3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MA-3 3 blade question?  (Read 276 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
MA-3 3 blade question?
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Having always shot 2 blades out of 60- 70 pound bows im looking for opinions on this new set up.
Sunday i pulled my H.H half Breed off the rack, feeling that it needed some field time,  plus wanting to try a 3 blade head, i went thru my stash and as luck would have it, i found 6 MA-3's .
So after some tinkering i found that the Half Breed 54 lbs at my draw, in combo with 50-55 lb Cedar shafts, and 125 gr. MA-3's flew perfect.
My question is this, since the MA-3's arent as streamlined as the newer B.H's such as the woodsman, will this set up be efficient?

Offline subsonic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MA-3 3 blade question?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
They will be great, provided that you can get them sharp.
Casse Couilles!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Fire up the grill. Hap

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
The bow is 10,000 or more years old... Some have found evidence of 64,000 years ago!

They will work just fine.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
I use two blades now but the MA-3 for years was my broadhead of choice.I shot truck loads of game with them back in the day.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by subsonic:
They will be great, provided that you can get them sharp.
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Ive already got them sharp ( it took a little bit of work) but after these posts im more than confident with my set up. Bring on the weekend!

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
Be sure to post pics of your success. I have several of those heads I intended to use on small game but your results may change my mind.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
I loved them for deer. When I first had the idea for single beveling a three blade, these are the  heads I converted. They worked out great and can be made very sharp with a file. They do not retain an edge as well as some newer heads on the market, but more than enough to prove effective on animals. Good luck!

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I love them. They fly straight, they are tough and they get very sharp. I've killed several mature bull elk with them....
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
I shot my first deer with a bow in 1962 (50 years ago) with an M-A 3

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
Great testimonials by actual MA-3 users, thats what i like to see.
I guess theres a good reason why these heads have survived this many yrs., they get the job done!
and if you think about it, the fact that the MA-3's are still around after all these many yrs. is a testimony in itself.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
I bought some for the first time last winter thinking of using them for small game but when I made up my cedar arrows for this fall, man, they ALL flew like darts. No fuss, no muss. This made me change my mind and they will be used for deer too. I've used snuffers with good success so I expect these will work well too. Having spent most of my bowhunting years using bear razorheads until the snuffer came out, I had not heard of the MA-3 but I'm very happy with their performance so far.
Member NCBA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©