off the brow tines so I don't catch my fingers to much.  I have rattled in small bucks and big bucks with them.  Not saying other things won't work, but real antlers and big ones seem to work the best for me.  In fact, just over a week ago I rattled in the largest buck I have ever killed with those antlers (see my new avatar).  I rattled more this weekend with zero success but I will continue to rattle right up to rut gets going good.  When the rut starts I mostly use a grunt tube and leave the antlers at home.  
  I like to rattle about every 45 minutes to an hour getting progessively louder and more aggressive as I go.  I have gotten my best results a week or two before rut and during mid day, but that is just my limited experience.  That big guy I rattled in at about 8 AM.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
I have also had success with both, but prefer carrying the rattle bag.  I spent some time mixing and matching different wood dowels and comparing their sounds to the real thing.  I would also stay away from plastic dowels...IMO, they sound like...well, like plastic dowels hitting eachother.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
If you are hitting your fingers with the real horns, try using two lefts or two rights.  They fit together in a way that keeps them from smacking those frozen digits on the stand!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »
cut off the brow tines.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
Horns are best...cut off the brows, and use the biggest set you care to carry.  Lucky said it all...as far as I'm concerned.  Timing, and volume (to get the sound to carry) is what is important for us out west.  Rattle bags don't cut the mustard.  

I have had a lot of luck the last two season with the "pack rack" by knight and hale.  Get the magnum...for volume.  Also, it's a lot easier to carry than a set of antlers.  Not trying to pitch a product...that's not me...it just happens to be the best alternative to real antlers out there, IMO.  

We have great luck rattling here.  Even when it doesn't seem to work, I can't say that it negatively affect deer at all.  Small bucks, even does, seem to be attracted to it.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
Lefty... Amazing buck in your avatar! Looks just like a turkey!!!
   :D    :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
I should add that I've called in more bucks with real antlers than bags. Of course I've only ever had one buck respond... and I think he may have been coming my way anyway!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
I also agree about 'when'.....just like grunting....sometimes they come in on a string...some times they just look back at ya over their shoulder and pay no real attention.

Grunting never hurts, so I don't think rattling ever hurts either unless you get caught.

I think you need to be in a real advantageous spot to rattle....hid well and low and from a place its hard for them to get down wind.

I'm gearing up for it during the next 3 weeks.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »
I have been using real antlers for many years. I lost them last fall and have been testing the alternatives. I have rattled in probably 30 bucks over the last 10 years and killed about 6 or 8 of those while using the antlers.
I tried the rattle bag and the packrack and also took another pair of antlers from my collection to replace the ones I lost. The rattle bag sounds ok, but not as good as the antlers to me. The packrack sounds ok while testing it at home.
When I got them both in the woods I noticed a difference in tone, probably doesn't matter, but what I really didn't like was the lack of volume. They just don't make enough noise as compared to the real deal. The antlers are a pain to carry sometimes, but I am sticking with them.
I rattle a lot this time of year and you never know what response you will get. One day you won't see a thing and the next bucks will be all over you. The deer population and ratio has a lot to do with it also.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©