3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever felt like packing up all you own and move to the mountains?  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever felt like packing up all you own and move to the mountains?
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
I think about it every day when I walk into that loud, dirty damn factory that I work in. There are some days that I just want to turn around, grab my bow, and head for the woods. But even the wilderness around here is getting way too crowded for my taste. Thankfully my family owns some property about an hour away that is much more remote. The only time when that place is overcrowded is during the first week of rifle season when all the family, and surrounding land owners' families are there.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Every other day
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Count me in but if we all moved to the mountains then it would be just like this there. If you know what I mean. So I'll just enjoy my moments of escape and keep ploden on.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Me too, looks like something we all have in common.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Been there and done that and unfortunately came back.  It is quite an adjusment especially if you are from the city.  The reality of moving to the mountains and living off of the land is extremely hard to do.  I would love to live there again, but I couldn't just live off the land anymore.  But hopefully someday I can at least move out there again...  Right now I have to settle with just visiting there once in a while.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
That does sound relaxing,and fulfilling. If our government keeps going the way they have been,pretty soon we all my be there together!!

I always think hard on living a back to basic lifestyle when I hear Hank Jr. sing "A country boy can survive" rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I did it 7 years ago, I do love the mountains and the animals.   I domiss my whitetails, and the midwest people.    That said I hunt mule deer, cats, elk, bear and turkeys within 5 minutes of my house.  If your going to do it now is the time!  Housing is actually doable these days.

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2012, 06:24:00 PM »
Every day snd twice as much when i am stuck in boring meetings.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm a City Boy on the outside and a Country Boy on the inside... Got myself a beautiful home in The Catskill Mountains and can't get up there enough... Hurricane Sandy saw to that! Guess I need to keep my city job to pay for a place I can escape to, sometimes.   :dunno:  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Kissner:
I have actually been doing this for 48 years....but only in the summer and fall. We packed up the kids in 1965 and spent time in CO, and hunted mule deer that August. It became a yearly thing that charged our batteries. Since retiring we usually leave IL in June and return in early October after hunting season. Our place is 15 miles from the highway and at 9200' without any utilities at all and surrounded by national forest. Needless to say. we really hate to leave and come home. It is such a joy to be in a remote location for a few months.
I think Bill Kissner has it figured out!  :notworthy:

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
yep..and to add gas to this fire, try reading "One Mans Wilderness"..Also, I lived out of a back pack in the summer of 1972. Lived in Yosemite for awhile and hitch-hiked across Cananda. One of the best summers of my life but I have to tell ya, when I got home and took a hot shower, man did that beat cold baths in mountain streams...jmho.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Yeah, most of us do from time to time. I am semi- retired now, so the pace has slowed down quite a bit, which has cooled the desire to bug out. I now own a small place that I can hunt on and it is only 9 miles from my house. Going out there sure takes the rough edge off things a bit. You younger guys hang in there. Some day you will be able to move out to the boonies or at least spend more time afield. It is truly a soul refreshing thing to sit in a stand without feeling you are neglecting a host of other responsibilities. Still, I would kinda like to hunt the Rockies...
Sam

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Yep, alot............
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2012, 12:38:00 AM »
Not to mention the terrible climate change, that must be real because I just saw Letterman and Katie Curric saying the big storm was all man caused.  Then again way back in Vietnam they could make it rain anytime they wanted, so maybe it is man caused, just not we the people caused. With the increasing infinity out of thin air money supply, it will be difficult to predict how much money it would require to get off the grid.  Something is definitely changing and it is not the climate.  Tonight I called in a very handsome blond coyote, and saw a few deer. I left them all in peace, it was my privilege to be off the grid and in their world for a time. I did kill a branch and a dried up cone flower yesterday in pursuit of turkeys so my shooting quota has been satisfied for a day.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I wish I had something original to add, but yes, every day.

Just recently, my youngest son (21, currently in college here in Michigan) decided to transfer out to Colorado, and finish his education as a "wildlands firefighter". My wife is a wreck over it, so I sort of hold my tongue, but I am happy for his decision. I will miss him, but I hope he sticks to it out there, and creates the life most of us dream about.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline mgompf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Right now would be good!
When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and
with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20
feet closer to God.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Yep.

Wife has an uncle who did back in the 1980's sold everything and moved to Alaska.  Back then you could homestead and that's what he did.  20 miles from his nearest neibor and over a mile from the road.  No electricity, phones,  nothing.  Now he has a place in what he calls a town but he also still has the homestead and spends about half his time there.

I need to take him up on his invite to come and hunt moose.  He's a period black powder nut who uses Hawken stlye stuff, so I think he and my recurves would get along real nice.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
What that would be like is lots of back breaking labor, a whole new way of doing things and if you have a wife/kids that like their amenities, lots of arguments.
And a whole better way of living, peace and quiet, total satisfaction with looking after yourself and a much healthier body.
Seems like a pretty good idea, on the whole.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 05:43:00 PM »
Every Day!
James Kerr

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
When I was younger and in better health. Since I got old and feeble I just ditched the cell phone (no reception here anyway) and moved to the hills.

These 700' ridges are like the Bitterroots to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©