3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: using Thunderhead broadheads - why not ?  (Read 552 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
using Thunderhead broadheads - why not ?
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
A) extremely durable, never a tip curl
B) ultra razor sharp blades
C) never needs sharpening, just replace
D) flies great

I'd love to stick a big cut on impact head on my graphlex arrows -  but I keep coming back to my Thunderheads.

I've shot trad 3 years, my only trad kill was with a Thunderhead. Since then I've lost deer with cut on impact heads, and a G% Striker.

So my question is ...... if I can't get a resharpenable broadhead ultra sharp, why not use a Thunderhead ? The A,B,C,D above I know to absolute true because I've used them for years.

I am shooting a 56# Zipper, 500+ grain Graphlex shafts (without the broadhead) and drawing about 28"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: using Thunderhead broadheads - why not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
shoot what you like and trust...who says you can't shoot Thunderheads?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Thunderheads are a great head if you have enough horse power to drive em.  Your Zipper is probably fine to do the trick on Whitetails with that head.  If you go to bigger game, I'd go with a cut to the point to get better penetration.  I'm totally paranoid about an exit wound and will go to extremes to get it.  My setup shoots my WW through elk everytime and that makes me happy.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
I used Thunderheads for years when I shot wheels and killed lots of animals with no problems.  Of all the replacable blade heads made I think they are one of the best.  
Since switching to traditional 5 years ago I haven't used them.  I did take me awhile, but eventually I learned how to sharpen a cut on contact head.
With your set up on deer sized game and good shot placement I think they will do the job.  But if you can overcome some of the other obstacles like sharpening, good flight, and pick a durable head, I do think the cut on contact offer an advantage on larger game and/or less than desirable shot placement.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Larry d Jones shoots em,have seen the BowHunter show with him in Africa useing Thunderheads.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Thunderheads are great blades, except they come apart when hitting bone sometimes....I've taken a half dozen elk with them using a compound, and seen a bunch more harvested with others using them....But i haven't much experience with them at slower speeds....common sense tells me a two blade is the ticket for traditional style...we'll see...I'm field testing Land sharks, Steel force & Magnus right now and they all fly great! We'll see how much damage they do on some critter here pretty soon. Those Land sharks look wicked!

my 02 cents......Kirk

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
The main part of this whole gig is to enjoy yourself to the fullest. Don`t cause yourself a moments grief using something you don`t want to use.

Personally I ENJOY sharpening broadheads. If I didn`t, I would probably shoot a Thunderhead.

Happy hunting.  ;)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I've killed a bunch of deer with Thunderhead 125's.
Otto

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
You killed one with a Thunderhead, and lost two with other blades. People have lost deer with T-heads and killed them with cut on impact. You are still in the early stage of the experiment. I'll bet on the cut on impact. Have you tried a Stinger?              Former Thunderhead User

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
Thunderheads are fine heads.  I shot a ton of deer with them when I shot my hand-drawn compound.  Never had any blades come off or any problems whatsoever.  If you have a bow with decent speed, you'll blow right through a deer.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I have Thunderheads and have used them for years.  I would not hesitate to use them.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
I have shot deer with them, and with good results. If the blades come out, they were not put in right in the first place. I always tug on them after they are on the shaft. I have even tested them on a few trees. They also resharpen well with a Tru Angle ceramic stone. That being said, I am really loving Razorcaps.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I shoot my Muzzy's all the time and they do great, I just touch up the trocar tip on a diamond stone and they cut on contact as well.  Have taken alot of animals with those heads, big and small.  Replaceable blade heads will work just fine with adequate arrow and bow weight.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
I've killed several deer with my 125 grain Thunderheads and a round wheel PSE set at 62 pounds. I would not hesitate to use them again with my 50 to 55 pound long bows. With that said I have no problem sharpening my WW, Magnus or Muzzy heads and they are my heads of choice out of my traditional equipment.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
If a WW, Snuffer, or Razorcap works, I would guess a Thunderhead would be fine.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
I don't waste a lot of time worrying if anyone else approves of much of anything I do.  I figure I have to please the Good Lord, my wife, and my boss in that order, and that's about it.

So being, I shoot vane fletched aluminium arrows off an elevated rest on a couple of my recurves. Just ordered an SRF sight to experiment with.  I've been using Magnus broadheads but in the next few days will begin testing arrow flight & accuracy with 3 blade replaceable broadheads.  I even shoot my compound bows regularly.      :eek:      

The way I see it, I'm an archer and bowhunter before I'm Trad or Modern.

So I say shoot em' and have a ball...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
There probably isn't a bigger fan of thunderheads out there than me. THat said I will not be shooting them on my trad setup. I don't feel it has adequate power for good penetration. Maybe on a different/faster setup I'd be so inclined, but not my current one.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by rybohunter:
There probably isn't a bigger fan of thunderheads out there than me. THat said I will not be shooting them on my trad setup. I don't feel it has adequate power for good penetration. Maybe on a different/faster setup I'd be so inclined, but not my current one.
Amen brother...amen

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
What about the newer Hellrazor?  What is the opinion on these?  I am currently set up with Magnus Stingers but have looked a the Hellrazor and the G5 Montec.  

Even looking at the Razorcaps.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
They are a great head , used them for years in 125gr.  You should have no issues w/ them.  Mike
Big Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©