3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: moccasins?  (Read 452 times)

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
moccasins?
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
anybody have any suggestions? I would like a good quality pair to wear hunting but also with jeans, maybe short boot style? Not sure about traction in ones with a smooth bottom either. Anybody have any alternative soles with a trad appearance? Many thanks!

Offline Phrogdrvr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: moccasins?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I love my Carl Dyer Rendezvous moccasins.  Built to last and feel good on my feet.  I wear them when I make my feeble attempt at still hunting.

Tom

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I love, love, love my Arrow Moccasins

(price was right, also)

New

Broken In

Liked them so much, I bought a low top pair. I wear these to walk the dog, to the store, etc. Barefoot or with socks, they are great. I wish I'd found these 10 years ago.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
DYERS ALL THE WAY, they are the best, look great feel great.but dont even think of wearing them in wet or muddy areas you will wind up on your butt sooooo quick you wont know what hit ya.beleave me I know.I wear mine all the time they are however too hot in the summer.I mostly wear mine around the house an to the store,mine are double elk an buffalo.you could probally get a pair with a sole but you may sacrifice some comfort.I think I paid 285. for mine good luck your feet will love you for it.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Another vote for Arrows. Great mocs.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:00 PM »
I own a pair of Foot Skins.
They feel great and look real nice. I wear them more often to town than outta town.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Arrows.  Mine are 3 yrs old they have so formed to my feet that I dont have to lace them for quick trips to the barn or wood pile. I have the 3 hole lace boot like TxAg posted.  Absolutely  great mocs.  It's really nice to buy something that is of such high quality at a reasonable price and hand crafted as opposed to  being put together in a sweat shop in China at the expense of some one elses misfortune.
You won't be sorry.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Those Arrows look sweet! TxAg, get some new pants.   :bigsmyl:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by wooddamon1:
Those Arrows look sweet! TxAg, get some new pants.    :bigsmyl:  
No kidding. I am hard on pants and can never seem to find a durable pair that are also quiet.....i should start a "pants" thread on here. Actually, i just might

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:41:00 PM »
These leather soled shoes are very suitable for town use. But, once in the woods you will find the smooth surface very slippery!

Moccasins, real native moccasins, are made of buckskin. Thinner, softer, more beathable, and they grip better,  and wear out much faster. They are largly disposable.

In summer weather, unless travelling, barefoot was the standard.

Rubber soled shoes changed the game!

You might look into a minimalist shoe - I like Merrell Barefoot trail shoes, when I need more protection or traction than going bare.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by 57HOP:
These leather soled shoes are very suitable for town use. But, once in the woods you will find the smooth surface very slippery!

Moccasins, real native moccasins, are made of buckskin. Thinner, softer, more beathable, and they grip better,  and wear out much faster. They are largly disposable.

In summer weather, unless travelling, barefoot was the standard.

Rubber soled shoes changed the game!

You might look into a minimalist shoe - I like Merrell Barefoot trail shoes, when I need more protection or traction than going bare.
I haven't hunted in the rain yet, but i haven't had any issues with wet grass or the like.  I can see where they might be slick in some instances, but I certainly would never limit their use to "town"

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 11:55:00 PM »
I got the Foot Skins with crepe sole.
Quiet, durable and I think, I'm up to five years now.

Mr.57HOP is right...
I only wear shoes 3 months out of the year, for 15 years now....

I have Nike Free 5.0, those offer as much freedom as mocs but are neon colored and not exactly durable. Great for a stalk or a session in the squat rack...

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 05:55:00 AM »
TTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
I have the arrow boots.  I only have one complaint, the uppers are too stiff.  They are the same gauge leather as the soles and don't have enough flexibility for me.  I'm hoping they soften up with time...

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I make my own. I've been making moccasins for many years,never had problem with slipping, but I make mine with thinner leather then commercial mocs. Alot of good resources out there to help you get started. Even one here on the Gang in how to if I remember right. You do have to get good at patching though.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I wear these. They are very soft until they get soaked a few times.  I save a soft pair just because they are comfortable and warmer than uninsulated boots.  http://shop.mukluks.com/Tracker-Chestnut-Moccasins/productinfo/TKNUT/

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Very interesting thread. I really want to some day start making my own moccasins. I started going barefoot a lot more around the farm and orchard and the main problem is you get used to how comfortable, quiet, and agile barefeet are. Then you put on your hiking boots and you feel like some kind of awkward robot with clown shoes!!

Now, as I get ready for this seasons hunting trips I am having a hard time trying to reconcile my feet and my hiking boots...

As far as alternative sole materials go. There is a mixture of Barge Cement and recycled tire shavings that can go on leather soled mocassins and make them grippy but you can still feel the ground. A great half-way point in my opinion. You can apply it as thick as you like.

I'm currently trying these out:
 http://www.sodhoppers.com/html/styles.html

They are definitely quiet and comfortable but they are pricey and I am not sure what they will be like in bad weather.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas. Gonna take a hard look at the arrows, more in my price range. Where do you get the cement tire shaving mix you described?

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
I've got Dyers 2 pair, Russell 1 pair, Minnetonka 1 pair, and 1 pair elk skin mocs no name close in style to Dyers by far the best I have ever tryed on are Itasca Leathergoods Moccasins, felt like my feet died and went on ahead of me, a bit costly but If I'm ever in need again I'll by Itasca.  For the one's I own and wear the Russell's get top billing for all around use and comfort.  Beware wearing mocs around town my elksikn mocs bottoms are smooth as glass, but they are also 25 years old give or take..

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
All my son wears are moccasins.  He wore out two pair of Dyers in a couple of years and went to Arrow's and bought one pair for the woods and a dress pair for work and they look good and last.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©