3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching to carbons?  (Read 467 times)

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching to carbons?
« on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I'v been shooting woodies for 18yrs. Iam wanting to try carbons. I don't understand all the sizes, different numbers with carbons. I shoot a longbow 49# at 28. 28in draw, skinny string,reflex\\deflex. I was thinking on GT 3555 shafts. I need help. Any advice?
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching to carbons?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 55 at my 29.5 draw and getting good results with Easton 340 Traditional Only and Carbon  Express 250 both full length and 175 grain tips with regular inserts. Somebody told me that Easton is the only one that the numbers are true to spine. You could probably get away with one of these shafts and maybe put a heavier tip up front?

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
The test kit from 3 Rivers worked out well for me. I ended up going with Carbon Express because at the time that was the only kit they offered.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
For hunting I would recommend Carbon Express shafts. They are heavier per inch than the GT's. My bows are the same specs as yours and the Carbon Express 150's will most likely be your size shaft. I have a few bows that also shoot the CE 90's very well.

FBB has given good advice get a test kit.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
The 3555's should work well. Those, or 500 spine arrows like FMJ's .  CX 150's would work well too.

Experiment with tip weights, but I'd start with 200 grains up front!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
I switched just a few months ago from wood.

I'm shooting a 45# whip HS.
Drawing 28#.
I'm using full length 500 beman bowhunters with a 175 grain tip.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
I would go with the Arrow Dynamics trad light series shafts. You will never find an easier shaft to tune!
James Kerr

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
Good luck. I played with carbons all summer, got a lot figured out, I'm happy with how they're tuned but I still like the gentle little sound wood makes coming off the bow. So hunting season I'm back to wood. Hasn't mattered so far though, haven't had a shot so nothing listening but me when stumping.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I shoot a Bama Expi 48@28 draw about 29 1/2, I am shooting 3555s with 145pts cut full length! That arrow should work well for you, and as stated above CX Heritage 150s would work too I would think!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
Another vote for Arrow Dynamics Trad Lites.  Once you try them, you won't shoot any other carbon.  They are absolutely the easiest to tune arrow in existence.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Carbon arrows strike fear in the hearts of some...but there is no need for it.(I used to be one of those guys)

Don`t be afraid to put some weight on the front, and don`t cut your new shafts AT ALL, until you try them.

I agree with Rufus about the sound wood arrows make when shot...it is indeed gentle. I did some experiments over the years and began squeezing automotive silicone into the insert end of the arrow. It adds weight, doesn`t seem to change spine much (like adding a bit of tip weight), AND it makes the arrow sound and feel more like a wood shaft.

I do not bareshaft my arrows anymore...I fletch one up, full length...with the tip weight I want and the approximate total weight I want. I then shoot it through paper at ranges from point blank out to about ten yards. I then cut the shaft or add weight to the tip as I think necessary, in order to get a perfect tear through butchers wrap paper.

I cut my carbons very carefully with a Dremel rotary tool, using the little disc cutter wheels. Do NOT sniff the freshly cut carbon as you would Cedar...LOL.(seriously...there is a dust created when cutting that CANNOT be good to breathe)

I use a bit of hot melt glue to temp. secure the insert. GENTLE heat applied to the field tip has never caused grief when I wanted to remove an insert. Also, I have actually started relying on hot melt as a permanent install of inserts...(not 100% permanent...have had inserts come out like this)

With your set up, I would personally start with a full length Gold Tip 35/55 and a 175 or 200 grain head. Total weight around 425 or so.

I have found a nock that is too tight is a problem carbons don`t like.

You don`t get to know every arrow as you build it like with wood, but carbons can last long enough to get a history with you.

Good luck...

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Thank you Bonebuster. Alot of good stuff. I will miss the woodies. The touch,feel,smell and the PROCESS of building them.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I think bonebuster said it so well I won't even try to improve on it.  However, you will see that 3355 full length with a 175 grain head will weigh a little more than what he said.  About 475 grains.  200 grain head is gonna weigh about 500 grains full lenght. This is with the tradiional shaft.  My 28 inch with a 200 grain head is 480 grains.  It will be a hard hitting quick setup for sure. God bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline SAVIOUR68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
AD TRAD LITES are my favorites and I have tried them all.
   :archer2:

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Beman MFX Classic 500's with 100 grain brass insert and 125 to 200 grain broadhead(depending on arrow flight) would work well. I am shooting 29" MFX Classic 500's with 100 grain brass insert and 140 grain tips very well at 27" draw and 47 to 56 lb longbows.

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »
Depends on the bow and your form, get a test kit.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
AWPforester was correct...I just weighed my sons full length Gold Tip Traditionals 35/55, with a 175 grain head, and they come up at 485 grains.

He is shooting them out of a Predator recurve. He draws to a solid 28", and it 49 lbs at that draw.  :campfire:

Offline Woody303

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
I've found bamboo arrows to be far stronger than cedar.....might give them a try.  I wrap the shaft with silk bead cord, and superglue, just behind the head, and that keeps the shafts from splitting if/when I hit a rock.

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
Don't forget that in the arrow tuning process, especially with GT shafts or others with a .246 inside dia., you can attach a nock insert to add weight to the back of the arrow. This allows you to add or subtract weight to both ends of the arrow for tuning............Dave

Offline ichibuns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Hello BowMike on your bemans what of feathers are you useing?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©