3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For Hunting...Tab vs Glove?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For Hunting...Tab vs Glove?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I use a glove as I just prefer it over a tab in all shooting conditions with my longbows.  For some reason I shoot my recurves better with a tab, but I really don't shoot a recurve very often and almost never shoot  recurve to hunt big game with.  

As for the cold weather, I wear a hand warmer muff when on-stand.  When stalking, I just wear a real thin liner glove under my shooting glove and that seems to work best for me.

Offline JDunlap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
Tab works great for me. Good release; and I can lay it back against my palm and put a glove on. when I need to shoot I can take the glove off and it is right there ready to go on the string. Also, I can spin it around on my finger so that its on the back of my hand and do other things like climb trees or whatever.
Sandy Biles Scorpion TD RC; 54@28
RER XR Static Tip RC; 50@28
JC Optimus riser/Uukha EX1EVO2 [email protected]

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
This is my 1st year with trad gear. During the last year I have practiced every day with a glove. But, I have a tab and I intend to practice with it during the off season.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
I started with a glove, but did try a tab a couple of years ago. I liked the release with a tab and used it for awhile.

This year I went back to my glove- it just seemed I shot more consistant with the glove.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:00 PM »
I ak because I have used a glove most of my career, but for about 3 years shot a tab, I liked it. Glove seems to be getting in the way lately. I think I may ease back into a tab. Do they still make the S.A.M.? "Super Archery Mitt"?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I've been shooting with my kuiu guide glove. Got really good with a tab over the summer, then I took a break due to life and when I started shooting again my shots were better with the glove. Just switched to a tab again when my new bow arrived for some reason. Going to try out the glove tomorrow if sandy permits.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
42yrs shooting the bow, first 39 shooting a glove, bout 3yrs ago I switched to a simple leather tab and doubt I'll go back. Not that I think one is really better than the other, I shoot both well. But I like the freedom I have to use my fingers with the tab, you know, grab a arrow nock or button your shirt, unzip if you have.......well you know what I mean. Plus it seems I can keep my hand warmer.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I hate tabs. Really hard to draw and nock an arrow quickly. I feel like I'm fumbling around every time I try one. I'm sure it would get better with practice but they are not for me at all. I'll stick with my trusty glove.... now to get a new Crossover glove :----)))
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Can shoot both not sure one any better than the other. I prefer a simple cordovan tab from Alaska Bowhunting. Cool in the warmer months and slips right over a wool glove when cold.  Leaves my hands free for other tasks as well.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Tab only for me. Sore fingers with gloves.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I started with a glove but went back and forth between the two for a long while, now its glove only.
For me the glove has a more natural feel, as well as being more comfy and consistent when snuggled into my anchor point.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
I use a glove. If it's cold, I cut the fingers out of a wool glove and slide it over my shooting glove. If it's really cold, I'll keep a handwarmer in my pocket.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
I've shot both,both have advantages,glove feel more traditional,tab feel more precise with the release,glove feel faster to ¨reload¨. As for warmth I ware croc mitts and flip it when it's time.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Used a glove many years ago, moved to commercial tabs later (Widow, Saunders, etc.) but for the last 15 years or so have preferred simple, self-made one-layer leather 'Marshall-style" tabs worn over a cotton Jersey glove, even during the summer months (practice with the gear you hunt with). Tabs are ridiculously easy to make from scrap leather and cost next to nothing.  They work very well, and they don't interfere with using your fingers when dexterity is needed...just spin them out of the way or attach them to a wrist cord.  They are easy to fit into your pocket (with a spare) and give a better feel at anchor than do most gloves, IMO.  A Jersey cotton glove worn under the tab provides enough warmth for average cold weather (which around here is about from 50 on warm October days down to about 10 degrees on cold November mornings) and the darker color helps keep the hands hidden (hands can 'flash' game as bad as an uncovered face or bow quiver fletching).  

This set-up has worked very well over the years.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
Black Widow cordovan tab, Have used the S.A.M. and I think 3 Rivers still sells them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Every time I try a glove it drives me   NUTS!. It feels like my hand is 6" off my face.  I anchor with my fingertip on one of my teeth.  I need to feel my fingertip and I can only do that with my bare finger or one with a thin silk or smartwool glove on it.

Offline BIG GAME

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I have been shooting gloves with my recurves but am looking to switch to a Hill longbow and would like to try a tab.
Lord of the Lynx

"One bow to rule them all"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I shoot three undewr and like the tab better , plus I can use it with glommits on
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
I am amazed it is sitting at 50/50 right now, I would have never guessed.  Gloves for me.  Tabs never seemed as fast or natural for me.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
I shot a glove for my first 5 years.  I started shooting a #60@28" bow last summer and started having a lot of finger pain.
I switched to a BW tab and can't imagine switching back.
I do, however, think a glove is much more user friendly while hunting.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©