3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Describe your average blood trail  (Read 640 times)

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Describe your average blood trail
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Whip is right,

No two are alike.  However all tracking should have a methodical approach.  I find the following make tracking much easier.

TP - if blood is "sparse" put a small piece of TP on a stick and poke it into the ground.  This sets a pattern.  Obviously direction, but also an idea of where you might expect the next bit of blood to be found.  Evey three feet or every ten?  

A white gas coleman lantern for tracking at night.  Something about the flame from the gas lanterns makes blood stand out where other colors of light do not.  Plus it has the added advantage of keeping your hands warm when it's cold.  I put a reflector on mine, seems to help quite a bit.

If I don't have a dead deer within 125 yards or a blood bath of a trail I'm inclined to wait 6-8 hours or untill morning or late afternoon.  Solid hits GENERALLY produce deer tipping over in eyesight.  Or, just past the point where you can't see them anymore and you start freaking out about what you think you saw vs what really happened!  LOL...

A marginally hit deer can go a long way.  Blood trails out of a bed are usually non-existant.  Bleeding is primarily internal.  IMHO, if they arn't pushed they will lie down and die in their bed or very close to it.

If you haven't been there yet you will be sooner or later, promise.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Yep agreed they are all different no matter where the hit is. What I do know is if there isn't an increase in blood by 50-60 yards the recovery rate goes way down. When you are still finding drips only at 100 yards its time to head to the house and come back the next day.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
[QB]
When a deer is arrowed and it runs away full tilt, I wonder how much blood actually makes it to the ground even with a perfect heart/lung hit.

out of all the deer I have got I never once got to follow blood over snow,, every single deer has been with no snow on the ground or snowing at the time with no snow accumilating.. seems so worry free with a white canvas.
"Us vs Them"

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Things vary greatly, I had one I shot spraying out both side as it ran off but the trail was tough. Everything was dripping from rain and fog.  Wet autumn leaves can make a good trail tough.

When the trail peters out a meticulous and well planned grid search with bulldog determination increases chances. Numerous animals had made it to the dinner table from refusal to give up. Only thugs and inexpierianced give up easy. We owe the critters that much respect if we choose to pursue them.

Chris

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
My average bloodtrail is awesome.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
I would like to add a few things to this that I have observed.  
    First as many know a shot with no exit hole will not look so great as far as blood on the ground is concerned but this in NO WAY means you did not kill the animal.  It just means the blood is filling up in the chest.
    This next one is a big one in my opinion.
If you get a shot and can see a bunch of arrow hanging out of the side of the animal runs off, DO NOT DESPAIR!  You may not have an exit hole, but if you hit the animal in the right spot the animal will die weather there is any blood on the ground or not.  
    Here is an example.  The last buck I shot was quartering away at a steep angle.  I hit him  bit more forward than I would have liked but not much.  As he ran off I could see over half of my arrow sticking out and realized I likely did not have an exit hole and that there would likely be little blood on the ground.  
    Most of the time I like to be right, but this was not one of those times!  When I began tracking I found little blood at all.  After 150 yards it just stopped.  I began to panick and did the grid searching thing to no avail.  This was the morning after I made the shot.  Then I had to go to work.  One thing that bothered me was that I recovered no part of the arrow.  Knowing that they normally break it off while running away, I went back and started at the last blood.  On my hands and knees I eventually found a little more.  This took hours.  I tracked that buck for a total of like 26 yes 26 hours over a three day period after work and eventually found the back half of the arrow.  Not fifty yards after that I found the buck.  Well I found what was left.  Coyotes did a number on him but at least I had closure. If you track an animal and do not find the arrow then you need to keep looking.  The animal will always break the arrow off or die or both.  The animal may live and continue to run, but the arrow will not and will remain stationary.  Find the arrow and go from there.
   When you hit an animal be confident in your abilities and take the situation into consideration and see it through as best as you can.  The rewards are big.
   On another note, I am writting an article that I will send to TBM or PBS.  It is an interview with a black tracker in Africa.  One of the few that could understand enough english to do the interview.  He also happend to be the absolute best tracker I have ever witnessed in my life.  Trust me.  The native black trackers over there would make the best trackers in the U.S. look like beginners.  I never felt more useless in the outdoors than the first time I watched these guys unravel a difficult track in amazingly difficult conditions.  Let me just say that I watched one track a springbok I had shot for over a mile over rock terrain with absolutely no blood.
    There are things to learn from these guys, and I feel this interview will be very beneficial to those who have not actually hunted in Africa and learned from these masters.

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Bloody. Sorry couldn't help it.
Possum the other white meat

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »

Offline HighNTree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Jon,

I enjoyed your posts.  I remember you from the days when I learned to shoot from Rick. I see that you learned your lessons well.

Garcia

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©